GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

I have an Obsession, how bad is Your Obsession?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-19, 02:41 PM
TheBaumer
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Old and retired with OCD

Funny tread, retired and sitting here reading this tread admiring my work sipping Patron Silver and a few beers .. Like others have mentioned,here in southern CA the yellow pollin is terrible. The rain and such runes my perfection & mental state for sure! I have the RCF and a GS 350 F Sport that stays in the garage until the weather is good.. I ask my Wife.., to please drive the 4 Runner limited... .. Well guys, that leaves me sipping Patron & beers after washing only ONE vehicle. Thank god!!! The motorcycle is a whole other subject for sure! ! It's Friday afternoon, cheers guys , Best Regards, Eldon
Old 03-22-19, 04:02 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

@TheBaumer Eldon, nice stable you got When I retire in 30 years I hope to have a M4 Coupe, LS Sedan and LX or GX SUV in my stable.
Old 03-22-19, 04:10 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,604 Likes on 1,022 Posts

My obsession is bad enough (good enough?) that I am sending my wife and kids to California for a few days over spring break so I can have a few "detail days" all to myself... Everybody wins!
Old 03-22-19, 04:36 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 938 Likes on 575 Posts

From a few weeks ago...
Old 03-22-19, 07:01 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 266 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by AJLex19
I feel like i'm the same way with any "material" thing or new toy in the toy box. When my Giant TCR Road Bike was new, I would clean the frame and wheels after my rides..after the first year, I stopped after a couple of nicks and scratches started to appear.

When my GS was newer, I tried to keep it excessively clean (car wash/hand washes), interior cleaning, wax, etc. I installed a bunch of add-on stuff myself. Eventually, I calmed down after a couple of years. Now I enjoy how reliable it is & how well it drives after owning for 4yrs now.

I still clean it but not as often. I live in a city where people sometimes don't respect your property and will bump the hell out of your car to get into/out of parking spaces, cyclists clip your side mirrors, teens throw footballs and kick soccer ***** that leave dents and dings, people swing open their doors and nick/dent your door.

One day I was sitting in my GS and this random guy opened my mirror the opposite way (bending it toward the front of the car) to check his teeth/gums (i don't have pwr mirrors). I held my horn down and he got startled and just casually walked away when I confronted him! I've come to realize that you can't have anything in near perfect condition in my neck of the woods...and trying to keep it that way will only infuriate you more the moment someone else disrespects your stuff.
What the... Where do you live? New York? Boy I would have caught a case of someone nonchalantly did that to my car, WHILE I'M IN IT.
Old 03-22-19, 08:03 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 938 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
My obsession is bad enough (good enough?) that I am sending my wife and kids to California for a few days over spring break so I can have a few "detail days" all to myself... Everybody wins!
LOL! I sometimes take a half day on Fridays so I can be home alone while detailing the car, so I feel you!
The following users liked this post:
JDR76 (03-23-19)
Old 03-22-19, 09:55 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,135 Likes on 841 Posts

Great shot - almost looks like Atomic Silver with the lighting

Originally Posted by chinee
From a few weeks ago...
Old 03-22-19, 10:10 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,135 Likes on 841 Posts

Originally Posted by bob256k
What the... Where do you live? New York? Boy I would have caught a case of someone nonchalantly did that to my car, WHILE I'M IN IT.
Yep NYC..its funny b/c i was in the car, parked on a corner and looking to my left. When I happened to look right, this dude had already acted like my side mirror was his own personal vanity mirror. For a split second I couldn't believe what I was seeing lol

My immediate reaction was to hold down my horn to let him know someone was in the car...As I got out, he started to back away and motioned as if to say "oh i didn't realize you were in the car"..but we all know he still would have done it regardless.

I've seen some crazy stuff when it comes to road rage and just angry, disturbed people...been cursed out by old ladies behind the wheel, seen a young guy get out of his car and proceed to repeatedly kick/dent the side panels and doors of an elderly man's Infiniti sedan b/c the elderly man bumped his Altima bumper, you know, just "everyday" kinda stuff

Its easy to get mad especially if you are keeping your car in immaculate condition, but its def smarter to stay calm and eventually learn to pick and choose your battles when it comes to this kinda stuff.
The following users liked this post:
jmelvin269 (06-04-19)
Old 03-23-19, 02:52 AM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 212 Posts

You're all making me feel really bad. Mine gets hit with the fire hose and maybe a bucket of soapy water when I'm working the odd weekend. A quick tyre shine spray makes it look $1 million dollars
Old 03-29-19, 06:50 PM
Coolchuck
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Cwang
You're all making me feel really bad. Mine gets hit with the fire hose and maybe a bucket of soapy water when I'm working the odd weekend. A quick tyre shine spray makes it look $1 million dollars
Funny you say that. There’s a lot of times I run short on time and don’t get to do a proper wash. I’ll wipe those wheels down and put some tire shine. Makes such a big difference.