GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Any AWD GS Owners using Lowering Springs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-24, 01:25 PM
Asav
Pit Crew

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
Can you post some pics?
my bad. I missed this somehow

see no rake and that driveway is even on a slight incline grade

The following 2 users liked this post by Asav:
gripau1 (05-06-24), JahJah (05-10-24)
Old 05-05-24, 05:49 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 194 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Asav
my bad. I missed this somehow

see no rake and that driveway is even on a slight incline grade

What big brake kit are you running?
The following 2 users liked this post by GrandSedanFan:
gripau1 (05-06-24), JahJah (05-10-24)
Old 05-05-24, 06:51 PM
Asav
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by GrandSedanFan
What big brake kit are you running?
ISF calipers front and rears with the 350phi bracket on the rears.
Rotors are Fsport fronts and ISF rears
The following users liked this post:
GrandSedanFan (05-06-24)
Old 05-05-24, 08:07 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

ISF calipers front and rears with the 350phi bracket on the rears.
Rotors are Fsport fronts and ISF rears
That's very exciting.

1. No adapter/modification required for the front? I thought no big brakes would bolt up to the AWD front knuckle - GS-F and GS350 RWD F-Sport have the same mounting ears, which don't work for AWD.
2. Do you lose the electronic parking brake with IS-F rear calipers?
3. Do OEM F-Sport 19s fit over them?

If this is doable without major modification, I'm going to be rethinking my brake setup.

Last edited by GrandSedanFan; 05-06-24 at 06:53 AM.
Old 05-06-24, 09:45 AM
Asav
Pit Crew

That's very exciting.

1. No adapter/modification required for the front? I thought no big brakes would bolt up to the AWD front knuckle - GS-F and GS350 RWD F-Sport have the same mounting ears, which don't work for AWD.
2. Do you lose the electronic parking brake with IS-F rear calipers?
3. Do OEM F-Sport 19s fit over them?

If this is doable without major modification, I'm going to be rethinking my brake setup.
Front is straight bolt up. Rear requires the bracket. The electric e-brake works as expected.
I don't really know about the 19's because I have never run them post install. I am on 20s
GrandSedanFan (05-06-24)
Old 05-06-24, 10:33 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Front is straight bolt up. Rear requires the bracket. The electric e-brake works as expected.
I don't really know about the 19's because I have never run them post install. I am on 20s
That's fantastic news.

Did you have to clearance/shave the rear caliper? It looked like that was part of the instructions as I perused them.
Old 05-06-24, 12:11 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,276 Likes on 1,013 Posts

What Brand drilled Rotors are those? Stop Techs?

Also these ISF Front Calipers are a direct plug and play fit, with the GS350 F Sport Stock Rotors?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/335322014335

Last edited by jgscott; 05-06-24 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-07-24, 05:23 PM
Asav
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jgscott
What Brand drilled Rotors are those? Stop Techs?

Also these ISF Front Calipers are a direct plug and play fit, with the GS350 F Sport Stock Rotors?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/335322014335
Yeah those work with GS350 FSPORT fronts. Straight bolt up. Yes those fronts are stoptechs. 30k on them now and they are in great shape. NOTE: ISF fronts will not work on our application even though you would think if ISF front calipers bolt up it wouldn't be a problem. Do not buy those. You want our fsport fronts. Rears do require the ISF rear rotor and the bracket to complete the 4 corners.

Last edited by Asav; 05-07-24 at 05:28 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 05-07-24, 05:31 PM
Asav
Pit Crew

That's fantastic news.

Did you have to clearance/shave the rear caliper? It looked like that was part of the instructions as I perused them.

You do but it is nothing functional that gets removed. When you see the 350phi install guide it will make sense. There is a template to overlay and it takes 5 mins with a dremel. I put white out on the spot and went to work. You cannot mess it up. I dremmeled mine, then had them powdered so no corrosion issues.
GrandSedanFan (05-07-24)
Old 05-07-24, 06:00 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Yeah those work with GS350 FSPORT fronts. Straight bolt up. Yes those fronts are stoptechs. 30k on them now and they are in great shape. NOTE: ISF fronts will not work on our application even though you would think if ISF front calipers bolt up it wouldn't be a problem. Do not buy those. You want our fsport fronts. Rears do require the ISF rear rotor and the bracket to complete the 4 corners.
So the "budget" big brake kit for a GS AWD is IS-F Brembo 6 piston front and 2 piston rear calipers, GS 350 F-Sport RWD 14" front rotors, IS-F 13.6" rear rotors, and the 350phi adapter bracket.

I priced all of that out at one of the parts vendors, including OEM pads, OEM caliper pins, and OEM anti-squeal shims, and came out to around $3,700.00 using Dixcel High Carbon heat treated blank rotors. You can save a significant amount of money with Centric rotors, but I have seen serious QC concerns with their products, including selling 2 completely different castings under the same part number. I could not find IS-F rear rotors to go with Stoptech Fronts.

I don't believe this package will work for RWD. Based on knowledge gleaned from this forum, the mounting hole locations are different between AWD and RWD front knuckles. If IS-F front calipers bolt right up to the GS AWD front knuckle, I don't think they will work on a GS RWD front knuckle, seeing as I recall the reverse is not possible. Someone bought GS350 F-Sport RWD calipers and 14" rotors and calipers to install on their AWD and the calipers either could not be bolted on at all, or bolted on in a way that did not clear the rotor.

RWD owners can either go RWD F-Sport front only, add the IS-F rear rotor and caliper using the 350phi adapter bracket, or full GS-F Brembo brake conversion.

Last edited by GrandSedanFan; 05-07-24 at 06:09 PM.
Old 05-07-24, 07:47 PM
fourthmeal
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

It sounds like a solid upgrade for the AWD, but price is up there. Might be a good rebuild-from-cores option if you keep the parts aftermarket, would have to play around with the numbers and availability of things. Thanks for posting this. If the factory AWD are "100%", in terms of performance, where does this put this kit? I mean for daily drivers, not track days. 110%, 120, etc.
Old 05-08-24, 08:12 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Originally Posted by fourthmeal
It sounds like a solid upgrade for the AWD, but price is up there. Might be a good rebuild-from-cores option if you keep the parts aftermarket, would have to play around with the numbers and availability of things. Thanks for posting this. If the factory AWD are "100%", in terms of performance, where does this put this kit? I mean for daily drivers, not track days. 110%, 120, etc.
I don't find the factory AWD brakes to be 100%. I have to do some heavy braking for offramps, which overheats the factory pads, and, before long, I end up with brake judder. I am trying to resolve that now with high performance pads and fresh rotors, but if that doesn't work, I'm going to have to give this kit a serious look.
Old 05-08-24, 10:55 AM
goose300
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't find the factory AWD brakes to be 100%. I have to do some heavy braking for offramps, which overheats the factory pads, and, before long, I end up with brake judder. I am trying to resolve that now with high performance pads and fresh rotors, but if that doesn't work, I'm going to have to give this kit a serious look.
I've been dealing with this exact issue and feel the exact same way. Had OEM Rotors+Pads, brakes developed vibrations pretty quickly. Switched them out to Centric coated rotors + Akebono Pads (non-performance) and same thing happened. Getting pretty fed up. Trying out Advics rotors + Hawk HPS Street pads to see how that will do. I'm pretty sure any non-performance Ceramic pad just gets cooked onto the rotors after any amount of hard braking (like a simple brake on an off-ramp), that's just leaving a ton of brake deposits on the rotors. The other day I was braking from about 150km/h and the brake judder was actually crazy..

We'll see how the new rotors + semi-metallic pads do, if they're still junk then I'm going going to look into this IS-F front caliper + F-Sport Rotor upgrade
Old 05-08-24, 11:43 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Originally Posted by goose300
I've been dealing with this exact issue and feel the exact same way. Had OEM Rotors+Pads, brakes developed vibrations pretty quickly. Switched them out to Centric coated rotors + Akebono Pads (non-performance) and same thing happened. Getting pretty fed up. Trying out Advics rotors + Hawk HPS Street pads to see how that will do. I'm pretty sure any non-performance Ceramic pad just gets cooked onto the rotors after any amount of hard braking (like a simple brake on an off-ramp), that's just leaving a ton of brake deposits on the rotors. The other day I was braking from about 150km/h and the brake judder was actually crazy..

We'll see how the new rotors + semi-metallic pads do, if they're still junk then I'm going going to look into this IS-F front caliper + F-Sport Rotor upgrade
My rears usually go before my fronts, but the fronts still end up cooked within 9 months of install. Our rear rotors are fairly small at 12" and feature non-directional vanes. I was hoping to find a better rear rotor to pair with my Project Mu B-Specs, but had no luck.

My new pads and fresh OEM rotors are being installed as we speak. I'll report back once I've bedded them in and put some miles on them.
Old 05-08-24, 03:03 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,276 Likes on 1,013 Posts

These brakes suck compared to others like Greman and others matched cars. I have the same experience with the fronts, have used 3 diffrent Rotor/Pad coombo's and the front Rotors always prematurly Warp and get cooked. I have a new project that I have a set of Stop Tech drilled Rotors, with Akebons Perfromance pads. I took the new Rotors and had them Cyro Treated. Going to see what diffrence that makes, after I install them.

In the long run the better cost option would have been to just find the GS F set and spent the money on them instead. If the Cyro's are not much better I am headed the GS F set next. Should have just done that 2 brake sets ago. Actually would have been less money. lol!

Quick Reply: Any AWD GS Owners using Lowering Springs?