GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Auto leveling head lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-21, 04:05 AM
Hues10
Advanced

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts

Ok, so reading this made me think this morning, so excuse me if this sounds “dumb”. What is the point of the auto leveling headlights. Not AFS, just the auto-leveling. Do they adjust to anything when you are driving? Like going up and down hilly terrain? Or are they just in a fixed point all the time like regular headlights? I mean, once regular headlights are set correct, they don’t move at all. It is not like we have gas adjustable height shocks and the headlights need to be adjusted for the ride height adjustments. Now mind you, I like seeing the blinking headlight thing on my garage door, just never thought about is this really doing anything. Thanks.
Old 06-10-21, 05:43 AM
Cobra611
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
It should stay at the new position.

I'm pretty sure the Auto-Leveling (up and down) is standard on all 2013-2020 GS and the Adaptive (left and right) could be an option on the Triple-Beam headlights.

Those with the triple beams, do ur headlights go left and right? My 21 ES with triple beams does.
If they do, I haven't seen that happen with my '18 F Sport w/Triple Beam Headlights.
Old 06-10-21, 07:25 AM
byungkuk
Intermediate

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Hues10
Ok, so reading this made me think this morning, so excuse me if this sounds “dumb”. What is the point of the auto leveling headlights. Not AFS, just the auto-leveling. Do they adjust to anything when you are driving? Like going up and down hilly terrain? Or are they just in a fixed point all the time like regular headlights? I mean, once regular headlights are set correct, they don’t move at all. It is not like we have gas adjustable height shocks and the headlights need to be adjusted for the ride height adjustments. Now mind you, I like seeing the blinking headlight thing on my garage door, just never thought about is this really doing anything. Thanks.
they move with the car - if i'm making a turn the lights will turn with the car almost pre-emptively sometimes lol
I never notice them moving up and down since i don't necessarily drive on hilly roads but I assume they would do that too since the light dance goes up and down (as well as side to side)
Old 06-10-21, 09:49 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

So only the Lux get the AFS then, not even the triple-beams have it. That's interesting!

When I found out that my ES has it is when I drove in the mountains in total darkness, I can see the light projection on the rocks moving left and right with my steering wheel, otherwise I wouldn't have known this car has it.

The up and down is very subtle and 99% of the time u can't see it when driving.

Last edited by ItzFilyO; 06-10-21 at 09:54 AM.
Old 06-10-21, 11:58 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,275 Likes on 1,012 Posts

So only the Lux get the AFS then, not even the triple-beams have it. That's interesting!

When I found out that my ES has it is when I drove in the mountains in total darkness, I can see the light projection on the rocks moving left and right with my steering wheel, otherwise I wouldn't have known this car has it.

The up and down is very subtle and 99% of the time u can't see it when driving.
My GS350 Original sticker shows it's in the $5,750 Luxury Package Option.
Old 06-10-21, 02:15 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by Hues10
Yeah, it's mostly for hilly terrain so u see the same distance as if ur driving on a flat terrain.

When ur going downhill, the light beam raises up so u can see further and when ur going uphill, it lowers a bit so u don't light up the sky and probably not to blind oncoming traffic also.

I found my GS headlights were aimed a bit too low and had to raise 3-4 full turns on the adjustment screws and now it feels more comfortable while still not blinding the cars in front of me. Same problem with my 2014 GS last time, the headlights were aimed too low from the factory.

Last edited by ItzFilyO; 06-10-21 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-20-21, 05:50 PM
bmwjavier
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, it's mostly for hilly terrain so u see the same distance as if ur driving on a flat terrain.

When ur going downhill, the light beam raises up so u can see further and when ur going uphill, it lowers a bit so u don't light up the sky and probably not to blind oncoming traffic also.

I found my GS headlights were aimed a bit too low and had to raise 3-4 full turns on the adjustment screws and now it feels more comfortable while still not blinding the cars in front of me. Same problem with my 2014 GS last time, the headlights were aimed too low from the factory.
Hi, I have a 2014 GS with Led and AFS. The headlights are aimed a bit too. Please, where the adjustment screws are located. Is there any photo or video to guide me please?
Thanks in advanced
Old 08-21-21, 12:13 AM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwjavier
Hi, I have a 2014 GS with Led and AFS. The headlights are aimed a bit too. Please, where the adjustment screws are located. Is there any photo or video to guide me please?
Thanks in advanced
Look on the headlight, there will be a place where a large philips driver will adjust it.
I feel like the Fsport sits higher at the back, where the level sensor is located. I think they didn't take this into account when setting the default level for the auto up down headlights. I moved mine up a bit.
Old 08-21-21, 12:43 AM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 212 Posts

Duplicate.

Last edited by Cwang; 08-21-21 at 12:52 AM.
Old 08-21-21, 05:55 AM
tomex77
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra611
If they do, I haven't seen that happen with my '18 F Sport w/Triple Beam Headlights.
They do auto level with my triple beam.. you probably haven't been paying attention. If you adjust the level of the headlights, they stay at that level after auto leveling.