GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Any AWD GS Owners using Lowering Springs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-23, 12:26 PM
fourgs
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by jsbach1685
Thank you so much for all the info. I take it the OEM rates of 3.4 (front) and rear 6.2 (rear) are for the 2016-2020 model years? Do you know the rates for the 2013-2015’s?
I couldn’t find any official info for any oem springs, only thing I can see is tanabe shows their spring rates and it says that they are 5% stiffer than oem. The difference between years is not big , but it feels a bit sportier on previous years. And its just from my and others experience driving both.
all theese springs (tanabe , rsr, swift) were installed on awd by people in this forum , and they all work. Which one to choose idk.

Last edited by fourgs; 10-10-23 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-10-23, 12:28 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,285 Likes on 1,021 Posts

@peteharvey Do you know the answer to the Factory springs? I know we have talked and there were different rates per years. Pete is a GS Suspension Phd.
Old 10-11-23, 01:57 PM
jsbach1685
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
@peteharvey Do you know the answer to the Factory springs? I know we have talked and there were different rates per years. Pete is a GS Suspension Phd.
Now that I have an idea what the OEM springs rates would be (per what Tanabe is stating on their site regarding no more than 5% over OEM) It would seem the Tanabe springs would be the most conservative choice for lowering a vehicle to a proper height without going crazy with spring rates? I initially felt that the Swifts were the proper choice given the least amount of drop. However, the swift spring rates of F 5.0 and R 7.5 may be too much now given OEM & Tanabe's spring rate ranges of F 3.4-3.6 and R 6.2-6.5. My only other concerns are how the Tanabe's fair when having people in the back seats and/or when luggage is in the trunk? Also, the amount of drop since Tanabe's drop a little more vs. the Swifts.
Old 10-12-23, 09:45 AM
jsbach1685
Driver

So my dealer quoted $2,000 to install springs and do an alignment. Won't be happening at the dealer...
Old 10-12-23, 12:27 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,285 Likes on 1,021 Posts

That's when I look at them and say, why didn't you just say you don't want to do the job.

Depending on where you are in Pa, you might want to go to the IS Cl Forum and ask them. For sure someone there can give you someone reasonable to do the job. Or you might ask for a Sat Pizza and Beer spring install help party.
Old 10-12-23, 12:33 PM
jsbach1685
Driver

That's when I look at them and say, why didn't you just say you don't want to do the job.

Depending on where you are in Pa, you might want to go to the IS Cl Forum and ask them. For sure someone there can give you someone reasonable to do the job. Or you might ask for a Sat Pizza and Beer spring install help party.
LOL... I may just have to do that. I'll check out the other forum and see what I can find.
Old 11-13-23, 06:07 AM
jsbach1685
Driver

Originally Posted by fourgs
The rear spring rate on the gs350 is like twice stiffer than the front spring. Front is too soft. You could disconnect the front actuators while in Sport+ and leave them like that. Or manually set them to your preferred stiffness and see if you like it like that all the time.

also you could swap just the front springs since these springs provide almost no drop it wouldn’t be noticeable.

Following up regarding the AVS settings in each drive mode and how to manual set them? What irritates me is that Lexus doesn't allow you to keep it in Sport+ all the time, but will allow you to do so in Eco. I know the reason" but it's just so stupid. You had mentionedI wanted to ask you about the AVS settings in each drive mode and how to manual set them? What irritates me is that Lexus doesn't allow you to keep it in Sport+ all the time, but will allow you to do so in Eco. I know the reason but it's just so stupid. You had said about disconnecting the connector wire at each damper while in Sport+? Will that keep the dampers at there firmest setting all the time? I take it the rear dampers have a connector wire as well? How do you manually adjusting them?
Old 11-13-23, 06:41 AM
fourgs
Pit Crew

Fronts are easy to access , just remove the decorative cups on top of front shocks , and remove the plug when in sport + . rear I dont know
Yes the shocks will remain in s+
there is a small motor on top of shock that turns the shock setting and you can unplug the connector from it.

Last edited by fourgs; 11-13-23 at 06:52 AM.
Old 11-13-23, 07:15 AM
jsbach1685
Driver

Fronts are easy to access , just remove the decorative cups on top of front shocks , and remove the plug when in sport + . rear I dont know
Yes the shocks will remain in s+
there is a small motor on top of shock that turns the shock setting and you can unplug the connector from it.

Oh, I see. I wonder if these shocks are similar to Tokico Illumina adjustable? I had a 2002 Maxima about 15 years ago and had eibach springs and tokico illumina shocks. They adjusted on the top using a small flathead screwdriver. Settings were 1-5 and there was a noticable click with each setting. I guess the actuator is simply the electronic way of changing it.

Does disconnecting the actuator cause any dash lights?
Old 11-13-23, 11:07 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,610 Likes on 1,026 Posts

The suspension is active - meaning it reads several parameters about the road, how you're driving, etc. and makes constant changes. If you unplug AVS, you'll lose that.
Old 11-13-23, 11:29 AM
fourgs
Pit Crew

No dash lights
Also you could leave the actuator motor plug connected but remove the motor by turning it

Last edited by fourgs; 11-13-23 at 11:37 AM.
Old 11-13-23, 12:18 PM
jsbach1685
Driver

No dash lights
Also you could leave the actuator motor plug connected but remove the motor by turning it
Ok, thanks for the info. One last quick question, I forget who mentioned it, but someone mentioned to get the GSF LCA bushings? Are these bushing only for RWD GS350's? Or, will they work on AWD models as well?
Old 11-15-23, 05:59 AM
jsbach1685
Driver

The 1st thing anyone feeling like their suspension could be better on a 4th Gen GS should do is have the Struts checked out. There have been early failure and leaking with all the years with even very low miles. The Boat like ride makes me think you should have your Struts looked at 1st.
jgscott,
I read on one of your older posts that you had replaced all your shocks with the KYB Gas-A-Just, which is the same as OEM? How do you like them? I thought there was a difference between base, luxury and f-sport AVS shocks, but according to KYB's catalog, the same shock is used for all GS's with AVS. Anyway, I'm going to have my shocks checked out before going any further and wanted to ask how that is done? Is it simply a visual inspection for leaks? Can shocks be bad, but not be leaking? After everything I'm reading about premature AVS shock failure, I'm thinking of replacing them either since when doing the springs.
Old 11-15-23, 10:18 AM
fourthmeal
Intermediate

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
The suspension is active - meaning it reads several parameters about the road, how you're driving, etc. and makes constant changes. If you unplug AVS, you'll lose that.
I'm not an expert but I don't think our AVS shocks do this. What you are describing would be more along the lines of a "mag-ride" shock like Vettes can have as example. AVS seems just like T.E.M.S. did on my old mk3 Supras, where the damping is set by turning an actuator. In fact it seems exactly like that, my mk3's had more settings than just three settings. AVS has just two.

Edit: I'm also on the AWD mild lowering path. It would be very helpful to have some direct comparisons between Swift. RS-R, and Tanabe strictly for the AWD "GRL-15" platform. I've been scouring the threads trying to separate the RWD pics and comments from the AWD, because they seem to be different enough to warrant separate considerations, particularly the drop F vs. R. At least that's been my understanding so far in my digging.

Last edited by fourthmeal; 11-15-23 at 10:24 AM.
Old 11-16-23, 08:38 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,610 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Originally Posted by fourthmeal
I'm not an expert but I don't think our AVS shocks do this. What you are describing would be more along the lines of a "mag-ride" shock like Vettes can have as example. AVS seems just like T.E.M.S. did on my old mk3 Supras, where the damping is set by turning an actuator. In fact it seems exactly like that, my mk3's had more settings than just three settings. AVS has just two.

Edit: I'm also on the AWD mild lowering path. It would be very helpful to have some direct comparisons between Swift. RS-R, and Tanabe strictly for the AWD "GRL-15" platform. I've been scouring the threads trying to separate the RWD pics and comments from the AWD, because they seem to be different enough to warrant separate considerations, particularly the drop F vs. R. At least that's been my understanding so far in my digging.
When the 4th gen GS debuted, Lexus had a video describing many aspects of the car and in it they explained this about the AVS, even showing graphs of how it reacts to driving conditions and makes constant adjustments in fractions of a second. It can be found on YouTube. It's been posted on here before.
The following users liked this post:
fourthmeal (11-20-23)

Quick Reply: Any AWD GS Owners using Lowering Springs?