GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Windnoise problem resolved

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-18, 07:55 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 552 Likes on 401 Posts

Kind of interesting that this thread reemerged. My 18 has this issue at speeds above 65. It's been so faint but is a little annoying. There are so many thoughts on this from the original post. I'm not sure my small town Lexus dealer would even know how to address this issue. It's a little strange how the noise can come and go. One day I was on the highway heading east and it whistled in that direction. Coming back going west it didn't make any noise at all. This is really a strange issue for me, the noise sounds like it's coming from the upper left portion of the drivers side window. I tried some silicone grease on the weatherstrip in that area thinking the w-strip wasn't seating fully against the door jam. Unfortunately that didn't correct it. Anyone else experiencing this issue? It's obvious Lexus didn't correct this problem from the 2012 cars up to the 18's.
Old 08-18-18, 10:33 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Originally Posted by charley95
Kind of interesting that this thread reemerged. My 18 has this issue at speeds above 65. It's been so faint but is a little annoying. There are so many thoughts on this from the original post. I'm not sure my small town Lexus dealer would even know how to address this issue. It's a little strange how the noise can come and go. One day I was on the highway heading east and it whistled in that direction. Coming back going west it didn't make any noise at all. This is really a strange issue for me, the noise sounds like it's coming from the upper left portion of the drivers side window. I tried some silicone grease on the weatherstrip in that area thinking the w-strip wasn't seating fully against the door jam. Unfortunately that didn't correct it. Anyone else experiencing this issue? It's obvious Lexus didn't correct this problem from the 2012 cars up to the 18's.
Yet only a small number of owners experience this problem.
Old 08-18-18, 07:42 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Maybe it’s just me having this car as my first luxury vehicle of my own but I haven’t noticed very much wind noise. There is tire noise however which I’ve read is just cause of the crappy tires they put on stock. I’ve also seen some people add insulation which I may look into later
Old 08-19-18, 04:50 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bclexus
Yet only a small number of owners experience this problem.
It's such a minor issue and it doesn't happen all the time. I'm not sure I'll even pursue it at this point unless it would get worse.
Old 10-20-18, 06:30 AM
charley95
Pole Position

It appears the GSF guys are experiencing this issue too. As the weather gets cooler the wind noise is more prevalent. Some guys are claiming the wind aero around the mirrors could be causing it too. I'll fold my mirrors in next time and see what happens.
Old 10-23-18, 01:25 PM
charley95
Pole Position

It appears the GSF guys are experiencing this issue too. As the weather gets cooler the wind noise is more prevalent. Some guys are claiming the wind aero around the mirrors could be causing it too. I'll fold my mirrors in next time and see what happens.
Folding the mirrors in while driving eliminates the wind noise. It's aero related at least on my car. Not quite sure what I can do to correct it. Ideas anyone??
Old 10-24-18, 01:19 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Ideas anyone?
Old 10-25-18, 04:59 AM
rytmask
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ideas anyone?
Use painters tape on all gaps / rubber seals in the mirror and the mounting area, than remove one by one.
Once you find the noisy bit - fix the seal by putting something underneath the noisy seal.
Old 10-25-18, 07:34 AM
donkiboy
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This only happened to me once ('15 GS350) and it was right after I washed & dried the car. Maybe I was too rough in towel drying the weatherstrip / door jam, but this has never happened again.
Old 10-25-18, 01:44 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

Anyone know what causes the wind noise near the drivers door handle? it's very minor, but I can hear it when on the highway... I inspected the weatherstripping etc and it looks normal. It almost sounds like its coming from near where the door handle is or the edge of the
door.

-Mike
Old 10-25-18, 04:11 PM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by drgrant
Anyone know what causes the wind noise near the drivers door handle? it's very minor, but I can hear it when on the highway... I inspected the weatherstripping etc and it looks normal. It almost sounds like its coming from near where the door handle is or the edge of the
door.

-Mike
There is a seal between the window glass and door on the inside of the car, referred to as the "inner belt molding". That seal seems to be pretty sensitive, meaning that if it is not in exactly right place, you will hear wind noise. I had my driver's door panel replaced by the dealer because the handrest was getting wrinkles. After they first replaced the panel, I could hear significantly more wind noise coming from the window than before. I took it back and they found that they had forgotten to install the seal between the window glass and the door. They installed it and the wind noise decreased but it never went down to the level when the car had the original panel.
Old 10-26-18, 04:53 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rytmask
Use painters tape on all gaps / rubber seals in the mirror and the mounting area, than remove one by one.
Once you find the noisy bit - fix the seal by putting something underneath the noisy seal.
Good tip. I'll try those out and see what happens.
Old 10-26-18, 09:13 AM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by bb700092
There is a seal between the window glass and door on the inside of the car, referred to as the "inner belt molding". That seal seems to be pretty sensitive, meaning that if it is not in exactly right place, you will hear wind noise. I had my driver's door panel replaced by the dealer because the handrest was getting wrinkles. After they first replaced the panel, I could hear significantly more wind noise coming from the window than before. I took it back and they found that they had forgotten to install the seal between the window glass and the door. They installed it and the wind noise decreased but it never went down to the level when the car had the original panel.
This is good to know, the noise I hear, is very "distinct" if that makes sense, in the region that its coming from... it's almost like a "quiet whistle"... as though there's a tiny air leak in the gasket or something. It's only audible above 50 mph or so, too.

-Mike
Old 10-26-18, 12:07 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Spend a couple bucks on some stick-on bumper pads like used on cabinet doors. Temporarily stick some on the top and underneath of the side mirror as close to the mirror as possible. See if the stick-on dots reduce or eliminate the wind noise by purposely causing aerodynamic turbulence to help break-up the airflow noise. If doing this does not help any, then look for a gap that is causing the wind noise, or possibly a missing or ill-fitting seal. As shown in the golf club image below the "Turbulators' on the top of the club help create better aerodynamics, which may eliminate wind noise.

Old 10-26-18, 11:58 PM
charley95
Pole Position

I'll just tell everyone my mirror has zits.
The following users liked this post:
ShinyLexi (09-23-20)