GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2nd passenger side rear caliper in a year... what gives??

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-17, 07:44 PM
Mr4btTahoe
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 2nd passenger side rear caliper in a year... what gives??

Hey guys..

So about a year ago, I replaced the passenger side rear caliper/bracket and hose on the wife's '06 GS300 as I noticed the smell of hot brakes when she pulled into the driveway and that wheel was coated heavily in brake dust.

Well, tonight I went to grab dinner... when I got out to go into the house, the familiar smell of hot brakes hit me. Sure enough, the passenger side rear wheel was black... wheel center was putting off heat unlike the other 3 so yet again... the caliper is sticking.

Thankfully, I got a lifetime warranty caliper the last time... so no cost.. just a bit of time. Was just curious if there was another flexible line in the system that could possibly be causing the hang-up with just this caliper.... or anything I could be missing? I always replace the flex lines when I replace calipers and I always flush the system at the same time. Maybe just a fluke?

I know this model year was bad about the caliper guide pins (which is why I replaced the bracket as well). This time, I'll strip the new one down and coat everything heavily with antiseize...

Input?

Thanks!
Old 03-09-17, 07:55 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Usually the guide pins, especially if you live in icy regions, in which youre more prone to rusting the pins.
Old 03-09-17, 08:17 PM
Mr4btTahoe
Rookie

The whole bracket assembly was replaced (which includes the guide pins)... and this is the only one that is having the issue. I disassembled and greased the other 3 when this one failed last year and they all appear to be original to the car.
The following users liked this post:
ForzaF (03-23-17)
Old 03-10-17, 04:20 AM
M4rk
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

Pad hardware is often overlooked. A bit of corrosion can alter the clearances, preventing the pads from moving freely inside the bracket. I always swap my shims when changing the pads.
Old 03-10-17, 07:43 AM
Mr4btTahoe
Rookie

That was all changed by the dealership just before I bought it (or so I think as it had new pads and what looked like new rotors). I'm tired of the brake dust from the pads they put on it so I've already got a full set of Akebono ProACT pads sitting at the house and new Raybestos rotors on the way. Guess I'll see if we can hold out 'til it all gets here and just do everything at once.

From the sounds of it, I'm not overlooking anything. I mainly just wanted to make sure there wasn't another flex line in the system only feeding the passenger side rear.

New caliper and bracket are on the way under warranty. Suck part is.. yesterday it was 70F... this weekend, the high is going to be 35F... But that's how it works typically.

Thanks guys