LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Finally.... DeMuro Discusses The LS

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-18, 09:28 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts
Default Finally.... DeMuro Discusses The LS

Doug Demuro reviews cars on his YT channel from all walks of life and he can be quite interesting to watch...

He finally covers the beloved LS400;

Old 05-31-18, 10:29 AM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

That was a crappy review.
Old 05-31-18, 10:42 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

OK... just watched.. not sure what the hype/excitement is about.
Contradicted himself from the review to the ratings and definitely is not a fan of the car.
Worked hard to compare it to a new 2018 LS .... we all know that's impossible.
The car is 28 years old... at the time is was an industry trendsetter and set new standards.
Not really fair to compare it to a 2018 model, what's the point... if the new one isn't hands down better, then Lexus has a huge problem.

Not impressed with his style and won't be scouring you tube for his other reviews...
Your opinion may vary... and that's OK.
Old 05-31-18, 06:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

First off, that car is in incredible shape.

His reviews are supposed to be funny and quirky. He's one of my favorites on YouTube.

You miss the point of why he was comparing it to the 2018, he wasn't trying to say it should have been what the 2018 is, what he found interesting was the comparison with what the car was and what it had become, and as an extension what luxury cars were and what they have become. I thought the size comparison was incredible!

The car is 28 years old... at the time is was an industry trendsetter and set new standards.
And he said that....repeatedly.

I'd be interested to know what he thought of the ride quality on newer tires. Those Pirelli P4000s are OLD. Seriously, those are probably the tires that replaced the originals and are only the second set the car has had on it. Have a HUGE impact on ride. My 98 LS400 on air suspension was an incredibly soft smooth riding car even by todays standards.
Old 05-31-18, 06:26 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

ahhh yes the good ol 90’s era, back when real cars were built.
Old 05-31-18, 07:29 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 283 Likes on 220 Posts

Good to finally see him review an LS, and a good example at that.

I was also disappointed with his review. Some feature overviews were nice, but I wish he went over the memory seats and mentioned details like how this was the first car to wear the Lexus badge and modern Toyota emblem, as well as the car's low coefficient of drag.

His video would have been enhanced if he made his comparisons with other luxury cars of the time. I get Doug's style and that the Doug Score is by him and for him, but he's comparing two cars with two very different definitions of luxury
Old 06-01-18, 05:02 AM
spuds
Racer

Originally Posted by SW17LS
First off, that car is in incredible shape.

His reviews are supposed to be funny and quirky. He's one of my favorites on YouTube.
He was a favorite of mine too.After that incredibly uninformed review his credibility went right out the window for me.I wont be wasting any more time on him.

When he did the acceleration test he looked like Elvis straining right before he fell off the commode.When I blast on to the freeway,or blow off a tailgater going up the mountain Im smiling like a Cheshire cat.

Last edited by spuds; 06-01-18 at 05:08 AM.
Old 06-01-18, 10:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spuds
He was a favorite of mine too.After that incredibly uninformed review his credibility went right out the window for me.I wont be wasting any more time on him.
I think you're letting your personal feelings about the LS talk here lol. There was nothing different about that review vs any of his other reviews, it just so happens that review was of a car that is special to you.

I didn't find the video uninformed at all. What did he get wrong? Credibility? He's a guy who makes funny YouTube videos about cars LOL

Its just a car, lighten up. I thoroughly enjoyed the review, I actually watched it twice. Even my wife liked it because of being able to see how the old car compared with our car, and she would rather watch paint dry than watch any of the car stuff I watch.

When he did the acceleration test he looked like Elvis straining right before he fell off the commode.When I blast on to the freeway,or blow off a tailgater going up the mountain Im smiling like a Cheshire cat.
Your car has 50 more HP, VVT and a 5 speed transmission. He was not driving the same model you have, the 98-00 is much quicker than older LS400s, 2 seconds quicker 0-60.

Last edited by SW17LS; 06-01-18 at 10:34 AM.
Old 06-01-18, 11:13 AM
spuds
Racer

Reply deleted.Waste of electrons.
Old 06-01-18, 12:17 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

Was still cool for him to show an LS, though, regardless. It's not often you get a glimpse of one thats in that good of shape.

-Mike
Old 06-01-18, 01:55 PM
dashan
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would like to know whether the new LS has the "ball cooling vent" just below the wheel, a feature I like most in the old LS400.
Old 06-01-18, 02:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dashan
I would like to know whether the new LS has the "ball cooling vent" just below the wheel, a feature I like most in the old LS400.
It does not! My LS460 doesn’t either. Cars past the 04 refresh LS430 have knee airbags underneath the steering wheel that made them have to do away with that vent unfortunately.
Old 06-01-18, 07:03 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

i know i'm certainly letting my feelings for the LS interfere here (can't help it) but i certainly think it deserves a "doug score" of more than 1 point higher than a FWD V6 hyundai despite the two being separated by a decade. i also only have my LS to draw comparisons to but unless it's actually a significant amount more comfortable than a 1990 i was surprised to hear him give comfort a 7 and use a word like harsh to describe the ride quality. he even had an air suspension model! i know the 1998-2000 at least is one of the most comfortable, best riding cars i've ever come across and i have a long list to chose from, including all 3 prior models of S-Class. if anything i'd argue the 400 is even smoother since it has fat tires (by today's standards at least) and a ride that strongly prioritizes absolute comfort over flat nimble handling.

also only giving quality a 7 doesn't seem right but oh well i'll let the internet sort that one out... another thing also to remember is that he used to have a category for "importance" or industrial significance but has since replaced that with "fun factor" so i'm sure the absence of that category hurt the LS. last main gripe i had was with the value score. the original LS was considered such good value even when brand new, rival companies like bmw for instance literally accused toyota of dumping and deliberately undercutting them. considering a 1998-2000 can be had for like under $2000 now idk how it's not considered an unbelievably good value. i certainly can't think of another vehicle that good which can be bought for so cheap that will still work great for years to come.

i'm by no means up in arms over this video and i will of course keep watching doug, but it also seems like he really didn't take it out on the highway or really get to above town speeds, because that's where the LS really shines and totally justifies the engineering that went into it. now i'm really curious to see doug review a century lol...
Old 06-01-18, 07:13 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by dashan
lol the ball vent is awesome, one of those little things you'd never notice kinda like the 3rd visor in the middle
Old 06-01-18, 08:06 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I know he reviewed a very low mileage 1990 LS, but the tires were Pirelli P4000s! C'mon! those have to be at least 15 years old! and the suspension was nearly 30 years old. Those two things right there greatly affected the ride quality on this car and would've done so on any car. This was probably one of those dealer showroom cars that never gets driven off the floor, maybe on special occasions, so it's probably sat for a considerable amount of time.

Quick Reply: Finally.... DeMuro Discusses The LS