GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

3GS whining noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-17, 03:26 PM
DHAL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3GS whining noise

sooo I tried the search 1st but couldn't find relevant info to the 3GS. did an oil change last week and within the last few days ive noticed at startup/idle there is a noticeable "whining noise" coming from the top end of engine. happens when driving as well. doesn't sound like a pulley or belt issue either. also noise doesn't go away once car is warmed up either. any info or help as to whats the issue here guys ? thanks.
Old 03-20-17, 04:24 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Does it sound like it's coming from the radiator fan? Or is it right on the very top of the motor? Also, what engine?
Old 03-20-17, 04:57 PM
DHAL
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TRD_Power
Does it sound like it's coming from the radiator fan? Or is it right on the very top of the motor? Also, what engine?
sounds like very top of engine. not from the belt area or radiator. its a 2006 GS300 3.0 motor. 140K on motor.
Old 03-21-17, 12:08 PM
ptplujo
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

To get some obvious questions out of the way, what filter model and brand did you use? What oil viscosity and brand did you use?

I've heard of bad oil filters causing this and sludge from poorly maintained cars.
Old 03-22-17, 03:22 AM
DHAL
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ptplujo
To get some obvious questions out of the way, what filter model and brand did you use? What oil viscosity and brand did you use?

I've heard of bad oil filters causing this and sludge from poorly maintained cars.
performed oil change with Purolator oil filter and 5 qts of Castrol high mileage 10W40 oil and 1 qt of Lucas oil stabilizer. car has 140K on engine.
Old 03-23-17, 02:40 PM
bayer
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At this point it would be easiest to check tensioner pulley to make sure belt is not worn out, see if wear limits align.If not the belt take tension off tensioner pulley and spin all pulleys, listen for any noise or slack in bearings,pulleys should be silent when spun.Check water pump ,should also spin silently.Check altenator,same thing ,all idler pulleies.Good luck.
Old 03-24-17, 03:26 PM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you new to this car? The reason I'm asking is because these engines typically make whining noise. The direct injection fuel system uses two pumps, one low pressure electric pump in the gas tank, and second one is a high pressure mechanical pump located on top of the engine (right side). The mechanical pump makes the whining noise (which can also be heard on IS350 models).
Old 03-24-17, 08:42 PM
ptplujo
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DHAL
performed oil change with Purolator oil filter and 5 qts of Castrol high mileage 10W40 oil and 1 qt of Lucas oil stabilizer. car has 140K on engine.
If it was mines, I would start with the easiest first if at all possible for you. Redo an oil change. Personally, stick with the recommended viscosity for your year model (since it doesn't say what year you have). For mines was 5w-30. I would never add an additive to a car whether it has 50k or 500k miles. Motors nowadays are built to specific tolerances and unless the original recommended viscosity was causing an issue and required a different viscosity; would not change it.

Lastly, as others have said; there is a coincidence that something else could be the culprit and requires further investigation. However, seeing as you said you have checked for those specific issues already.. undoing what you just did before this happened would be the easiest route seeing as an oil change is not hard. A blown motor or something else will be worse. The pump recommended by vadim540i is easy to locate and you can narrow that out by popping the hood and listening to see if that is indeed what you are hearing.
Old 03-28-17, 09:55 AM
PC94
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hmm ... I have the same issue, only it is the pulley for the alternator. Are you having any sort of electrical issues, as well?
The following users liked this post:
DHAL (04-11-17)
Old 03-29-17, 02:32 PM
tekkie
Pole Position

I had the same noise issue last summer. The car would make this low whinning noise when at idle and driving. Along with this noise, my programmed seat position and side mirror would be lost after I park the car for a few hours. It turned out my battery was weak and after I replaced the battery, the nois went away.
Old 03-29-17, 03:30 PM
bayer
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tekkie
I had the same noise issue last summer. The car would make this low whinning noise when at idle and driving. Along with this noise, my programmed seat position and side mirror would be lost after I park the car for a few hours. It turned out my battery was weak and after I replaced the battery, the nois went away.
That sounds like the altenator was under excessive load until the battery was fully charged.Not good for longevity of altenator.
Old 04-11-17, 01:30 PM
DHAL
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

well boys and girls turns out the issue was a defective alternator pulley bearing. i disconnected the drive belt for a couple seconds and noise went away. luckily my alternator was under warranty being i changed it last year. so zero cost to me for part and labor. thanks everyone for all the positive input !!!
Old 04-11-17, 05:35 PM
PC94
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DHAL
well boys and girls turns out the issue was a defective alternator pulley bearing. i disconnected the drive belt for a couple seconds and noise went away. luckily my alternator was under warranty being i changed it last year. so zero cost to me for part and labor. thanks everyone for all the positive input !!!
Awesome, thanks for the update! Glad you got it figured out ... I am getting mine replaced on Saturday (out of warranty), and the dealer is charging $1,075 (ouch). Lucky break!