GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

AFS OFF issues GS 350 07

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-17, 08:47 AM
guzzy92fs
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
Default AFS OFF issues GS 350 07

Hello Guys! Me and my 07 GS 350 again!
I bought this car around 3 months ago and it always had the AFS lights flashing on the dash and I noticed that when I started the car the lights weren’t leveling and there was very poor illumination from the low beams.This is my first GS but I know from experience with my previous RX that those headlights are supposed to go down and then up when you start the car, so I decided to take the headlights out and see what was going on.So last weekend I removed the front bumper and both headlights to check them out, it was a chaos inside, first they had installed some H4 head bulbs inside without the proper ballast, a piece of ^&**. So, I removed all that crap and put the OEM Ballasts with Phillip D4S cleaned all the connections with contact cleaner and reinstalled all again. Now when I start the car it does do that leveling, the lights goes down and then up so far so good, but the AFS OFF light keeps on flashing on the dash.I give a look at the rear leveling sensor that is on the rear stabilization bar and it’s not broken, I will try to move it a little bit up to see if that fix my issue, but my question here is:What exactly does the AFS do? It moves the lights right and left or only up and down? Because I might be worry that the motor inside the light is not working?And another question, my lights doesn’t have the headlight washes but On the panel inside the car I see the button, it means my car was equipped but that system but the previous owner replaced it with non-washer headlights or does the button comes with the car despite its equipped or not? Help is highly appreaciated.
Old 04-06-17, 08:54 AM
bayer
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The headlight on either side turns in the direction of the turn with afs on.My car has the washer button also but no washers.
Old 04-06-17, 09:12 AM
guzzy92fs
Intermediate

So the low beams should move up/down left/right ? is there a way to test the mechanism? I will try to check the sensor on the rear, probably it needs some adjusting.. But since this headlights were so messed up inside I'm afraid the AFS motor could be not working.

Will try to unplug the sensor as well and give it a nice clean with a contact cleaner.
Old 04-06-17, 06:28 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 120 Likes on 90 Posts

I believe on the 3GS the headlights only move up and down with AFS. They use the differences between the front and rear suspension travel to ensure the light is pointed straight ahead and not blinding other drivers when going over a hill or if fully loaded.
The LS460 had swiveling headlights that turn with the steering wheel.
Old 04-07-17, 06:50 PM
tcr101
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

At the start the 3gs will go up/down and as speedkar9 says on hills. In turns Inotice the light move slightly (5-10 degrees if i recall correctly). Not sure if the left/right is from AFS.
Old 04-07-17, 07:19 PM
guzzy92fs
Intermediate

today i tried to adjust the sensor located on the rear and still afs off blinking... no luck any advices???
Old 04-07-17, 09:46 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 792 Likes on 685 Posts

You need a USB adapter tool and load up techstream and that should tell you the fault code.
Old 04-08-17, 08:55 AM
guzzy92fs
Intermediate

good idea, i have an usb adapter let me get TS and check, TS reads codes even when the check engine is not ON?

Last edited by guzzy92fs; 04-08-17 at 11:12 PM.
Old 04-19-17, 07:41 PM
guzzy92fs
Intermediate

Back again, today had the chance to run TS on my car, last version available of the software and I noticed 3 main things:

1st: I can't pull the trouble codes of the AFS, when I try to read them it throws an error, it says:
"Error Code: 0x91020324
It's possible the requested function will work if you try again."

But it never works even if you try again:

Now the second thing I tried was to make an active test to the system:
I test the motor that moves the headlights up and down and they working both UP and DOWN DIRECTION
Then I moved to the Left headlight and tested the swivel motor moving to the left and it works
Then I moved to the right headlight and test the swivel motor moving to the right and it works.

The only thing I noticed was that the right headlight doesn't move that much to the right as the left headlight moves to the left, maybe something is making the assembly not to move that much and is causing the error?

By the way, here is a pic of the values of the AFS data list:

I noticed that the R swivel motor position is very different than the left one and also that the Trouble Codes have a 4 value, problem is I cant pull that out

Any ideas??? help is much needed I still have the AFS light blinking

Last edited by guzzy92fs; 04-19-17 at 07:50 PM.
Old 04-19-17, 08:09 PM
guzzy92fs
Intermediate

One more question, does the 3GS have only one ride height sensor on the back or does it have one on the front as well just like the lexus IS? because I have only adjusted the rear one, not sure if there is one in the front?
Old 04-30-17, 10:16 AM
guzzy92fs
Intermediate

Guys i need help badly!! I am still facing the AFS OFF light blinking!!

I replaced both my front headlights with brand new ones, so headlight problem is discarded.

Have moved the height position sensor in the back to the center, all the way up and all the way down and nothing. The sensor lever is not broken btw

Tried to move all the headlight motors with TS and the worked

Tried to pull out a code for the afs system with ts and it throws and error

Please if anyone is familiar with the afs system help me

What I haven't try so far:
Disconnect the rear sensor (cant find a way to do it)
Check the front height sensor (if such thing exists)

Anyone?... Please

I'm almost pulling the fuse and giving afs for good

Last edited by guzzy92fs; 04-30-17 at 11:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Wenqi (08-28-19)
Old 04-30-17, 12:39 PM
tcr101
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Have you tried adjusting the sensors while the car is on? You should see the light cut-off line move up and down. If the lights move, It should be how the sensor is aligned. If I recall correctly, it needs to look like a L, there should be a few threads on how it should look.

When my GS had issues with AFS, it was from hitting potholes.. (GS was slammed). Once I restarted the car the AFS light would turn off.
Old 05-01-17, 05:17 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

When you said you replaced both headlights were they purchased brand new from the dealer or aftermarket replacements?
Old 05-01-17, 06:10 AM
guzzy92fs
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ibidu1
When you said you replaced both headlights were they purchased brand new from the dealer or aftermarket replacements?
Dealer new, oem
Old 05-01-17, 06:54 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Take it to the dealer and pay an hours worth of diagnostics

Quick Reply: AFS OFF issues GS 350 07