GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

CNET Reviews New GS...Not a Fan Of Joystick

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-12, 05:54 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Personally, I feel that the joystick on the GS is a little safer to use - here's why.

On my earlier car, I had the touchscreen navigation. To use it, a short(er) driver (like my mom) would have to lean over (not a whole lot - but noticeable) to reach the buttons on the screen corners.

Now, imagine if they had used touchscreen on the large navigation screen on the 4GS (screen is not at the dashboard level - it is deeper inside). It would definitely require the (average height) driver to lean over significantly to use the touch screen (even if the screen was pulled to dashboard level) - try it.

With the joystick, the driver doesn't have to lean - at all. It is positioned in a way that every driver can easily reach it.
(dedicated Enter and Back buttons would certainly have helped even with the joystick)

Just my $0.02

(Luckily, Voice command is pretty good on the 4GS and that replaces the joystick use a lot of times)
Old 05-17-12, 06:37 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 211 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine
I find it quite ridiculous that Lexus have chosen to move back 15 years or so to joystick controls just as the world fully embraces touch screens on tablets and phones. It's like something out of the ark, I gather they copied BMW idrive?
If this is the case, then we're just in a waiting game. It took BMW a while to get iDrive sorted out to a point where it doesn't suck, and the newest revision is actually pretty great. This is Lexus' first attempt at making the same move, so they have most of that learning curve in front of them. The second revision will certainly suck less, and the 3rd or 4th might actually be decent.
Old 05-17-12, 09:01 AM
PDubs
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

iDrive v1.0 redux.
Old 05-17-12, 09:43 AM
Chris8152
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Although I have ordered a new GS, due end of June, we haven’t as off yet got any demonstration cars here in the UK so I haven’t had a chance to play with this joystick system, but it must be better then a screen full of finger prints
Old 05-17-12, 07:49 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

For those who are not sure and haven't tried the joystick - try it please.

It's great. The voice control is also good.

When I get back from my weeks on end of traveling, I'm going to record myself using the joystick to enter an address and show you guys that you can enter a city, street, and street number in less than 30 seconds.

Touch screens are not going to be the future of cars. They're not safe, they require you to move your hand further away from the steering wheel/armrest (which are both safer than hovering and leaning forward), and they require you to take your eyes off the road much more than a joystick does.

This is my personal opinion - but if I was going to take a $500 bet on whether in 10 years joysticks/remotes/fingerpads by the centre armest are going to be gone, or whether touchscreens are going to be gone. I'd bet against touchscreens. Without hesitation. (this is for driver-oriented car technology. I'm not saying tablets or touchscreen phones are going anywhere).
Old 05-17-12, 08:06 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

That CT has the RX mouse....that's why he liked it better...because it is.
Old 05-18-12, 07:54 PM
nantang
Driver

I noticed how much smaller the Remote Touch controller is on the GS than on the RX--the joystick itself, not the whole mouse-shaped assembly thing. I wonder how much of a stretch it would be to add a second controller on the steering wheel itself, to control with one's thumb, beside the other buttons already there? The precision wouldn't likely be as great, so we'd still need the mouse-thing.

That is, until an X-Box-style motion sensor comes along that lets you point at the screen without having to touch it. Doing that while driving, though, sounds even worse than touch screens.

Hard buttons for frequent tasks probably aren't going anywhere, at least for AC controls, volume up and down on the audio, and basic things like starting the car.
Old 05-20-12, 11:22 PM
MacLexN
Rookie

Originally Posted by Chris8152
Although I have ordered a new GS, due end of June, we haven’t as off yet got any demonstration cars here in the UK so I haven’t had a chance to play with this joystick system, but it must be better then a screen full of finger prints
Joystick is kinda fun on our RX ... Takes some getting used to, but you'll like it ... The nav screen on the new GS is amazing, a friend of mine has one.
Old 05-23-12, 11:18 AM
gkcmilner
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

At first I was a little skeptical but after using it for a month I now "get it". I can now just give the screen a quick glance and then move the curser by feel and get what I want. It's excellent! At first I had a tendency to over-shoot, but then I reduced the feedback force and now I have no problem.
Taking it on a test drive isn't going to do it much justice because it's one of those things that work best from habit. I find it way better than my LS touchscreen; and i like how my eyes don't strain to refocus so much since the screen is so far out in front. Now, the voice commands I'm not so impressed with.
Old 05-23-12, 12:15 PM
djpeakSD
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Yeah, the GS joystick is awful. Tried using it today, while driving....not possible. Might as well let my 2 year old drive...same result. At least put a GD "ENTER" button on the sides like they have for the RX....trying to move the joystick and then push down all the while hoping to Christ it doesn't move in the process is infuriating. One of these automakers needs to partner with Apple, or Google, or whoever, just get it right. Ford/Microsoft is not the model.

/rant

Are you serious? Dude change the feedback settings! This system is awesome and works really good. I don't think it has moved on me once when trying to push enter.
Old 05-23-12, 08:46 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusGSFGO
I totally agree on all points. I too am tech savvy, and this is by far the best user interface I've seen on any car. The problem with touch screens is 1) they need to be much closer to the user, which makes it more difficult to see and 2) inputing directly on the screen using both your eyes and your hands is much more disctracting than using the control on the GS. What I like most about it, is my hand is resting in a comfortable position and all I have to do is move my eyes slightly away from the road while using it. Once you get used to it, I can use it without ever taking my eyes off the road. For example, I know Destination is all the way to the left, which I can easily get to without looking. Another example, is getting to traffic reports. After hitting menu, I move the cursor all the way to the left, and than one click to right and press down, then I move it one up and one to the right and press down again. I can do this consistenly without ever taking my eyes off the road. IMHO all this is much less distracting than either searching for a physical or virtual (touch screen) button.

Selecting these functions without looking is impossible with a touch sreen interface. I love the feedback, but you need to adjust it so it's confortable for you. I also removed the sound feedback, as I found this unnessary and a bit annoying. I also agree the voice recognition is the best I've seen. Just my 2 cents.
+1. I had two 2GS's with touch screen for Nav and HVAC and they were a pain in the ***. Also, as you said, adjusting the feedback is crucial to making it work.