GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Cold area package/winter heater how exactly work?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-22, 03:38 AM
bladest
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Cold area package/winter heater how exactly work?

Hello, my car have all the extras , including Cold area package/ winter heater , i am not sure how this thing exactly works?

i know some mercedess models have Heater which uses petrol or diesel you can pre set time and time and when you enter car its always warm in the winter?

I dont see only factory buttons, can someone tell me how i can make my car always warm and use this cold are package/ winter heater?
Also what this cold area package exactly includes if it includes heater how can be used or it doesnt include heater, it will be bad not to include heater..

High-intensity interior heater - thats the thing which i want to know how exactly operates can it be programmed if not can i make my car always warm when i start it , to receive hot air or its not possible i have no idea how this thing works.

Old 11-09-22, 04:34 AM
Mangsailor
Intermediate

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

The high intensity heater, per the manual, only works when the outside temp and engine coolant temp is less than a certain amount AND the heater temperature is set to HI.

I'm not sure it does much, because I attempted to use mine this morning but the vents still blew cold. Maybe a fuse has blown but I haven't checked.
Old 11-09-22, 04:39 AM
bladest
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mangsailor
The high intensity heater, per the manual, only works when the outside temp and engine coolant temp is less than a certain amount AND the heater temperature is set to HI.

I'm not sure it does much, because I attempted to use mine this morning but the vents still blew cold. Maybe a fuse has blown but I haven't checked.
Hello in the winter i always set my temperatura to maximum high , but how much temperature should be outside , 10 degrees, 0 degrees or less?
How much time it needs to heat you up?
Old 11-09-22, 06:30 AM
aachowhan
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

My car has this, it kinda works but it's not that strong. If you hold you hand over the vents the air comes out almost room temp rather then warm. It's really not much, but I guess it's something.

I think the temperature needs to be below 50 F before it starts working.
Old 11-09-22, 06:48 AM
Elofeye
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The helpful information starts on post 11

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...r-package.html
Old 11-09-22, 11:54 AM
ViperTim
Pit Crew

Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Mangsailor

It does basically nothing on mine. Maybe a smidge if less-than-freezing temperature on the air it’s blowing and that’s it. At best.
Useless is a good word for it.
Old 11-09-22, 12:02 PM
bladest
Instructor

Originally Posted by ViperTim
It does basically nothing on mine. Maybe a smidge if less-than-freezing temperature on the air it’s blowing and that’s it. At best.
Useless is a good word for it.
Why it has been designed or installed that way other brands heaters are exellent?
Old 11-10-22, 04:39 AM
Mangsailor
Intermediate

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

The heaters are called "PTC" heaters in the manual and under the hood (fuses and etc). there are two relays that power two separate heater banks. The manual states the banks can either both be on or only 1, depending on how cold it is outside. The realys are controlled via a switched ground in the HVAC controller. The PTC heater is the "Heavy duty heater" part of the cold weather package and the hybrid models. You can verify this via the spare parts catalogues or in the repair manual for your specific car.

From the manual:

Blower switch: LO
Temperature set to HI
ECO drive mode off
Engine coolant temperature 64°C (147.2°F) or lower
Ambient temperature 10°C 50.0°F) or lower
Engine running

Also in the manual:
HINT:
• When all operation conditions are met, 2 quick heater assemblies are operated.
• The number of quick heater assemblies operated changes according to the engine coolant temperature.

If the resistance scaling is known for the ambient air temp, a bypass could be wired to trick the ECU and force the heaters to turn on. This would be great for defogging in the spring or late-summer/early-fall due to the dew and likelihood of fogged up windows.

Last edited by Mangsailor; 11-10-22 at 07:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
bloodbean (11-11-22)