GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Purchasing extended warranty for 2006 Lexus gs300

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-18, 10:38 PM
jepoy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchasing extended warranty for 2006 Lexus gs300

hey guys, ive been looking to buy extended warranty for my vehicle, I was surprised that the car was still eligible based on the year. But I was quoted 1500 w/ 250 deductible, which is ok with. Supposedly Covers a whole lot even emissions. Warranty group is called CARCHEX. Have any of you guys know anything about them, any success stories
Old 04-03-18, 01:38 AM
1lG
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jepoy
hey guys, ive been looking to buy extended warranty for my vehicle, I was surprised that the car was still eligible based on the year. But I was quoted 1500 w/ 250 deductible, which is ok with. Supposedly Covers a whole lot even emissions. Warranty group is called CARCHEX. Have any of you guys know anything about them, any success stories
Please read very carefully
https://www.bbb.org/greater-maryland...and-complaints
Old 04-03-18, 11:38 AM
gs350fan
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by jepoy
Aftermarket warranties are not worth it.
1) They have more holes than swiss cheese, they will worm out of almost everything
2) Expensive
3) They have a lifetime limit, probably 2500-3K for a car that age

Better off putting away 2k in a savings account for a major repair. The guy who sold me my car said a Lexus is a car you can take a good risk on. Told me from all he sold there were few issues, as long as customers maintained the car. A used Audi or BMW, is another story.
Old 04-03-18, 12:43 PM
Leechmon
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Proper maintenance is key. Make sure all fluids are checked or replaced.
Old 04-03-18, 05:00 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

People who say ALL aftermarket warranties are crap, I'm sorry, are talking out of their ***. Yes there are bad ones, but others are fantastic and on Lexus and Toyotas, are often cheap. Just need to do your research and pick the right one. Sure Lexus are reliable, but when they break, despite the Toyota connection, it is expensive.
The following 2 users liked this post by RXGS:
MX73 (04-03-18), RedRover (05-12-19)
Old 04-03-18, 05:37 PM
MX73
Racer

Received 288 Likes on 223 Posts

I'm glad I got the extended service plan on my GS300. Add it on to my purchase at Carmax. $1800 up front, $300 deductible at the Lexus dealership, saved about 6k on engine work (engine oil leak from front seals, oil pan, rear main seals, and I had the alternator replaced.) Running fine ever since.
Old 04-03-18, 08:25 PM
jepoy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the input guys. Yeah I’ve always got the extended warranty, but since this was a used 2006 Lexus GS, I wasn’t too sure if any company would still offer extended to me. So I came a cross CARCHEX, and sounded all good up until I started reading the bbb.. so my question is that I live in southern Cali, what company could I go through or should I go through for extended warranty, I just want to be protected. My vehicle has 52000 miles on it and runs good but still iffy because it still used. I got scared because 300 miles after I purchased it, the engine light came on, I felt like I was tricked into buying what I thought was a perfect car. Luckiliy it was the gas cap. And replacing it fixed the issue, but then I started reading so many horror stories about the transmission.
Old 04-03-18, 08:51 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Transmission issues were the result Of not being serviced, not a common fault as they were in say the older Acura TL. In my experience, especially Toyota’s and Lexus, most catastrophic problems can be prevented with either basic maintence or preventative maintence. I’m sure this is true for most other cars as well.
Old 04-04-18, 05:45 AM
gs350fan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RXGS
People who say ALL aftermarket warranties are crap, I'm sorry, are talking out of their ***. Yes there are bad ones, but others are fantastic and on Lexus and Toyotas, are often cheap. Just need to do your research and pick the right one. Sure Lexus are reliable, but when they break, despite the Toyota connection, it is expensive.
Dealers I spoke with WHO MAKE MONEY on them told me they aren't great. The reviews speak for themselves too. When a claim is denied, the dealer gets a bad rating too.
Example, if overheat because of a covered part, even if you pull over immediately and your engine is damaged most warranties will deny coverage on covered parts. That may become a comprehensive claim though.

I would like to know which ones are good (besides factory).
Old 04-04-18, 05:56 AM
Saddlenow
Driver School Candidate

Seems like mfg. warranty is better than the companies that only stay in business for 6 years before folding. Gives peace of mind, but on a new one, take care of it from the start.
Old 04-04-18, 06:10 AM
gs350fan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MX73
I'm glad I got the extended service plan on my GS300. Add it on to my purchase at Carmax. $1800 up front, $300 deductible at the Lexus dealership, saved about 6k on engine work (engine oil leak from front seals, oil pan, rear main seals, and I had the alternator replaced.) Running fine ever since.
Carmax is different, they aren't going out of business anytime soon and they have sort of a reputation. The cars they sell aren't cheap and warranties are in the price (whether you buy one or not). Many repairs they can do in their shop too.

They have some bad reviews but likely you could escalate it an get it covered. Many warranties are boilerooms where they only care about sales. If something small breaks they will probably cover it but anything major is going to go under a microscope and they will look for reasons to deny it.
Old 04-04-18, 10:02 AM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by gs350fan
Aftermarket warranties are not worth it.
1) They have more holes than swiss cheese, they will worm out of almost everything
2) Expensive
3) They have a lifetime limit, probably 2500-3K for a car that age

Better off putting away 2k in a savings account for a major repair. The guy who sold me my car said a Lexus is a car you can take a good risk on. Told me from all he sold there were few issues, as long as customers maintained the car. A used Audi or BMW, is another story.
^^^^ This .... I’d much rather place $1,500-$2,000 in a emergency fund for minor to catastrophic repairs. With a Lexus it’s worth the risk, and even if you had to spend the money for a major repair you’d better believe that Lexus will be problem free for the continuation of your ownership.
Old 04-04-18, 06:42 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gs350fan
Dealers I spoke with WHO MAKE MONEY on them told me they aren't great. The reviews speak for themselves too. When a claim is denied, the dealer gets a bad rating too.
Example, if overheat because of a covered part, even if you pull over immediately and your engine is damaged most warranties will deny coverage on covered parts. That may become a comprehensive claim though.

I would like to know which ones are good (besides factory).
Yes but to group all aftermarket warranties into one group is foolish. As someone who has greatly benefitted from aftermarket warranties, theres no reason to not have one, just need to do your research and get the best one you can. As for having an "emergency fund", the emergency fund is the cost of the warranty in many cases. If these cars were cheap to fix, then I'd say skip over it, but between the starter, alternator, and water pump, all common problems, thats $3k right off the top, so why not pay half that for a warranty that would cover it?
The following users liked this post:
RedRover (05-12-19)