GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models
View Poll Results: Considering importing a US salvage GS350 without ability to inspect. Should I do it?
Yes! Great idea, likely won’t have any issues and will be a cost effective approach
18.75%
No! Do not think it’s a good idea. Likely to end in tragedy and a lot of wasted money & time
81.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

(Merged threads) Importing an auction GS350 to Bulgaria & related questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-23, 05:02 AM
kolyan
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by EAST
Curiosity question here...

Getting a salvage car from the US of unknown quality and transporting it back and paying whatever taxes to import will be cheaper than getting something from the Euro continent?
Cars from Copart to Europe is a million dollar business because they all come with "clean" title and labor to fix them is a fraction of what it costs in USA

Last edited by kolyan; 06-14-23 at 07:56 AM.
Old 06-14-23, 05:04 AM
kolyan
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by bladest
I pray to have less to zero or no problems at all.. and to have better luck... specially with the rust...
Never buy a car from copart unseen, especially from a dealer
Old 06-14-23, 05:09 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 537 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Floods are common in Texas. There's even a song about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQuY7dHfWrM
I saw and met him on tour for that album and got his autograph for my girlfriend back then.

The following 2 users liked this post by charley95:
DaveGS4 (06-14-23), fastcorner (07-31-23)
Old 06-14-23, 05:14 AM
bladest
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Hues10
You all are hilarious. Bladest, please never leave us. When you post, any problems I think I may be having go away compared to yours. For someone who says he has a garage of classic cars, you still want to buy more cars to have the village mechanic take care of. This village mechanic must love you. There is no one else in the whole village who fixes cars. Are they all doctors and lawyers? Never mind. I will wait for the answer. I am sure it will be good.
i will be quick with this answer i have been in many repair shops and people most of them dodgy and they tell me. Most of my car parts needs to be replaced.
thats why i quit using anyone unless my village repair mechanic.

He is a doctor actually he have hobby fixing cars when he is not at work i work with him for over 10 years and i am happy from the results. So far he manages to fix everything, he rebuild my classical cars and repaired newer cars , he drives and likes japanese cars.
yes i pay him premium same price like dealership but good quality people are few

So let me give you an example between him and toyta dealership i had broken driver seat lumbar mechanism was broken, toyota quoted me for brand new seat they dont do repairs price was astranomical forgot how much - but for my sold car. They asked me around 4500$ for 4 shocks. Replacement labour included seat was more than 5000$ from them. My village mechanic fixed mechanism via 3d printed parts , also fully serviced the car + replaced whole suspention, he can even replace timing belts and chaina. He will never lie to me or tell me i have broken parts when in reality they are fine just an example. I consider him Friend .
Old 06-14-23, 05:36 AM
bladest
Instructor

My opinion. This is an absolutely terrible idea and you are highly likely to end up with a car worse or much worse than your old one.

So many things to possibly go wrong :
unable to inspect before sale
buying on lowest price not high quality
salvage title vehicles often hide undisclosed damage
salvage vehicles that look good are possible flood damage vehicles, not always disclosed. LOTS of US floods last couple years
salvage title vehicles are often open to weather and have mold/smell
damage requires significant parts to repair not easily obtained in your area of the world
US parts sometimes different than rest of world and you won’t be able to get them
cost of obtaining parts and professional installation likely to cause total cost of car to exceed one that didn’t need repair
Shipping vehicle from US more expensive
once you get it home you’ll be faced with months or years of repair waiting for your slow village mechanic and parts delivery
then you’ll figure out you need night vision or 4 more ways of adjustment on your seat for it to be comfortable or something else and be unhappy

I’ve said over and over you should never buy a Lexus again given your location and the lack of both experienced service and parts in your area of the world and inability to work on vehicles yourself. Do not do this.

PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS POST, I’ve offered you advice many times and you have ignored me. I’m trying one more time but I don’t have any patience for anything more than this and will not reply further on this subject in posts or pms.
first i never ignore you and i read everything i consider this as an great option so far in my life i have bought 10 cars worlwide unseen, and i payed insane price,and i got ripped off , again copart i think its fair deal there is a,car fax as well.

For the last 15+ years i buy stuff from all around the globe. For me is very easy , i have access to every market i can buy parts from Usa, i have person with dealership subacriptioj for usa canada and every market , for lexus only.

Remember i have successfully obtained parts from all around the globe and,waited years for my classical cars restoration. I am used to all of this waiting game.
lexus was the most Reliable and amazibg vehicle i ever owned, hopefully my next car will have less to zero rust.
i manage as a hobby in US market to some close relatives of mine stock market portfolio of around 150k$ i know how to tolerate losses i have,sold my car at loss.
For this year portfolio erases all the looses from previous years and now it starts to make some profit, i am also looking for a full time job.
I will not want many options because i will be looking for min hail damage,car and car wilo be,checked with car fax yes there is a,chance car to be lemon and i can live with that or get 2nd and merge them into 1 working thanks yo ny village repair man.
I dont have ability to work on cara but i have ability to make money and that way i will be able to pay my village mechanic or whoever the repair person is. I dont think there is a worse thing that 100% restoration which took me years specially to my village mechanic and parts which are no longer in production , my daily driver classical car converted to lpg still have some issue and started to rust in some areas it was like that before this next car of mine i will drive only on long trips like i am in one today 500miles and i feel inside my classical car like,canned tuna fish with my Gs i was,feeling great with Ls i alao,feel great. If i go with copart route i can tolerate everysingle outcome, and i will be looking for min damage,as possible hail + car,fax clean
Old 06-14-23, 06:07 AM
Lwerewolf
Instructor

Received 245 Likes on 184 Posts

Since you claim to be a capable stock market player, can you do the simple job of extrapolating how long it'd take to make a single working GS out of two, given how long it took you to get your old GS's shocks replaced?

Have you also considered scheduling a mental health check up? Take this however you want, it's my last attempt of preventing you from shooting yourself in the foot or blowing your whole damn leg off. Not that I really care

Anyways, do as you wish. You might want to also consider honoring people's wishes to not engage in conversations with them. Don't PM me on that other forum, your messages are set to be automatically deleted for a good reason - you absolutely do ignore everything and continue to argue like a three year old. You're sure welcome to try and post there, though - if you're not afraid of some local, honest replies - and very likely a ban, if you're persistent.
Old 06-14-23, 06:21 AM
bladest
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
Since you claim to be a capable stock market player, can you do the simple job of extrapolating how long it'd take to make a single working GS out of two, given how long it took you to get your old GS's shocks replaced?

Have you also considered scheduling a mental health check up? Take this however you want, it's my last attempt of preventing you from shooting yourself in the foot or blowing your whole damn leg off. Not that I really care

Anyways, do as you wish. You might want to also consider honoring people's wishes to not engage in conversations with them. Don't PM me on that other forum, your messages are set to be automatically deleted for a good reason - you absolutely do ignore everything and continue to argue like a three year old. You're sure welcome to try and post there, though - if you're not afraid of some local, honest replies - and very likely a ban, if you're persistent.
stock market is a hobby i preffer stable fullyime job in other field,
About shocks, it took me time to order them and due to my village mechanic busy schedule he installed them almost 1 year after they was ordered, so the only negative side is his work he is very busy, but in the end final result is important which is fantastic car.
With my newer car he will be newer less miles and less issues.
Since he is the weak spot in the near future if merger of two cars is needed i will seek other person option 1 or i can wait a couple of years, again i have been there with my classical cars restoration took me years, until then i was driving a beater.
what i can ask in the mental check
Please advice, i had mental check ups once per year it was,mandatory for my previous job, and i am fully clean.
Even if you still laught at me, remember final result is important .

About adressing new cars question even Warren Buffet who is a billioner never buys new cars , he preffers little bit used Cadillacs. So i plan always to get a used car.
and i dont mind driving 30-40 years old cars without any safety like missing abs airbags etc so i can live without night vision too, but least good headlight will help me see much better in the dark compared to halogen bulb on my classical cars. Thats why ls430 or 4th gen gs are great cars.
Old 06-14-23, 06:28 AM
zheka130
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by pd7702
I have to disagree! Someone who couldn't afford a new Lexus can easily afford a used one. It's nothing more than a better built Toyota with more sound deadening and a much better interior. Stuff might be more expensive when it does break but that rarely ever happens either. The only penalty you really pay is paying for premium gas.

For the record 89k mile GS350 I bought a few years ago has been extremely cheap to maintain and I don't do any of my own work except for the air filters. We're talking a total of $1800-1900 in maintenance for the past 3 years and a large chunk of that was new Michelin rubber.
I agree. We arent talking about a V8 Audi. I think a used, well maintained Lexus is a bargain.
Hell, I bought a BMW with 268K kms on the odometer and drove it to 450K kms.
A well maintained Lexus will give you even more miles (perhaps not entirely trouble free though).
Old 06-14-23, 07:55 AM
GonzoSC400
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cwang
Unless you have good DIY sensibilities, you can't be a poor Lexus owner (although the Lexus is probably the best brand to get away with it)
Truer words have never been spoken.
Old 06-14-23, 08:04 AM
dezymond
Instructor

Received 455 Likes on 282 Posts

In all my years on various forums, car forum people tend to be the most helpful. Many members here have gone out of their way and somehow worked up enough patience to give you very very very good advice, yet you continuously to not just ignore that advice but argue.

You have learned nothing from your problems with your previous GS. You have learned nothing from the countless and mostly pointless threads you've made. You continue to ignore the advice of others to perseverate on one single issue at a time. Hell, you're already worrying about a brake actuator for a car you don't even have and haven't even had a real chance at buying yet.

Count your losses, get a car you can afford, or maybe even get a cheap fixer upper so you can actually learn to do some work on your car. But first, use the search bar, use Google, ask your village mechanic first. I've never seen so many threads by one user get shut down because they've failed to search for the answer themselves.

You getting a salvage GS is not a good idea, nothing about it is a good idea. You should have learned this lesson from your last GS. You're going to get the high of a good deal only to find out how big of a problem you really have later on after an inspection and you'll be back at square one with a bunch of problems out of your realm of understanding and complain that it's a money pit. Sit down, look up all your invoices from your previous GS, and realize this is a bad decision. Quit while you're just slightly ahead after dumping your old GS.

Last edited by dezymond; 06-14-23 at 08:15 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by dezymond:
bloodbean (06-16-23), Im2bz2p345 (06-16-23), NJLEXES (06-15-23)
Old 06-14-23, 08:23 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,324 Posts

Bladest all your threads about this activity are going to be merged here so we don’t see a thousand related questions that end up with the same responses. Post anything related to you getting another Lexus here in this thread ONLY please (and only after you have searched for related topics).

I’ve also added a poll so you can have a discrete statistic of your fellow members advice on this topic
The following 3 users liked this post by DaveGS4:
Im2bz2p345 (06-16-23), jgscott (06-14-23), Margate330 (06-14-23)
Old 06-14-23, 03:40 PM
Hues10
Advanced

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts

Just remember Bladest, it was me who suggested you get a bike or take up jogging as a hobby. And then you could have drives the GS450h off the cliff to see if a car really explodes at the bottom. But you didn’t do it, and now we will never truly know the answer. But your questions are classic. If it took a year to get new shocks on a car, did they really need them? Good luck in your search. Get an ES if you don’t like the Camry. Get a used Avalon. Anything but a GS. My wife feels for you.
Old 06-14-23, 06:58 PM
Jakerin
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by bladest
hi everyone , i never been in the usa and i wonder how bad 11 years old GS 350 from Texas can be, rust and maintenance?

Can someone tell me are cars from Texas good or bad choise specially rust , and specialy gs 350 4th gen?
Just because the auction is in Texas doesn’t guarantee the cars they sell are all Texas cars.
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (06-16-23)
Old 06-14-23, 07:16 PM
4GS350
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

My GS350 is daily driven and i consider it 'frugal' compared to my other company car...a LandCruiser 200 with the 1UR :P
Old 06-15-23, 02:58 AM
bladest
Instructor

Originally Posted by 4GS350
My GS350 is daily driven and i consider it 'frugal' compared to my other company car...a LandCruiser 200 with the 1UR :P
I agree with you Gs is amazing car, my ex wife have skoda rapid, for the company she works, after 3-4 years suspention started falling a apart 1.6 diesel sometimes when she fuels the car check engine light goes on, due to the bad fuel from Shell...
with gs i never had any serious issues.
And its a night and day between most european brands and GS, with the ultra luxury options.

Originally Posted by Jakerin
Just because the auction is in Texas doesn’t guarantee the cars they sell are all Texas cars.
Hi , i have made car fax, car have been in texas entire life,
only 2 issues i have found car have 2 linen is this a problem ?
Exporting it , other than that and the damage no other isues 1 single owner.
i have also found another car with rear accident some new bumper and trunk and its ready to go.

Originally Posted by Hues10
Just remember Bladest, it was me who suggested you get a bike or take up jogging as a hobby. And then you could have drives the GS450h off the cliff to see if a car really explodes at the bottom. But you didn’t do it, and now we will never truly know the answer. But your questions are classic. If it took a year to get new shocks on a car, did they really need them? Good luck in your search. Get an ES if you don’t like the Camry. Get a used Avalon. Anything but a GS. My wife feels for you.
Let me give you a summary and clear picture of the life in BG,
here national salary is around 337$ net per month,
People who can afford and drive 4th gen GS from Europe, which in some places cost around 26.000$ are very very extremely rare.
People with expensive cars are not very often here, so to give you even more summary i have grown in the street and i have I've gotten somewhere.
When i was young i had dreams to buy a laptop and to buy a cellphone i am talking 90s to the begining of 2000s.It took me around 18 years to accomplish these things,
GS was one of my dream car it took me several years to get there, unfortunately you know the story, some rust ....

So my next one will be much better, about jogging for the last 3-4 years i do running / jogging around 10km per day.
i can also use public transport and my classical car when i need to go somewhere far away...
You can try dumping from a cliff your car.
So we all can have the answer thank to you.
About shocks,once i learn they are leaking i instantly ordered them, the whole delivery process took around several months , i was not in a hurry, because my mechanic was very busy.... after shocks arrived i waited for him. There is a express delivery its called USPS express mail international, there is a dhl and other express delivery carriers if i need express delivery i can use this option which is more expensive, and the weak link was my mechanic due to his busy schedule at hospital.
So let me give you my other option, in case i need emergency repair i can order parts with express delivery + i can go abroad to the close countries to BG, where i can have parts installed up to the factory specs by the dealerships , which i trust more compared to fake franchizes here.
Again i have a daily driver classical car, so i am not in a hurry first i need to get a fulltime proper job.

Lexus ES is low end car i dont like seats dont have so many adjustment brakes are mizerable,
engines are slow, and car is front wheel drive i really dont like that car and price, how about the price some used ones at around 60.000$ "i think its a steal of the century"

I am talking newer ES for 5-6-7-8 years.
Same story with Avalon , less comfortable seats less braking power etcs etcs...
Not car for me.i like cars which are same categories like GS and Ls.

I got not wife

Bladest all your threads about this activity are going to be merged here so we don’t see a thousand related questions that end up with the same responses. Post anything related to you getting another Lexus here in this thread ONLY please (and only after you have searched for related topics).

I’ve also added a poll so you can have a discrete statistic of your fellow members advice on this topic

Thanks for the Poll dave i appreciate it i got not that advanced skillz to make such polls yet, i am only currently thinking this an option to get a car from the salvage yard, first getting is a job is top priority everything else is a side dish.
I see most members doesnt like the idea..

Originally Posted by dezymond
In all my years on various forums, car forum people tend to be the most helpful. Many members here have gone out of their way and somehow worked up enough patience to give you very very very good advice, yet you continuously to not just ignore that advice but argue.

You have learned nothing from your problems with your previous GS. You have learned nothing from the countless and mostly pointless threads you've made. You continue to ignore the advice of others to perseverate on one single issue at a time. Hell, you're already worrying about a brake actuator for a car you don't even have and haven't even had a real chance at buying yet.

Count your losses, get a car you can afford, or maybe even get a cheap fixer upper so you can actually learn to do some work on your car. But first, use the search bar, use Google, ask your village mechanic first. I've never seen so many threads by one user get shut down because they've failed to search for the answer themselves.

You getting a salvage GS is not a good idea, nothing about it is a good idea. You should have learned this lesson from your last GS. You're going to get the high of a good deal only to find out how big of a problem you really have later on after an inspection and you'll be back at square one with a bunch of problems out of your realm of understanding and complain that it's a money pit. Sit down, look up all your invoices from your previous GS, and realize this is a bad decision. Quit while you're just slightly ahead after dumping your old GS.
From this forum people are very helpfull

The single biggest problem i had with my GS, RUST.
Everything else is either fixed or fixable, new owner of the car is very very Happy he received it with big extremely big discount and he claims car is king of the road, he received BRAND new tyres,shocks,brakes, fully serviced gearbox,engine,diff....
for pocket money .
Even rust can be fixed as long as you have good Mechanic.

I am older person, and i dont plan to fix cars by my self.
Thats beyond my capability.
I always use google and do search, my village mechanic doesnt have much experience with cars simular to mine he have experience with cheap cars... most people here drive cars which cost around 1000$-3000$

I never had a car from salvage yard,
my previous cars had service history my car had 1 single owner, but this have not helped the car to avoid issues like Rust,Shocks and others...
Salvage action offers fair price and so many options.
Remember i have grown in the street and i have I've gotten somewhere.This means that i will not buy worst car in the world i learn from my mistakes.I plan to get a car with min damage as possible,in order to avoid costly repairs.
I am not ahead after i almost gifted my GS sold it at huge steep loss.

Originally Posted by zheka130
I agree. We arent talking about a V8 Audi. I think a used, well maintained Lexus is a bargain.
Hell, I bought a BMW with 268K kms on the odometer and drove it to 450K kms.
A well maintained Lexus will give you even more miles (perhaps not entirely trouble free though).

All of my friends with cars newer or older have much more problems than me, specially people with german cars like Audi, and i am not talking about v8 i am talking about 3 litre diesel for example or 1.9 tdi diesel from vw group so i can consider GS as ultra reliable.

Lexus which is well maintained is a bargan and it can give you a lot of trouble free miles and even with small repairs its still great.

The following 2 users liked this post by bladest:
14GS350 (06-17-23), 4GS350 (06-15-23)

Quick Reply: (Merged threads) Importing an auction GS350 to Bulgaria & related questions