GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Interior room

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-12, 10:16 AM
idmd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior room

In the past few years between my wife and myself I've driven a 2010 Subaru Legacy 3.6R, 2010 Acura TL SH-AWD, 2009 Honda Pilot, 2011 Acura MDX and I currently drive a 2011.5 Volvo XC60 RD. In addition I've spent significant amounts time in a 2010 BMW 5-series and an 2010 Audi Q5.

I'm super excited to see the direction Lexus is going in and I think all their new products look fantastic on the exterior and their interiors are gorgeous as well. My father-in-law has the last generation GS350 which he loves but I wasn't a fan due to the soft-looking exterior and the relatively cramped interior. But the 2013 looks totally different and so I decided to stop by my local dealership and look at the new 2013 GS 350 AWD.

Immediately I have the same problem I had in my father-in-law's car.....no headroom. I put the seat all the way down, all the way back and had to recline the seat so I was looking out the back side window my head didn't sit up against the roof. I'm 6'5" and about 250 lbs and while certainly not a small man I'm not freakishly large either. Every car I mentioned in the beginning of this post I have absolutely NO problem fitting in and no problems with headroom. Just to see I sat in a 2012 RX350 and guess what.....same headroom problem.

Needless to say I was REALLY disappointed because I was ready to really pursue a new GS350. What gives with Lexus excluding tall people from their full-sized cars? I could understand if I was trying to fit into a Corolla but the GS and RX are not small cars. I thought surely if I fit in an Acura TL and Subaru Legacy then an GS would be no problem but I was REALLY shocked by the lack of headroom in the RX. Matter of fact the only Lexus I fit comfortably in is the LS and I'm 33 years old and that's a grandpa car.

Any other tall people out there have this issue? I haven't written Lexus off just yet but the GS is at least 1.5" too short on headroom to make it livable for me. How do car companies figure out their interior dimensions? Doesn't Lexus know tall people on average make more $ than short people? (That's a joke) Seriously though what a stupid place to lose sales when every other manufacture seems to realize 6'5" is not a too uncommon height anymore. It's not like I'm 7'2".

Last edited by idmd; 04-12-12 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-12-12, 10:56 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would highly recommend you to wait few months for the ES as it will be with larger interior volume than the GS.
Old 04-12-12, 11:12 AM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMHO I think the dimensions describing the interior room of the 4G is exaggerated a bit.

OR

Like a house it depends on how the space is carved up. For instance, BMW 535 and Mercedes E Class both have a flat dash console which contributes to the perception of more space. The 4G has a cocoon type dash console that not only wrap around you but flows between the driver and passenger seat giving the "perception" of less space.

Last edited by GX4704ME; 04-12-12 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-12-12, 11:14 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

While I'm only 6', I drive with the seat very erect and find the GS headroom to be marginal - probably because of the required sunroof.
Old 04-12-12, 11:23 AM
Jim1755
Driver School Candidate

Yep. Although I am only 6'1" tall I have been blessed with short legs and a long torso. All of the Toyota and Lexus vehicles I have looked at in the past have been very tight on headroom. It is just the design philosophy Toyota has. The new GS is better than most I have looked at in the past but still tight. I can fit in without hitting the headliner but with less than a inch clearance. There is no way I could wear any kind of hat. When shopping for a new vehicle the first spec. I tend to look at is headroom because if there isn't enough it is a deal killer no matter how much I love the rest of the car. The new GS is right on that line for me.
Old 04-12-12, 11:37 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,642 Posts

yep, wish u could get gs without sunroof. i hate sunroofs!
Old 04-12-12, 11:38 AM
idmd
Driver School Candidate

Just seems like a silly place to lose potential buyers. If people are struggling with headroom at 6'1"? Well lets just say there are a lot more people 6'2" and over in the world than ever before and to exclude this group seems like a major oversight.

What surprises me is the GS is a relatively big car. At least as big as the TL (it looks bigger anyway) and it has significantly less room. Maybe I'll just have to hold and see what the RLX has for interior room. I read Acura's whole design philosophy with the new car was to maximize interior volume while maintaining sporty exterior dimensions. My guess is if I fit well in the TL I can't imagine I won't in the RLX.
Old 04-12-12, 11:47 AM
idmd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yep, wish u could get gs without sunroof. i hate sunroofs!
Yeah but every single other car I mentioned had a moonroof too. I think 10-15 years ago when cars where designed without a moonroof standard and it was really a low volume option (and after thought) I can understand it having a substantial impact on headroom but now they're standard on every decent model. I think all cars with this standard should be designed with headroom in mind and it should not have an impact on headroom like it does in the GS. Headroom was the worst but even the width of the drivers seat was snug....must be that 2 foot wide center console. That's not a deal breaker but the lack of headroom would have me in traction after a week.

Just disappointed because it is a very nice car.
Old 04-12-12, 11:55 AM
idmd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rexus300
I would highly recommend you to wait few months for the ES as it will be with larger interior volume than the GS.
I like the ES's new looks very much but I need at least 300 hp and AWD....two things the ES can't give me.
Old 04-12-12, 12:41 PM
patricksr5
Pole Position

I am 6'2" and had no problem fitting in GS when I took a demo drive. I have a 2008 GS and it is a little tight...guess I have long legs and a short torso. I found the 4GS to have more headroom than my 3GS.
Old 04-12-12, 08:27 PM
S420merc
Driver School Candidate

I am 6'2 and a big guy and have no issues with the GSF 350 i fit
Just fine my head does not hit the headliner i have plenty
Of room . The main reason i am buying the GS350 is
The interior it has the most comfortable interior hands
Down and i own a Mercedes now cant wait till my lease is up.
Old 04-12-12, 08:33 PM
idmd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by S420merc
I guess my 3" makes all the difference then. I will agree it has a super sweet interior!
Old 04-12-12, 08:55 PM
lexesty72
Driver

I am 6'3" without any problem fitting in the front or rear. I couldn't fit into the 3GS in the rear without sitting side ways.
Old 04-12-12, 11:21 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys come on, Lexus is a japanesse car, jappanesee people are about 5'6 .
Old 04-13-12, 07:37 AM
SpEe1113
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by S420merc
I agree, I'm 6' 1" and have no complaints about the interior space. Also, with the luxury package you get 18-way power front seats that give you the flexibility to really create a comfortable ride for the driver and passenger.

Quick Reply: Interior room