LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Help! Infiniti Trying To Lure Me From Lexus With New M

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-10, 03:35 PM
LexRock
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Infiniti Trying To Lure Me From Lexus With New M

Anyone here seen the new '11 M from Infiniti? Test drove yesterday from friend's recommendation. WOW!! Like a Rocket. Nice styling upgrade. Entirely different approach from LS. Both LS and M have many things going for them. But I think Infiniti has brought a strong entry into the market.

I've been with Lexus since 96 and was considering the '10 LS but the decision is a bit tougher after driving the '11 M56 with 420hp. We were up to 90 before the end of the block!!! Salesman's first drive and he was crazy excited.

What are your thoughts about the comparision of these two? I guess I'm admitting that I need to be resold on the LS all over again. Not that crazy about GS. Could use your help. Any other makes and models that might compare favorably? As always, these boards are invaluable!! Thanks!
Old 03-31-10, 04:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

the new M is a big improvement, better, more power, though i am not a fan of the exterior at all (personal preference).

but still it's a car in the GS league (together with the 5 series and e class). it's not in the same segment as the LS. LS is bigger and different target.

M is more of a drivers car and LS is more of a flagship.

so i think it's more about what kind of car you want. if you like the driving feel and such, M is probably a better car. but if you want comfort and status, LS might have the edge
Old 03-31-10, 05:51 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

give us a review at least!!
Old 04-01-10, 04:30 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

wow, on paper it's pretty good comparo...
http://compare.infinitiusa.com/NNACo...?page=features
so are the dimensions...
http://compare.infinitiusa.com/NNACo...page=techspecs

if these two cars came out at the same time, then LS460 no comparsion, however since the M56 is so new and LS460 is getting older, "hype" in the M is getting higher and higher
Old 04-01-10, 04:41 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

the Japs already improving on Merc's new tech "Blind Spot Warning". The "M" has "Blind Spot Intervention System", actually moves you back to the center of the lane if a car is in your blind spot... They call it "WORLDS FIRST", but I can't give them credit for merely improving a new tech...
http://www.infinitiusa.com/m/key_fea...ures.M.Home.T1.
Old 04-01-10, 06:23 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Im liking the new M personally, but as Henry mentioned, its definitely in the same class as the GS.

I'm going to hold off till the new GS comes out since the current one is about 5 years old. Nothing like domestic rivalry to keep Lexus on its toes.
Old 04-01-10, 07:19 AM
ls460love
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll respond from a very different pov. My close friend owns a 2008 m35x. He does an awful lot of hwy driving and is averaging a terrible 17 mpg. The interior is noisy as hell and the poor suspension coupled with 18's really jars you over even small bumps.

Now that's the old M and this is the new. No doubt there's much that will be improved upon, but let's remember that it is still built on the maxima platform and shares much of the componentry throughout.

The LS is a flagship all on it's own. There are many Lexus models that are Toyota through and through, but not the LS. There isn't one Infinity platform that you won't find on the Nissan lot.
Old 04-01-10, 07:38 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by ls460love
Now that's the old M and this is the new. No doubt there's much that will be improved upon, but let's remember that it is still built on the maxima platform and shares much of the componentry throughout. .
Maxima is FWD

The new M looks like an awesome car, but I don't care for it's design/styling inside and out, way too many curves. But I will not make a final judgement until I have sat in/driven one
Old 04-01-10, 08:19 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Don't mean to diss the M, but really we're talking apples and oranges here...

The M is a nice car in its own right, but it is in a different class altogether.
Old 04-01-10, 10:56 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I say go for it if you want it. This is a PRO LEXUS site, so dont expect folks to have you to think Infiniti is better. Do YOU fellow member. LIFE is short and its yours, make a choice you feel great with. Opinions are cool but, there are many cars out there and all cars that aren't Lexus aren't bad despite what is said here. All cars are capable of being troublesome. DO YOU!!! L.G.N.M
Old 04-01-10, 01:16 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

The resale is terrible with Infiniti vehicles.

Stick with Lexus...
Old 04-01-10, 02:44 PM
BAD RIDES

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

M is a very nice car but your comparing a sports sedan to a luxury sedan now put that m against a bmw 550i v 8 at 400 hp or m5 v10 at 550 hp and you wont look back trust me as for the LS460 it is in a league with 750 mercedes s550 and the Infinity Q45 do they even make that car still?? hmmm I wonder why beacuse the LS430 put that thing to bed WAIT for the new Lexus GS
Old 04-01-10, 06:10 PM
htn
Driver School Candidate

I've owned 2 M45's an FX and a G.
Not a huge fan of the M after 5 years of ownership.
Previous poster said it all with noise and tramlining issue.
Quite a few M owners are having trouble with oil consumption from the V8.
I was really looking forward to the new M. Unfortunately, it did not impress me in the looks department. It's an okay car, but not for $64K(M56). Especially in this economy, I doubt they will sell many.
I'm currently in the market for a used LS 460. Hopefully I'll be happy for once.
Old 04-02-10, 07:58 AM
LexRock
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to all for the invaluable advice. I, admittedly, am concerned about the quality of the M a few years "down the road". I won't spend nearly 70K on a car that rattles! Plus oil consumption shouldn't be a prob either. Unacceptable. During test drive, I did notice much more road noise in M than LS. And that Levinson sound system is practically a deal closer all by itself!!! The knowledge and common sense on this board is bringing me to my senses.

Now.....what kind of discounts can I expect to get from Lexus between now and May? Any recent purchase experience? Big thanks Rominl, Usermel, Burnaby and CL!!!
Old 04-05-10, 12:15 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, let's be objective.

First, the new M is a total redesign, so it's not comparable to the old one. I know - I had an '06 M45 and I've driven three of the new M's. The new one is quite an improvement over the old one IMO.

It is far quieter - in part due to more soundproofing and better tires (Michelins v. Goodyear RSA's) and in part due to active noise cancellation technology.

Second, the "oil consumption" issue they had was on a limited run of the old engine, and involved some faulty castings that were overly porous. Not a problem with the car or the engine design, just some bad castings. The new car has a completely different engine anyway.

Thirdly, anyone getting 17 mpg on the highway needs to go see the service department or give his driving habits a serious review. All-wheel-drive cars are going to get worse mileage, but not THAT bad! On top of that, the old 5-spd transmission has now been replaced with a 7-speed, so mileage should be improved.

Last, I have trouble comparing this car with the GS. It's not an LS-L, but it's FAR roomier than the GS. For that matter, the Infiniti G is roomier than the GS! I can "sit behind myself" in the new M and have 3 inches between the seat back and my knees ... only a little less than in my SWB LS.Headroom in the back is light years beyond the cramped GS, and the M has a bigger trunk.

I personally LOVE the styling. I think it's far better looking than the old one, but I guess tastes differ. The interior quality - materials and build quality - is virtually on par with the LS IMO. With the exception of soft-close doors and park hold, the M has about the same equipment as the LS - power folding mirrors, heated steering wheel, rear power sun shade, etc., etc. I honestly couldn't tell any difference in interior sound levels between the M and my LS. The ride quality was little bit more firm than my LS, but it also made it handle better!

In fact, I'm impressed enough that I'll be driving a new M as soon as I can get a couple more lease payments paid down so I'm not so upside-down on my LS. By then, they'll have some stock built up and I can pick my color and equipment.

To the OP - I don't think you'll go wrong with the new M. And it's a bunch less expensive than an LS.

Quick Reply: Help! Infiniti Trying To Lure Me From Lexus With New M