GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS 3gr-fse won't start - staret is cranking but engine won't start

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-20, 09:39 AM
Vaclav
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation GS 3gr-fse won't start - staret is cranking but engine won't start

Hello,
I drive my 2006 lexus 192 K miles without any problem. Park it at night ( winter night). In the morning I come back try to start and nothing. by nothing I mean when I press start button everything inside is how it supposed to but only cooling radiator fan starts to run but no starter / engine engagement at all. I checked the oil it had oil - not ideal amount but enough. And I saw that my cooling liquid was very very low, so I added both. Nothing changed.
I took it to Toyota dealership as it is closest to me (lexus is about 90 miles away) they gave me codes P0020, P0023, P0357. they advised to check wiring for bad connection, they found one and replaced it. Codes are still there. Next step was to replace ECM unit. They got one used one for$ 600( as the new one is $2000) however after putting it in they got more problems then before with my original. Next step they advised to go with new, but without guarantee that it will solve the issue. I refused and send mine ECM to test at SIA Eletronics. They returned the unit and said noting wrong with it.
After plugging that back into car and getting car back from dealership all the sudden starter is engaging now, however the engine still wont turn.
After checking the codes P0020 & 23 those are VVT solenoids or sensors on bank 2 Cam. Pos. "A" actuator circuit and Cam. Pos. "B" actuator circuit/ Open ( attachment - picture from dealership)
I am not sure what exactly that means . I did try to change the 2 sensors and the issue is still the same. I am just trying to figure out if there can be any other issue( maybe just simple thing) that doesn't allow car to start as it was running before without problems and all the sudden in the morning it failed.
Please let me know if you would have any suggestion here that I can narrow this down

Last edited by Vaclav; 06-21-20 at 09:43 AM. Reason: adding more info
Old 06-21-20, 09:59 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 741 Likes on 639 Posts

So intially when you first had the problem the starter wouldnt crank over?

Usually on our cars, when the radiator fan kicks on and doesnt fire on, its a tell tale sign that the fuel pressure sensor on the fuel rail is bad. Its located right under the throttle body, some have had luck by unplugging it and replugging it and it would work temporarily.
Old 06-21-20, 10:25 AM
Vaclav
Driver School Candidate

That's right, noting would happen , just the radiator fan kicked on. I read about the fuel pressure sensor, so I tried to unplug and plug back in but nothing would change... still just the fan( this was before the dealership). But as I said after getting it back from dealership it is at least trying to start( starter engages - motor won't start). So i keep trying to start it and after couple attempts it does the same thing like at the beginning .. just the cooling fan kicks in but starter won't engage.. So now after seeing this post I unplugged the fuel pressure sensor and I am back there where stater engages but motor won't turn. I am little confused because it looks like the fuel issue, but those codes they gave me p0020 p0023 are related to camshaft, but replacing those sensors didn't do anything and solenoids looking to work fine too
Old 06-22-20, 01:15 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Take it back to the dealer, but dont pay. Ask the tech if he monitored the fuel pressure signal. Just like in the video above! If it acts up then theres your issue slap a new fuel sensor. important thing is to diagnose, and not slap parts in hopes of a repair. You really need a good scan tool to monitor everything.

Also something you can try yourself grab a jumper cable wire, mount one side to the nut on top of the strut, and the other to a metal spot on the engine. See if it fires right up, if it does then you might have a ground wire messed up.

As for the camshaft sensors showing errors, that could just be that the engine tried to fire up and didnt. So an error can get tripped up

The following users liked this post:
Farqui (06-23-20)
Old 06-25-20, 09:00 AM
Vaclav
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the suggestion, I would have to have it towed here and back probably. I wish there was a mobile mechanic like the one on video around me. I wasn't able to find any. The strange part is that the codes were only for CAMshaft position sensors and nothing for fuel pressure sensor. but unplugging and plugging in the fuel pressure sensor made the starting sound little more hopeful. Wouldn't the car start if I spray some starter fluid in air intake even with bad fuel pressure sensor ?
Old 06-25-20, 09:27 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Vaclav
Thank you for the suggestion, I would have to have it towed here and back probably. I wish there was a mobile mechanic like the one on video around me. I wasn't able to find any. The strange part is that the codes were only for CAMshaft position sensors and nothing for fuel pressure sensor. but unplugging and plugging in the fuel pressure sensor made the starting sound little more hopeful. Wouldn't the car start if I spray some starter fluid in air intake even with bad fuel pressure sensor ?
Maybe the ecu cuts off ignition, hard to say really. If it does start with the fluid, more likely not for long. You can try it, directly in the throttle body.

In this video, this mechanic states that the sensor, shuts off the starter. So im thinking its ur fuel sensor. Cam or crank signal errors are common when cars dont fire up.

Old 03-14-21, 05:07 AM
Arussto
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Was this ever sorted ? And the root cause ?
Old 07-09-23, 11:31 AM
Ayad
2nd gear

Originally Posted by Vaclav
Hello,
I drive my 2006 lexus 192 K miles without any problem. Park it at night ( winter night). In the morning I come back try to start and nothing. by nothing I mean when I press start button everything inside is how it supposed to but only cooling radiator fan starts to run but no starter / engine engagement at all. I checked the oil it had oil - not ideal amount but enough. And I saw that my cooling liquid was very very low, so I added both. Nothing changed.
I took it to Toyota dealership as it is closest to me (lexus is about 90 miles away) they gave me codes P0020, P0023, P0357. they advised to check wiring for bad connection, they found one and replaced it. Codes are still there. Next step was to replace ECM unit. They got one used one for$ 600( as the new one is $2000) however after putting it in they got more problems then before with my original. Next step they advised to go with new, but without guarantee that it will solve the issue. I refused and send mine ECM to test at SIA Eletronics. They returned the unit and said noting wrong with it.
After plugging that back into car and getting car back from dealership all the sudden starter is engaging now, however the engine still wont turn.
After checking the codes P0020 & 23 those are VVT solenoids or sensors on bank 2 Cam. Pos. "A" actuator circuit and Cam. Pos. "B" actuator circuit/ Open ( attachment - picture from dealership)
I am not sure what exactly that means . I did try to change the 2 sensors and the issue is still the same. I am just trying to figure out if there can be any other issue( maybe just simple thing) that doesn't allow car to start as it was running before without problems and all the sudden in the morning it failed.
Please let me know if you would have any suggestion here that I can narrow this down
Did you find out what the issues are?
Old 07-09-23, 05:35 PM
Arussto
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

When you sy the starter is engaging now, is it turning the motor?
if not battery or starter or seized engine. Start with the simplest first as unlikely the engine seized.