GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Looking for 2nd opinion/suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-17, 12:31 PM
Jodwin
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for 2nd opinion/suggestion

So I went to my local mechanic today which I trust tremendously, they are a great group of guys both worked at the local Lexus dealerships for 15+ years. They decided to open their own private shop and they do phenomenal work. Here's the diagnosis that they came up with after I had them do some regular maintenance and I explain the car was vibrating - my question to the form is how immediate would you say something like this needs to be done and also where would you go to find the Lexus manfucturer part numbers? I've sent these guys a ton of referrals so they allow me to go and bring the parts in because I have gift cards with advanced auto parts as well as Amazon through my work. Thank you guys for any input as you always bring a ton of value to helping me save money on my vehicle!

Checked front end and advise, found both left and right side caster bushings are cracked which will cause alignment to be out in front in vibration

$446.12 plus alignment $85 plus tax

Transmission mount is collapsed $150.40 plus tax
Old 03-25-17, 01:15 AM
Robertcave
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

I would say now as steering parts going bad will shred your front tyres
Old 03-26-17, 02:28 PM
Jodwin
Rookie

Bump

anyone know how or where to get the manufacture part numbers for what I need on this?
Old 03-26-17, 02:40 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Is this an AWD or RWD?
Old 03-29-17, 06:15 AM
Jodwin
Rookie

Originally Posted by ibidu1
Is this an AWD or RWD?
Sorry for the late response, this is a RWD. I came up with this, anyone know if this would be the right parts needed?

48076-30030
https://www.amazon.com/Toyota-Toyoya-48076-30030-BRACKET/dp/B01F7MA3ES/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1490707269&sr=1-2&keywords=48076-30030 https://www.amazon.com/Toyota-Toyoya-48076-30030-BRACKET/dp/B01F7MA3ES/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1490707269&sr=1-2&keywords=48076-30030

12371-31070
Amazon Amazon
Old 03-29-17, 07:15 AM
Mr4btTahoe
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Depends on what your mechanic is talking about.

If the "caster bushing" he is referring to is the control arm mount.. its a fairly easy part to replace in your driveway with hand tools.

Transmission mount is also very easy to replace with hand tools and a floor jack.

Either way, I would get it fixed ASAP. If the control arm mount fails... you'll have a lot more to worry about then tire wear as it is what holds the lower control arm to the car. You will not be able to maintain control of the vehicle if the mount fails completely. Transmission mount is a little more forgiving.. but would still suggest replacing asap as too much movement in the mount can crack the case of the transmission. Same with motor mounts.. if either move more then the other, it will put undue stress on the transmission case which leads to cracking.

If you have hand tools and a bit of knowledge... you can do the work yourself for 1/4 the price.

Last edited by Mr4btTahoe; 03-29-17 at 07:19 AM.
Old 03-29-17, 12:51 PM
pbxcomm
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Vibrating?
All speeds (town and Highway)? More so while turning? Is the vibration worse with cold or warm tires?
Vibration could be as simple as a wheel weight that has fallen off or a bad tire. I've experience both.
Old 03-29-17, 12:53 PM
pbxcomm
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you seen the parts in question (under the car)?
Old 03-30-17, 08:31 AM
Jodwin
Rookie

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Mr4btTahoe
Depends on what your mechanic is talking about.

If the "caster bushing" he is referring to is the control arm mount.. its a fairly easy part to replace in your driveway with hand tools.

YES - he specifically said that he said "It's the lower control arm bracket"

Transmission mount is also very easy to replace with hand tools and a floor jack.

Either way, I would get it fixed ASAP. If the control arm mount fails... you'll have a lot more to worry about then tire wear as it is what holds the lower control arm to the car. You will not be able to maintain control of the vehicle if the mount fails completely. Transmission mount is a little more forgiving.. but would still suggest replacing asap as too much movement in the mount can crack the case of the transmission. Same with motor mounts.. if either move more then the other, it will put undue stress on the transmission case which leads to cracking.

If you have hand tools and a bit of knowledge... you can do the work yourself for 1/4 the price.
Which I have none of the above lol.....
Old 03-30-17, 08:32 AM
Jodwin
Rookie

Originally Posted by pbxcomm
Vibrating?
All speeds (town and Highway)? More so while turning? Is the vibration worse with cold or warm tires?
Vibration could be as simple as a wheel weight that has fallen off or a bad tire. I've experience both.

Honestly, this is more of a slight vibration when I am going straight, not turning. It is a very slight vibration nothing at all like a shaking or anything of that nature.
Old 03-30-17, 09:40 AM
Mr4btTahoe
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If you trust your mechanic and he told you that the control arm bracket is worn out (which isn't uncommon at all).. get it replaced ASAP.

If it doesn't cure the vibration, take it back and make them fix it as they misdiagnosed it.. but if your mechanic is worth a damn, you should be fine.

Get it fixed. That bracket/bushing locates one of the mount points for the lower control arm. If it fails completely while the car is in motion... you're gonna have a bad day. If one is bad... have him replace both as the other won't be far behind.
Old 04-03-17, 04:09 AM
Jodwin
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mr4btTahoe
If you trust your mechanic and he told you that the control arm bracket is worn out (which isn't uncommon at all).. get it replaced ASAP.

If it doesn't cure the vibration, take it back and make them fix it as they misdiagnosed it.. but if your mechanic is worth a damn, you should be fine.

Get it fixed. That bracket/bushing locates one of the mount points for the lower control arm. If it fails completely while the car is in motion... you're gonna have a bad day. If one is bad... have him replace both as the other won't be far behind.
That is awesome, just what I was hoping to hear and yes these guys are legit they both worked at Lexus for 18 years and decided to stop ripping people off and open their own shop, make more money, do the right thing by their clients etc etc.. Now, I have to buy them and I want to buy them on Amazon because I have a $500 GC and who wouldn't want to buy something from a gift card than with cash. If it isn't too much to ask would you mind assisting me in finding the right part? Last time I bought a headlamp on Amazon... well lets just say it wasn't the right one and it was non-refundable LOL
Old 04-03-17, 05:08 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Those bushings are cheap on ebay, I think 35 bucks a side for OEM originals. Ive had shaking/tracking and this helped. Super easy to replace I think it took me 20-30 min to do both sides with just a floor jack. Lift the car undo one side of the mount, slides right off. Lube the new mount and slip it on, and go get a new alignment asap.
The following users liked this post:
Mr4btTahoe (04-03-17)
Old 04-03-17, 08:19 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

For vibrations, you should start at the rims and tires. Rims could be bent and tires could be out of balance or out of round.

Nevertheless, the lower control arm bushings were cracking on my old ES330 and I had an intermittent slight vibration and a constant pull that alignments and endless tire balancing could never solve.