GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

'06 gs300 need to drain gas...where is drain plug on the gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-17, 06:12 PM
mekonoir
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '06 gs300 need to drain gas...where is drain plug on the gas tank

Hello, Everyone,

I have a 2006 GS300 AWD. I am trying to drain some bad gas I got at the gas station. There was rain all weekend in S.C. and apparently it tainted the gas at this particular gas station. I was at a half tank and filled up unfortunately with the bad gas. My car cut off about minute later on the highway after the fill up. (I called the Dept of Agriculture and my insurance company but I need to get on the road ASAP, so I need to do this). I believe there is an anti-siphoning mechanism on the car so I can't siphon, so I want to drain the tank, refill with good premium gas then add HEET for any other water in tank...I need to get on the road ASAP. I looked underneath the car and could not find where the drain plug for the tank is.

Can some please explain in detail where the drain plug is for the gas tank and how to access it, or if you have pics and/or video, that would be even more helpful. Thanks for respectful comments.

Oh, and I had to have the car towed off the Interstate...it will not turn over. I don't want to keep trying and lock the car engine so i NEED HELP ASAP!
Old 01-03-17, 06:25 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 794 Likes on 687 Posts

I doubt the tank or most tanks in general have any kind of drain on it. What you can do is locate the fuel pump open the line and attach a small 12 volt battery to the pump and let the fuel drain out of the pump into a small gas container.

Another possible method is to open the tank siphon pump and use a siphon pump/transfer pump into the tank from the top. To access this you might have to remove the back seat and maybe there is an access plate to the tank fuel pump cover.

third way, unbolt the tank allow it to drain and reinstall.

Once you have drained the tank and reattached the line to the pump you can for added peace of mind undo the fuel line at the fuel rail on the engine and allow the fuel pump to drain the line.
Old 01-03-17, 06:33 PM
mekonoir
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Ibid for replying...

You have to forgive me but I'm a noob (but I think I can follow directions lol) but answer this please: I would I open the fuel pump once I find it and where do attach the battery to the pump?

I will check YouTube and Google for insight on your other methods. Thanks 100%
Old 01-03-17, 06:43 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 794 Likes on 687 Posts

Here is the 2nd method I told you about. But look under the tank its possible to have a drain
Old 01-03-17, 07:05 PM
mekonoir
Driver School Candidate

Hey Ibid

Ok so what I'm gonna try to do tomorrow is see if my fuel tank is similar to the video. All I would have to do then is siphon out the visible gas and I should be in biz. I am going to look under the car also for the gas tank. I do know how it looks (if have any pics or links let me know). I let you know buddy and thanks!

oh, and I think you were the first one who replied to my alternator fix last week. Well, me and a friend of mine changed it out and didn't even have to remove the AC compressor (someone posted and said that I had to). I'm glad for that! It works perfectly. Thanks for that as well...
Old 01-04-17, 10:38 AM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Depending on how much water is in your tank, before emptying the tank you could try pouring some 99% isopropanol into it – this will dissolve the water in the gasoline. Also, the water that got into the gas station's tanks was likely dirty, so it could be that your fuel filter is clogged. And as ibidu suggested, it would be a good idea to drain the fuel lines before trying to turn the car on, since you don't want to risk hydrolock.

It may not be a bad idea to take the car to the shop or dealer for this one

Also, you can find an exploded view of the fuel tank components here: http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...driveline=8065

Last edited by Sodium; 01-04-17 at 10:43 AM.