GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Bmw > lexus gs {help}

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-21, 11:54 AM
KeemoSaBe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bmw > lexus gs {help}

Hi 👋 guys, I’m new here. I need your help…
First of all I’m a Beemer and Mercedes guy. Owned E46 M3 & E90 335i MSport. Both are modded moderately. I owned and drove german ponies pretty much all of my life. Once my girl actually had a 2000 land cruiser. That thing was undestructible and bulletproof. We drove that beast for long trips and not once failed us. I loved that suv ! Now I can’t find them in decent condition. Lol. Anyhow so I’m looking to get a GS350 FSport. I need some advice. I’ve searched online and Google said that the best years for the GS350 F are 2016-2018 ? Pls fill me in on what I should look for and I’m not saying I want to modded it to extreme but just occasional upgraded CAI or suspension. Does the F suspensions different from the base models ? I know Lexus make reliable cars matter of fact I can almost sure it’s more reliable than any of my beemers. Idk about being faster tho…😂
I always love Lexus in the past even the LS models. Even the older years ones. I love those tanks.
All joke aside, pls fill me in on few things and what I should be looking for as far as which years GS350 F and what kind of moderate mods I’m able to do with it and which parts that usually fail in time. I’m looking to add coil overs and new shoes on it just for starters. I appreciate it guys. 👍
Old 10-30-21, 04:25 PM
WaterFish
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Complete different cars.

3x body rigidness. V8. Variable suspensions. Brembo brakes. Real Vents. RWD. TVD.

If you drive your car hard, then it is no brainer.
Old 10-30-21, 06:24 PM
OrionHunt
Rookie

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I think he is asking about a GS 350 F-Sport……which is different than a GS F. That being said, this needs to be moved to the non F tread
The following users liked this post:
WaterFish (10-30-21)
Old 10-31-21, 06:12 PM
rexio83
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Had a e39 540i , great car to drive but not to own.
Switched to the ISF, then RCF, now GSF, all great cars to own. That's what I heard once and it struck a cord, there are great cars to drive or great cars to own, the GSF is both. From your previous rides I suggest go with gsf over f sport, you won't feel the need to upgrade any time soon. There are faster cars out there, but reliability, sound, v8, make it a keeper.
1wacko (10-31-21)
Old 11-01-21, 11:27 AM
OriginalGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

This is the GSF section. I think your question should be directed at the GS350 section.
Old 11-01-21, 12:59 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,138 Likes on 843 Posts

Originally Posted by KeemoSaBe
First of all I’m a Beemer and Mercedes guy. Owned E46 M3 & E90 335i MSport. Both are modded moderately. I owned and drove german ponies pretty much all of my life. Once my girl actually had a 2000 land cruiser. That thing was undestructible and bulletproof. We drove that beast for long trips and not once failed us. I loved that suv ! Now I can’t find them in decent condition. Lol. Anyhow so I’m looking to get a GS350 FSport. I need some advice. I’ve searched online and Google said that the best years for the GS350 F are 2016-2018 ? Pls fill me in on what I should look for and I’m not saying I want to modded it to extreme but just occasional upgraded CAI or suspension. Does the F suspensions different from the base models ? I know Lexus make reliable cars matter of fact I can almost sure it’s more reliable than any of my beemers. Idk about being faster tho…😂
I always love Lexus in the past even the LS models. Even the older years ones. I love those tanks.
All joke aside, pls fill me in on few things and what I should be looking for as far as which years GS350 F and what kind of moderate mods I’m able to do with it and which parts that usually fail in time. I’m looking to add coil overs and new shoes on it just for starters. I appreciate it guys. 👍
I think this is a great thread to begin your research: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...6-2020-gs.html

You'll find more inventory of 2013-2015 models than 2016+ as Lexus sold more in the earlier years. All F-Sports do have a different suspension setup from base models and tend to have more suspension related needs due to their Adaptive suspension (AVS) which is constantly adjusting based on the feedback its receiving on-road. RWD F-Sports tend to have higher brake/rotor/tire costs due to their stock setup of staggered tires/wheels and bigger brake components.

The 2013-2015 will have the best handling prowess. The 2016+ will have upgraded tech (full screen nav, infotainment upgrades) and a more refined, compliant engine/ride but not the same handling/feel as the 2013-2015. Not many excessive failures on the 4GS that are even worth mentioning.

Pretty much the same aftermarket options are available for any 4GS (intake, exhaust, RR racing makes a supercharger, accessories, body kits, etc.). Others will chime in with additional points i'm sure - but you can't go wrong with any 4GS.
Old 11-01-21, 01:36 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 537 Likes on 390 Posts

Don't believe Google on 16-18's being best, Any 2013-20 car will be just fine. Nothing really changed on the 19's & 20's and for who ever stated that is wrong.
Old 01-12-22, 10:17 PM
kietlander
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

To be completely honest it's not the best looking, fastest, best mpg, or have the best interior, but it does all those things very well including reliability. Its a V6 toyota engine that has been in almost everything a lotus. I am a BMW guy (E60 M5, E34 Touring, E39 528i, Z3 coupe, i3), but my '15 GS350 Fsport just works. It's a jack of all, and I'm sure it wasn't developed to be master of any, and the only way I would sell it would be to get a newer GX.
Old 01-13-22, 08:38 PM
zheka130
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by kietlander
To be completely honest it's not the best looking, fastest, best mpg, or have the best interior, but it does all those things very well including reliability. Its a V6 toyota engine that has been in almost everything a lotus. I am a BMW guy (E60 M5, E34 Touring, E39 528i, Z3 coupe, i3), but my '15 GS350 Fsport just works. It's a jack of all, and I'm sure it wasn't developed to be master of any, and the only way I would sell it would be to get a newer GX.
The E60 M5, rarely with a manual gearbox. What a beast. Must be an awesome car to drive, but not to own 😁
Old 01-13-22, 09:02 PM
kietlander
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by zheka130
The E60 M5, rarely with a manual gearbox. What a beast. Must be an awesome car to drive, but not to own 😁
this was before I heard of FCPeuro and their lifetime warranty on parts. I was up for my first brake and clutch job, after finding out what parts cost alone, I sold it. It’s was an insane car, the engine sound was unreal during that time.

to OP: if you’re looking for a GS get the newest with options/color you want. You need to love the car for what it is, not what you can make it. Engine mods are a waste, where little gains can be had. You are left with aesthetic mods, wheels, suspension, aero, and hope you enjoy.

Last edited by kietlander; 01-13-22 at 09:06 PM.
Neil64 (01-17-22)
Old 01-14-22, 09:48 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,277 Likes on 1,014 Posts

Originally Posted by kietlander
to OP: if you’re looking for a GS get the newest with options/color you want. You need to love the car for what it is, not what you can make it. Engine mods are a waste, where little gains can be had. You are left with aesthetic mods, wheels, suspension, aero, and hope you enjoy.
Where do some of you get this info from about engine mods? You guys should take a look at some of the IS Forum guys who do mods. There are IS same 3.5 Lexus engine cars with intake/exhaust/Tune mods that are doing 0-60 in 4.6 seconds, and Dynoing at 325hp plus. Let alone F/I 3.5's with S/C, and NO2. I have had more that a few BMW and MB. Doing performance mods on them is very $$$$$. Yes they are more performance minded to start but.........

Someone just posted the original 2013 Lexus GS350 comparison from M/T or Car and Driver in 2013, where the GS350 Beat the BMW 5 series and MB E Class on the Track, and all around they Placed the GS350 as # 1 after all the different testing. Now if you go to comparing $75K plus BMW' and MB's. cars move to the Lexus F's like the GS F. Modded......... RR Racing did a S/C GS F that makes over 800hp giving Hell Cats Fits on the track.
Old 01-14-22, 01:47 PM
firelikeiy
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
Where do some of you get this info from about engine mods? You guys should take a look at some of the IS Forum guys who do mods. There are IS same 3.5 Lexus engine cars with intake/exhaust/Tune mods that are doing 0-60 in 4.6 seconds, and Dynoing at 325hp plus. Let alone F/I 3.5's with S/C, and NO2. I have had more that a few BMW and MB. Doing performance mods on them is very $$$$$. Yes they are more performance minded to start but.........

Someone just posted the original 2013 Lexus GS350 comparison from M/T or Car and Driver in 2013, where the GS350 Beat the BMW 5 series and MB E Class on the Track, and all around they Placed the GS350 as # 1 after all the different testing. Now if you go to comparing $75K plus BMW' and MB's. cars move to the Lexus F's like the GS F. Modded......... RR Racing did a S/C GS F that makes over 800hp giving Hell Cats Fits on the track.
Do you have a link? A quick search didn't pull up anything. I too thought there wasn't much that could be done with the GS350 other than a supercharger. It would be great to see.
Old 01-14-22, 03:47 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,277 Likes on 1,014 Posts

Originally Posted by firelikeiy
Do you have a link? A quick search didn't pull up anything. I too thought there wasn't much that could be done with the GS350 other than a supercharger. It would be great to see.
I often see this advice about the GS350 2GR and just wonder the source that shows that it' a waste, and little gain? If one is not interested in doing the mods then agree, its a waste.... of nothing done. lol! A 331hp increase is 62hp more. There are many 2GR-FSE with bolt ons out there making very good gains with them.

The average stock Dyno on the GS350 and IS350 is about 268ish hp.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...installed.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ne-result.html

I350 guy's like to share research, test, and plan.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...w-heights.html

At the bottom of the page is just the extreme potential of the 2GR-FSE built. The BMW M motor are basically hand built race motors by BMW that gets that M series a $30k plus higher msrp. This 2GR-FSE motor falls far short of $15k to build. Again just the potential of the little 3.5 GS350 motor.
http://www.lynxae.co.uk/ForSale-1.htm

The Lotus Evora uses the exact Toytota 2GR motor S/C'd.
https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...t-test-review/

Old 01-14-22, 07:59 PM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

Received 497 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by KeemoSaBe

Hi @KeemoSaBe Welcome to the group!

As you probably saw - the names can be a bit confusing. GS 350 F Sport and the GS F are quite different. GS350 F Sport has a V6 w 311hp, The GS F has a V8 with 467hp. The GS F is similar in design with some exterior differences like the front fenders, the front bumper, and I believe different tail lights to name a few. (don't quote me on the tail lights). The interior has some differences as well - different seats, different dash are a couple examples. There are other mechanical differences such as brakes and suspension. I had the opportunity to test drive one and it is an incredible machine. Would I trade my F Sport for it? Probably not but maybe if I found the perfect one.

On to your main question....

Personally yes - I would do and F Sport or a Lux (pretty rare) over a standard GS. In terms of model years a lot will come down to personal choice. 13-15 have the original body style which was a little more subdued in its design. 2016 was a major body style refresh with the most significant thing being the front end. Some folks like it, some folks don't. Initially I was looking for a 13-15 because I liked how that front end looked a but seeing the 16+ in person made me more open to either. At this point I'm glad I did the 16+ but I do still think the older front end has some lines that are a bit better. The 16+ front does not photograph well from some angles IMO.

2017 was the last year of the Lux - different wheels, different front seats, different interior trim, options for heated rear seats, a third zone in the back for the AC/heater. The Lux maintains the slatted grille instead of the mesh grille of the F Sport
2017 was also a year many things become standard - like the Lexus Safety System which included the dynamic radar cruise, pre-collision, and Lane Keep Assist

There aren't a ton of options. For the 2016MY for instance there was:
* Cold Weather Package - only on the AWD - headlamp washers, windshield wiper deicer, water repellent front door glass
* Navigation Package ( I never saw a GS that didn't have this but I'm guessing that's because I was looking at F Sports and Lux)
* Intuitive Park Assist
* Power open/close trunk (I don't think I could live without this now)
* Heated steering wheel
* Mark Levinson Premium Sound (I think it sounds great - others seem to not be impressed - this will probably come down to your ear)
* Color Heads Up Display (can be harder to find)
* Dynamic Handling with Dynamic Rear Steering - (only RWD). Folks who have driven one of these seem to love it.
* Triple Beam Headlights (these weren't officially in the brochure in 2016, they became "official" in 2017 but examples of 2016s with factory triples have been sited. Again, many folks love these. I go back and forth personally - they do look pretty cool but can also be a bit tricky to find sometimes.

Here are links to a couple of the brochures at Lexus - they seem to be removing them from the site, I can't find them as easily as I used to and some links seem broken. If you really want a specific MY let me know - I should have them all downloaded I think. I'm throwing a GS F in too so you can look.

2016 Lexus GS and GS Hybrid
2019 Lexus GS
2019 Lexus GS F

As @AJLex19 mentioned - 13-15 are more plentiful - For US sales numbers, those sold roughly 20,000 units a year starting in 2012. 2016 wasn't bad at almost 15,000 units. 2017 and 2018 it was roughly 7000 units, 2019 was only 3300 units, and 2020 was only 2500. Those are sales figures, not production figures but they'll give you decent idea. For comparison sake, something like the ES will sell 6000 units in July alone. In 2013 the ES sold over 72,000 units.

I would definitely look at the link @AJLex19 posted.

I also highly suggest the How to identify 4GS options, with pictures sticky at the top of this forum. When you're looking you'll have to be a bit of a detective because most of the time folks never get their adds correct. I saw even Lexus dealers post cars with the wrong color (Liquid Platinum vs Atomic Silver or Caviar vs Obsidian or Eminent White Pearl vs Ultra White). Lux models almost never get posted correctly - which can be good and bad - it makes them hard to search for but it means not everyone can find them . I saw F Sports not listed as F Sports and non-F Sports listed as F Sports. Wheels are usually the first/easiest clue but of course can get switched out pretty easily.

Your best friend will be the Lexus VIN Lookup if you want to verify something. We actually found a GS that was sold as a LUX that was really just a 350 that had had the entire interior swapped out. The tip-off here was that it only had Sport, not Sport and Sport+ that the Lux and F Sport models have.

Hopefully that gives you a bit of good start - if you have more questions ask away. Folks in this forum are amazing in terms of things they know.

Last edited by LexusGSboy; 01-14-22 at 08:00 PM. Reason: grammer correction
The following 3 users liked this post by LexusGSboy:
EvilHardee (01-16-22), Im2bz2p345 (01-14-22), jgscott (01-14-22)
Old 01-14-22, 08:06 PM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

Received 497 Likes on 267 Posts

PS - Don't always assume an option is there just because so many other things seem to be there. There can be some weird examples It would seem that any car with the cold weather package would have a heated steering wheel. Every one I test drove did - even the couple without the cold weather package had it but then there will be one that doesn't. Recently there was an example of a car that was oddly missing the Intuitive Park Assist which always seems to be there too.
The following 2 users liked this post by LexusGSboy:
greys0uled (01-20-22), jgscott (01-14-22)

Quick Reply: Bmw > lexus gs {help}