GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Defective Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-12, 05:44 PM
li33gwm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Defective Windshield

As I posted earlier today, I picked up my new GS 350 AWD today. Thoroughly enjoying it, however this afternoon the windshield started to crack - a straight line from the passenger side and then graph like (up a little) to where the 2nd half of the split screen starts. Nothing hit the windshield - no starlike dent like would happen when a rock or something else would hit the windshield.

Brought it in tonight and the general mgr of the dealership said he's never seen anything like this before. Took down my info and said he would call tomorrow after speaking with service mgr and assured me it would be rectified. A bit upset since the car is not even 12 hours old, but wanted to see if anyone else had this problem, and what would others suggest to do? Guess I wouldn't know the difference if it was replaced before I picked up the car, but its only the first day! Thanks -
Old 12-11-12, 07:41 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by li33gwm
As I posted earlier today, I picked up my new GS 350 AWD today. Thoroughly enjoying it, however this afternoon the windshield started to crack - a straight line from the passenger side and then graph like (up a little) to where the 2nd half of the split screen starts. Nothing hit the windshield - no starlike dent like would happen when a rock or something else would hit the windshield.

Brought it in tonight and the general mgr of the dealership said he's never seen anything like this before. Took down my info and said he would call tomorrow after speaking with service mgr and assured me it would be rectified. A bit upset since the car is not even 12 hours old, but wanted to see if anyone else had this problem, and what would others suggest to do? Guess I wouldn't know the difference if it was replaced before I picked up the car, but its only the first day! Thanks -
I've never heard of this happening. It's probably an anomaly and not something you'll have to worry about in the future.
Old 12-11-12, 08:51 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

it will be replaced under warranty. you'll be fine. "damn, 12hrs. old" ?
Old 12-11-12, 10:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

happened to our sc430 and i have read a few cases on other lexus too. don't worry, it will be covered and it's not common
Old 12-12-12, 05:40 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the same thing happen to a brand new Lexus LS430 in 2005. The window cracked from the top to the bottom for no reason. The Sales Manager at Sewell Lexus of Fort Worth refused to replace the glass and wanted to charge me $1500 for a new windshield. I had 2 experts who examined the windshield testify that the crack was due to improper installation that caused the windshield to bind in the frame. After going to mediation, the owner of the dealership finally agreed to replace the windshield at no cost to me. Mr. Sewell was a standup guy and now I buy all my cars at Sewell Lexus of Dallas. I have never been back to Sewell Lexus of Fort Worth because the same sales manager is still there and I choose to not give him my business.
Old 12-12-12, 05:41 AM
MichaelPea
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My '08 GS had a similar problem but it wasn't quite as quick as yours. It happened within the first 200 miles and cracked across the bottom corner on the drivers side. Service manager said "i think" I see a pit where a stone hit the windshield. He used his excuse to try to install an aftermarket windshield. There was no stone strike that anybody else could see and I doubt very much that one existed as I was in the middle of nowhere with nobody around the car for a mile when it happened. I wouldn't stand for an aftermarket windshield in a brand new Lexus and had to go over his head to the GM. He lost......
Old 12-12-12, 09:37 AM
li33gwm
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the feedback. Am more than upset that on the first day of getting the car there was a defect. Had been with both Infiniti and BMW over the past 15 years and never had a problem. Wondering if this is the first of other "defects" I may find. While I would like to just get a new one, I know I'm probably in no position for that to happen.

So, dow do I assure that an after-market is not installed? Thanks.
Old 12-12-12, 09:46 AM
dengman
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback. Am more than upset that on the first day of getting the car there was a defect. Had been with both Infiniti and BMW over the past 15 years and never had a problem. Wondering if this is the first of other "defects" I may find. While I would like to just get a new one, I know I'm probably in no position for that to happen.

The maker of the windshield is usually etched/painted into the glass.

Sounds like the windshield was installed improperly from the factory. If it was a rock there would be evidence at the starting point.
Old 12-12-12, 10:15 AM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Sorry to hear this. You probably won't notice any difference after it's replaced but the feeling is always there. My problem is not as big but it bugs me every time I think about it. They installed tints with bubbles. After they "fixed" them, the bubbles are still there. On the bright side, you found this early instead of the whole thing cracked months later and they would try to blame on us.
I don't know how the windshield was made, but from what I learned in my field, when temperature is not set right or the environment is contaminated, products that have glass components will crack at some point when the right pressure is applied on. My guess is something like this might have happened during the manufacturing process. Good luck with the fix. Hope it won't bug you much so you can enjoy the car. Ask the GM to see if they can throw in some free stuff for you. They might.
Old 12-12-12, 10:20 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

if lexus replaces it under warranty (which should be the case), they will only use factory OEM parts

first make sure with them that you take nothing else except oem. and after it's done, look at the driver corner (where the VIN is), and you should see the lexus logo etched. that means oem
Old 12-12-12, 03:32 PM
li33gwm
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bnlexus
Sorry to hear this. You probably won't notice any difference after it's replaced but the feeling is always there. My problem is not as big but it bugs me every time I think about it. They installed tints with bubbles. After they "fixed" them, the bubbles are still there. On the bright side, you found this early instead of the whole thing cracked months later and they would try to blame on us.
I don't know how the windshield was made, but from what I learned in my field, when temperature is not set right or the environment is contaminated, products that have glass components will crack at some point when the right pressure is applied on. My guess is something like this might have happened during the manufacturing process. Good luck with the fix. Hope it won't bug you much so you can enjoy the car. Ask the GM to see if they can throw in some free stuff for you. They might.
Thanks for the feedback. Finally got a call back from the dealership and going in tomorrow morning to have the service manager look at it. He said he has to inspect it with some sort of tool that will tell them how this happened. He said they need to know what to tell Lexus.

All I know is that they better not blame it on me - nothing hit the car at all and as the gen. mgr said he's never seen anything like this before as the windshield has a sharp line that starts from the passenger side and moves up for about a third of the windshield. Filed something with the Corporate office as I want to cover all bases and someone is supposed to be getting back to me within a day. Will take a picture in the daylight (and post it here). I'd feel a lot more comfortable getting a replacement vehicle as I wonder what else wasn't manufactured right on this car, but not sure what rights we have as consumers when it comes to manufacturer defects like this one. Any advice would be helpful.
Old 12-12-12, 04:01 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. Finally got a call back from the dealership and going in tomorrow morning to have the service manager look at it. He said he has to inspect it with some sort of tool that will tell them how this happened. He said they need to know what to tell Lexus.

All I know is that they better not blame it on me - nothing hit the car at all and as the gen. mgr said he's never seen anything like this before as the windshield has a sharp line that starts from the passenger side and moves up for about a third of the windshield. Filed something with the Corporate office as I want to cover all bases and someone is supposed to be getting back to me within a day. Will take a picture in the daylight (and post it here). I'd feel a lot more comfortable getting a replacement vehicle as I wonder what else wasn't manufactured right on this car, but not sure what rights we have as consumers when it comes to manufacturer defects like this one. Any advice would be helpful.
Aggravating yes but just a freaky thing that happens once in awhile.
Forget about getting a replacement vehicle.
Old 12-12-12, 10:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

it's a dream if you think you will get a replacement vehicle because of this. just not going to happen. it's just defective and warranty work. that's what warranty is about

when we brought out sc430 in, all service manger did was to run his pen across the crack. didn't "click" or "stop" once from rock chip, etc... and that's the conclusion it's a stress crack. proceeded to write up for replacement
Old 12-13-12, 09:57 PM
wla1mjd
Driver School Candidate

That stinks... Lexus should take care of that.

Don't worry about a replacement though. Yesterday morning a rock did my windshield in also. It took a serious hit, but the windshield was toast. Great news was that since the car is so new, there are no generic replacements yet. Insurance had no choice but to go OEM. Went to my local dealer and they had a new windshield installed the next day. Looks perfect, no hint that it was ever replaced. Even has all the Lexus etching.

For reference though... that windshield is worth $1,800!!!
Old 12-15-12, 12:06 PM
li33gwm
Driver School Candidate

Final verdict: they think that a tiny crack in the very corner where the passenger side front windshield starts is what caused what really looks like a stress fracture across the windshield. The dealership went to bat for me with Lexus Corporate but supposedly they weren't going to do anything about it. Since I do have full windshield coverage, they suggested I use my insurance (which costs me nothing) and they would take care of service for the life of the vehicle.

Thought it was fair enough and didn't want to get aggravated over this and want to just enjoy the car. OEM glass was used yesterday and the car is in a 2 day recovery, will be detailed again and delivered to me like a new car again on Monday. Will finally be able to post pics next week!

Quick Reply: Defective Windshield