GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

CPO brake question

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-20, 06:42 PM
Lumphrey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CPO brake question

Hi there. Question for the group. In February I bought a CPO GS350 AWD and today I brought it in for its first service. Was told rear rotors and pads needed replacement. I’ve driven it 3900 miles almost all on highway. Is this normal? I would have expected a CPO to have a little more life in the brakes than what I was told today. They said they were not an email and I could make it to my next service, but was wondering if this was typically happening to others? Thanks for any info.
Old 04-13-20, 07:02 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,998 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Originally Posted by Lumphrey
Hi there. Question for the group. In February I bought a CPO GS350 AWD and today I brought it in for its first service. Was told rear rotors and pads needed replacement. I’ve driven it 3900 miles almost all on highway. Is this normal? I would have expected a CPO to have a little more life in the brakes than what I was told today. They said they were not an email and I could make it to my next service, but was wondering if this was typically happening to others? Thanks for any info.
You should have been given an inspection sheet with brake pad thickness recorded when your car was CPO'd. I suspect the brakes were barely within the CPO brake pad thickness guidelines when the car was CPO'd. I think it is somewhat common for dealerships 'to start' recommending brake jobs to their customers when the pad thickness gets right around that minimum CPO allowed thickness, which usually means you have x thousand miles remaining before they 'really' need replacing. Once you understand the madness of it all, it usually starts making a little bit of sense.

You can probably go at least another 5k miles, and likely 10k miles or even more before you start hearing the metal squeal sensor contacting against the rotor.
Old 04-13-20, 07:32 PM
Lumphrey
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bclexus
You should have been given an inspection sheet with brake pad thickness recorded when your car was CPO'd. I suspect the brakes were barely within the CPO brake pad thickness guidelines when the car was CPO'd. I think it is somewhat common for dealerships 'to start' recommending brake jobs to their customers when the pad thickness gets right around that minimum CPO allowed thickness, which usually means you have x thousand miles remaining before they 'really' need replacing. Once you understand the madness of it all, it usually starts making a little bit of sense.

You can probably go at least another 5k miles, and likely 10k miles or even more before you start hearing the metal squeal sensor contacting against the rotor.
great, thanks for the info much appreciated!
Old 04-13-20, 07:36 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

I could be remembering this incorrectly, but I think the brakes need to have 1/2 of their original thickness for CPO. But you can’t (I suppose you could, but you shouldn’t) wear your brakes to 0%. So they’ll tell you they have “half left” or whatever when they CPO it, but it’s not actually half of the useful life. Hope that makes sense. That may have been what happened to you... when they CPOed the car the brakes were barely at 50%, but that does not equal 50% usable life.

In any case, I’d say it’s likely you could drive on them for a while still, they are just letting you know you’ll need the work “soon.” I’d ask for the measurements on what’s left and do some googling.
Old 04-13-20, 07:47 PM
Lumphrey
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CottageChz
I could be remembering this incorrectly, but I think the brakes need to have 1/2 of their original thickness for CPO. But you can’t (I suppose you could, but you shouldn’t) wear your brakes to 0%. So they’ll tell you they have “half left” or whatever when they CPO it, but it’s not actually half of the useful life. Hope that makes sense. That may have been what happened to you... when they CPOed the car the brakes were barely at 50%, but that does not equal 50% usable life.

In any case, I’d say it’s likely you could drive on them for a while still, they are just letting you know you’ll need the work “soon.” I’d ask for the measurements on what’s left and do some googling.
thanks. They must have replaced just the front pads as they were checked off at 9 on the inspection sheet I got back today.
Old 04-13-20, 07:57 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 939 Likes on 575 Posts

Give us a little more info... what year GS and how many total miles? Brakes are always a conversation topic on this car, but many members get pretty long life from their pads and rotors. Did the tech actually provide you with the actual measurements of the rotors and pads? They should be on the invoice.
Old 04-13-20, 10:21 PM
Lumphrey
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chinee
Give us a little more info... what year GS and how many total miles? Brakes are always a conversation topic on this car, but many members get pretty long life from their pads and rotors. Did the tech actually provide you with the actual measurements of the rotors and pads? They should be on the invoice.
2015 with 79000 miles. I’ll check the measurements tomorrow. Thanks for the info!
Old 04-14-20, 06:00 AM
Hues10
Advanced

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts

Are you sure this was a CPO car? I thought the Lexus CPO guidelines were cars under 60k miles and no accidents etc. Not really doubting you, but a CPO 79k car doesn't sound like Lexus.
Old 04-14-20, 07:38 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Lumphrey
2015 with 79000 miles. I’ll check the measurements tomorrow. Thanks for the info!
I bought my 2013 w 72k miles, and I have now replaced all four rotors.
I should have done it right away: rears were not in good shape thanks to four Minnesota winters.
Old 04-14-20, 07:38 AM
Lumphrey
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Hues10
Are you sure this was a CPO car? I thought the Lexus CPO guidelines were cars under 60k miles and no accidents etc. Not really doubting you, but a CPO 79k car doesn't sound like Lexus.
yes. I have all the paperwork and received all the corresponding info on it.
Old 04-14-20, 11:13 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,135 Likes on 841 Posts

Went through this myself...CPO brake pads and rotors should be about at 50% life or 5mm-6mm thick. Its likely that your car met the minimum CPO spec for pads and rotors just like mine did: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-4k-miles.html

At 79k miles, its not surprising that its time for the brake/rotor change. If you have the carfax, it should show when the last time brakes/rotors were done if it was completed by the dealership.
Old 04-14-20, 01:08 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,998 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Originally Posted by Hues10
It used to be a maximum of 6 years or 70,000 miles, but Lexus changed it to 6 years or 80,000 miles now.
Old 04-14-20, 02:46 PM
Lumphrey
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bclexus
It used to be a maximum of 6 years or 70,000 miles, but Lexus changed it to 6 years or 80,000 miles now.
Correct. When I initially looked at the one I bought I thought it had too many miles, but the dealer told me that 80K is the max now, not 70K...

Thought it was a pretty good deal anyway.
Old 04-17-20, 05:18 AM
MrJamison
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

CPO guidelines state that the brake pads must be at 6mm or thicker to pass and tires must be at 5/32nds or more to pass. Most dealerships will recommend replacement of pads at 3mm. If the rotors can't be resurfaced (pretty common) due to being resurfaced before or "lipped" on the edges, then "in theory" you can go further than 3mm considering you'll be replacing the rotors and pads at the same time. There was also a bulletin that came out Jan of this year referring some GS models to an updated updated shim kit that is suppose to reduce the squealing noise most of us deal with. The shim kit has some type of material on it rather than just a metal surface. I'll be trying that on my next round of brakes...