GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

AFS OFF issues GS 350 07

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-17, 07:03 AM
guzzy92fs
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ibidu1
Take it to the dealer and pay an hours worth of diagnostics
Will have to, thanks, but I like the challenge of fixing it myself

Last edited by guzzy92fs; 07-05-17 at 09:56 PM.
Old 05-01-17, 09:03 AM
ez12a
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Correcting some of the misinformation in this thread:

1. The AFS in the 2007 GS350 does move the headlights left to right with steering. Driver's side lamp has a higher degree of turning into the turn than the passenger's. The passenger side moves so little that it's barely noticeable during driving, but it does move.

2. During start up, the headlights do shift slightly horizontally as part of the initialization process. the horizontal movement during startup is barely noticeable as it only moves a few degrees and not the full sweep. You have to keep an eye on the diagonal cutoffs to catch this. They shift slightly horizontally at the end of the vertical down sweep before moving back up.

Anyways, good luck on the troubleshooting OP.
Old 05-01-17, 08:16 PM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts

Most cars with factory HIDs can adjust the beam in the vertical axis to minimize blinding oncoming traffic. Auto-leveling and AFS are separate systems

Also, there is a front level sensor – I believe it's connected to the left lower control arm
Old 05-01-17, 10:14 PM
jeeps005
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having the same problem. I do believe there is a second sensor somewhere near the front left wheel. Please report back if you find a solution.
Old 05-02-17, 05:10 AM
guzzy92fs
Intermediate

I cant find that sensor, and the funny thing is that the AFS system is working because when I go on an uphill I can see that the light stop blinking and suddenly goes solid yellow (System off). I will try to dismount the front left wheel and once again try to find that sensor, maybe that the culprit of my problem.
Old 05-02-17, 09:53 AM
joshphp
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know my 2006 GS300 has a sensor on the front drivers and rear drivers. Plastic rod connected to the control arm and then to a bracket inside the fender well.
Old 05-02-17, 02:30 PM
guzzy92fs
Intermediate

Thanks Josh, is it possible to have a pic of it? Sorry if its too much asking
Old 05-02-17, 05:19 PM
joshphp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by guzzy92fs
Thanks Josh, is it possible to have a pic of it? Sorry if its too much asking
I will try to get one tomorrow for you, see this diagram here: http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...wd=&origin=pla

This is what mine looks like, right to the left of the front strut:

Old 05-02-17, 08:03 PM
guzzy92fs
Intermediate

Thanks mate, you are golden! I will try to check it out tmr.

I also wonder where is the cable routed to from the sensor, because either my sensor is broken, not functioning, missing the cable or simply disconnected?

Last edited by guzzy92fs; 05-02-17 at 08:13 PM.
Old 05-03-17, 08:04 AM
joshphp
Driver School Candidate

Thanks mate, you are golden! I will try to check it out tmr.

I also wonder where is the cable routed to from the sensor, because either my sensor is broken, not functioning, missing the cable or simply disconnected?
You can see the plug up on the top of the sensor, comes through behind the strut at least in the front
The following users liked this post:
designo (05-07-17)
Old 05-03-17, 03:31 PM
guzzy92fs
Intermediate

Great Josh for all the help, unfortunately I was in a waitlist at the paint shop so my car will be in for at least 10 days retouching the paint and taking dings out.. So I will need to postpone dealing with the AFS after the job is done.
Old 05-27-17, 09:26 PM
guzzy92fs
Intermediate

Great Josh for all the help, unfortunately I was in a waitlist at the paint shop so my car will be in for at least 10 days retouching the paint and taking dings out.. So I will need to postpone dealing with the AFS after the job is done.
Ok back again to this, finally got my car out of the shop looking great!

Some pics for those curious, first after getting it back from the shop and second giving some love and care, balancing the wheels and tires and alingment

Now back to solve the afs issue, while upgrading my wheels i took a chance to look for the front sensor and found it, also disconnected it (it was really hard to unplug btw) to see how dirty it was and here is how it looks like, seems like the middle pin needs some cleaning, the tip is green:

I couldn't spray contact cleaner because i didn't have one nearby, but will soon clean it very well.

the adjusting lever was positioned right at the center.

Now the rear sensor... It was stuck, i couldn't disconnect it! So will try again later. The lever was positioned at the center too.

But i really doubt that the issue is sensor based, because since im kind of obsessed with this afs light​ blinking im front of me i notice that sometimes when i go uphill or downhill slightly i can see the light go away, as when the system is working properly so it could probably be that it needs some adjusting.

I will clean sensors well and have someone else inside the car while i adjust the levers, any tips on how to find the right position to rear and front levers?

Or if someone can give me their car's front and rear height sensor values from techstream will be great!!

Last edited by guzzy92fs; 05-27-17 at 09:41 PM.
Old 05-27-17, 11:23 PM
Brabusx2
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Ok back again to this, finally got my car out of the shop looking great!

Some pics for those curious, first after getting it back from the shop and second giving some love and care, balancing the wheels and tires and alingment

Now back to solve the afs issue, while upgrading my wheels i took a chance to look for the front sensor and found it, also disconnected it (it was really hard to unplug btw) to see how dirty it was and here is how it looks like, seems like the middle pin needs some cleaning, the tip is green:

I couldn't spray contact cleaner because i didn't have one nearby, but will soon clean it very well.

the adjusting lever was positioned right at the center.

Now the rear sensor... It was stuck, i couldn't disconnect it! So will try again later. The lever was positioned at the center too.

But i really doubt that the issue is sensor based, because since im kind of obsessed with this afs light​ blinking im front of me i notice that sometimes when i go uphill or downhill slightly i can see the light go away, as when the system is working properly so it could probably be that it needs some adjusting.

I will clean sensors well and have someone else inside the car while i adjust the levers, any tips on how to find the right position to rear and front levers?

Or if someone can give me their car's front and rear height sensor values from techstream will be great!!
i still have same issue, i just mount my gopro on the driver side windshield pointing at the dash with wifi turn on and live view it on my phone to adjust it the both front and rear arm to see if i can fix it, i think my sensor were snap when i replace the suspension, i don't know why i can't fix the damn thing, its been 2 years i still want to get the afs light off, oh well... i know how freaking hard it is to remove the plug, i don't want to cause anymore damage, please let me know if you figure out a fix in the end
Old 05-28-17, 06:08 AM
guzzy92fs
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Brabusx2
i still have same issue, i just mount my gopro on the driver side windshield pointing at the dash with wifi turn on and live view it on my phone to adjust it the both front and rear arm to see if i can fix it, i think my sensor were snap when i replace the suspension, i don't know why i can't fix the damn thing, its been 2 years i still want to get the afs light off, oh well... i know how freaking hard it is to remove the plug, i don't want to cause anymore damage, please let me know if you figure out a fix in the end
Thanks for the GoPro tip, didn't think about that! I will do the same, Plus plug my laptop with techstream to check if the sensors reading change when i move the levers.

If someone can give me the reading value of the sensors it will​ be a lot of help!, Im reading 2.26ftont and 4.50 rear

Last edited by guzzy92fs; 05-28-17 at 06:28 AM.
Old 05-28-17, 06:01 PM
rickdestik
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 08 GS 350 No Current Code

Here you go guzzy, hope this helps. 08 GS350 no current code, but B2416 height sensor control in history.

Quick Reply: AFS OFF issues GS 350 07