GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Need help removing glove box

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-17, 07:28 AM
RickyPetit
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help removing glove box

Behind the glove box (where the air filter is) there is a door that opens and closes to change from fresh to recirc air. The door has started making a horrible noise and periodically works improperly. Interestingly, the door moves properly as long as the fan is on low or medium. When the fan is on high, the suction created by the moving air closes the open door and renders the unit inoperable (making that terrible sound). I turn down the fan and manually open the door, it works again.

After researching the issue, it appears that the servo arm is probably broken or off track. The dealer charges between $1,000-$2,0000 to fix. There is a thread on the IS forum that outlines how to remove the glove box so that the servo arm can be repaired. Unfortunately, the process of removing the glove box is different on my 2011 GS350.

I started the repair last night but got stuck at the part where the knee airbag is removed. Can anyone either, advise me on how to get the airbag out...or...direct me to a thread that deals with repairs in this area on my model...or...provide pictures from a GS? Thx
Rick
Old 07-02-17, 09:20 AM
PC94
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I found this older CL thread where someone posted some removal instructions for various components (see below) --

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxb...lJLVBHZTQ/view

It looks like page IP-14 shows you how to remove the glove box. Best of luck!
The following users liked this post:
Farqui (07-03-17)
Old 07-02-17, 10:23 AM
RickyPetit
Driver School Candidate

Awesome, thx! Do you have access to this entire article/manual? Looks like page RS-299 would be very helpful.

"INSTALL FRONT PASSENGER SIDE KNEE AIRBAG
ASSEMBLY (See page RS-299)"

Rick
Old 07-02-17, 01:13 PM
Othic
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Old 07-02-17, 03:28 PM
RickyPetit
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply. Not sure how to access the image you posted. Link?
RB
Old 07-05-17, 12:21 PM
PC94
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No problem! I, unfortunately, do not have any additional photos or anything.

Othic's post is awesome, though. Too bad we don't have access to TIS
Old 07-05-17, 01:14 PM
RickyPetit
Driver School Candidate

I want to thank everyone on this (and the IS) forum for their help. The schematic was invaluable and provided the location of every screw necessary to get the glove box out. I fixed the issue today without too much trouble. Luckily, neither of the hinged arms that move the vent cover were broken...the groove of one had dislodged from the pin in the other. Realigning them fixed things. For future reference (and google searches), this issue arises when the "hood" (that closes the box where the cabin air filter is located) is forced open (it opens automatically by changing from recirc to fresh air mode) which breaks (or dis-articulates) one of the 2 servo arms that move the door. It makes a horrible sound (I thought that is was coming out of the right passenger speaker) when trying to change ventilation modes. The sound lasts for 30 seconds and then the system gives up. It has been said that you can leave the AC system in either recirc or fresh air permanently to "live with it". On my 2011 GS, however, the system constantly self-changes to auto mode and causes the noise again.

There is a great tutorial on the IS forum that applies in all ways except: In order to get the knee airbag out, the top of the center console (the part with the wood) and the side knee cushion (trim piece to the left of the passenger's knee) need to be removed. This exposes 2 10mm bolts that hold the left side of the knee airbag. Otherwise, the tutorial applies perfectly. Fixing the broken pieces once they are visible is dictated by how they are broken. As I mentioned, the best case scenario (mine) was that they became misaligned but not actually broken. BTW, the dealer charges between $1,000-$2,000 to fix this so doing it yourself is very satisfying!

Link to tutorial:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...g-to-circ.html

Link to removing the center console

Link to schematic of GS350 dash including location of screws.

Thanks again!
Rick
The following users liked this post:
Farqui (07-07-17)
Old 01-27-22, 08:05 PM
AshHilton
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyPetit
I want to thank everyone on this (and the IS) forum for their help. The schematic was invaluable and provided the location of every screw necessary to get the glove box out. I fixed the issue today without too much trouble. Luckily, neither of the hinged arms that move the vent cover were broken...the groove of one had dislodged from the pin in the other. Realigning them fixed things. For future reference (and google searches), this issue arises when the "hood" (that closes the box where the cabin air filter is located) is forced open (it opens automatically by changing from recirc to fresh air mode) which breaks (or dis-articulates) one of the 2 servo arms that move the door. It makes a horrible sound (I thought that is was coming out of the right passenger speaker) when trying to change ventilation modes. The sound lasts for 30 seconds and then the system gives up. It has been said that you can leave the AC system in either recirc or fresh air permanently to "live with it". On my 2011 GS, however, the system constantly self-changes to auto mode and causes the noise again.

There is a great tutorial on the IS forum that applies in all ways except: In order to get the knee airbag out, the top of the center console (the part with the wood) and the side knee cushion (trim piece to the left of the passenger's knee) need to be removed. This exposes 2 10mm bolts that hold the left side of the knee airbag. Otherwise, the tutorial applies perfectly. Fixing the broken pieces once they are visible is dictated by how they are broken. As I mentioned, the best case scenario (mine) was that they became misaligned but not actually broken. BTW, the dealer charges between $1,000-$2,000 to fix this so doing it yourself is very satisfying!

Link to tutorial:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...g-to-circ.html

Link to removing the center console
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2rvZr5qQPs

Link to schematic of GS350 dash including location of screws.

Thanks again!
Rick
Hi Rick! This is the closest thread I’ve found that might help me identify the problem I’m experiencing. What was the sound that was made?
Currently I hear this awful whistle that comes from what appears the passenger speaker. I also feel air associated with it too. However, this only happens on recirculation / recycled air mode. If I pull in fresh air, no noise and system works fine. I can’t figure out if it’s a problem with the door in the glovebox or if it’s an issue with the windshield not being sealed. Worth it to mention this started after my car was in the body shop for extensive hail damage, my windshield was also replaced at this time. I’ve taken to 3 Lexus dealers to no avail. They always blame the cabin filter but it’s definitely not that and has been replaced a few times now. Also, if I put a stiff greeting card where I feel the air in between windshield and dash, it will eliminate the sound.

any ideas?