GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Need help locked steering column

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-19, 06:30 PM
Mix20041
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help locked steering column

I have a 2007 lexus gs450h I need help my steering column is locked and cant be turn with force. The car starts up and will move but cant turn the wheel. I have the check hybrid system light on but the hybrid battery does charge according to the battery indicator. A new 12volt battery has been installed as well. The rack n pinion has been replaced under recall in 2009. I bought the car like this with a clean title and have tried alot of stuff even replaced the electric control module under the inverter. I've read in other forums that it might be the dc to dc converter that sends power to the rack n pinion itself I haven't check it because I'm to scared of the high voltage. Also my charging arrows is not illuminated on the energy screen any help is appreciated that's
Old 12-20-19, 01:13 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Take apart the plastic trim thats behind the steering wheel. You may or may not have to remove the steering wheel, or the lower dash half. But that steering column has an electrical motor assist, im betting thats where your issue is. If you can reach the electrical plug to that motor you can atleast test voltage with a volt meter. If youre not getting voltage, then you have an electrical issue else where. But if the motor is getting electrical current and the motor does nothing then its time to replace the motor, but in this case probably easier and cheaper to replace the whole unit with a used one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-LEXUS-...temCondition=4
Old 12-20-19, 08:34 AM
Mix20041
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ibidu1
Take apart the plastic trim thats behind the steering wheel. You may or may not have to remove the steering wheel, or the lower dash half. But that steering column has an electrical motor assist, im betting thats where your issue is. If you can reach the electrical plug to that motor you can atleast test voltage with a volt meter. If youre not getting voltage, then you have an electrical issue else where. But if the motor is getting electrical current and the motor does nothing then its time to replace the motor, but in this case probably easier and cheaper to replace the whole unit with a used one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-LEXUS-...temCondition=4
if you're talking about the steering lock actuator then yes I gave unplug it and tested for voltage and it does have voltage but I don't know of any other electronics devices on the column. I also have purchased another steering column and have not installed due to my column being lock and didn't want to mess anything up. I have looked at the new column to see what all electronics is on it so when you say steering assist what are you talking about. The is a module and electric motor for the telescoping wheel then there is a lock actuator on the other side of the column. What exactly am I looking for. I appreciate the feed thanks.
Old 12-20-19, 09:08 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

After looking at the photo again youre correct, there is no motor assist in our columns. Thats weird because the many lexus/toyota cars have the motor in the column.

The motor that power the steering wheel appears to be in the steering column itself. You can check the power to it, also if the ps light is on there is a trick to remove it and free up the steering wheel.

Old 12-20-19, 04:25 PM
Mix20041
Driver School Candidate

I've seen both of those videos neither one helped me. I've done alot of research and read that I might have a dc to dc converter issue. It what reduces voltage from hybrid battery and sends power to rack n pinion. And that what might be causing my check hybrid system warning light and power steering light