GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Plasti dipped my GS460 wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-16, 09:41 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Plasti dipped my GS460 wheels

After seeing a few plasti dip projects in person, I decided to give it a shot on my GS460's wheels. I did 7 coats of the anthracite gray, and overall, I am very pleased with the outcome. Was hoping they would be a tad bit lighter, but for less than $50, I'm not complaining. Anyways, here are a bunch of pics, one before the whole project. Oh, and ignore the plasti dip remnants on the tires, I removed it all today and didn't get a pic.
Attached Thumbnails Plasti dipped my GS460 wheels-2.jpg   Plasti dipped my GS460 wheels-3.jpg   Plasti dipped my GS460 wheels-1.jpg   Plasti dipped my GS460 wheels-4.jpg   Plasti dipped my GS460 wheels-5.jpg  

Plasti dipped my GS460 wheels-6.jpg   Plasti dipped my GS460 wheels-7.jpg   Plasti dipped my GS460 wheels-8.jpg  
Old 10-30-16, 12:43 PM
Gs3500
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sweet! Would It hide minor clear coat and paint peels well? What happens if plastic ip gets scratched? Do you have to reapply the whole thing?
Old 10-30-16, 08:02 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

I personally prefer the contrasting silver look of the wheels over the gray.

Gray wheels to me looks like someone was being lazy about cleaning brake dust.
Old 10-30-16, 08:10 PM
Fausty
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by speedkar9
I personally prefer the contrasting silver look of the wheels over the gray.

Gray wheels to me looks like someone was being lazy about cleaning brake dust.
I think they came out nice and if op car wasn't grey they would look better but I agree with what you say about contrast.
Old 10-30-16, 08:27 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Can't say I'm feeling this one. I could see corrosion prevention benefits, though!
Old 10-30-16, 09:24 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

I'm definitely waiting for a nice smoked silver to come out. They look better in person, that's for sure. A big part of doing this was to test the waters before pulling the trigger on painting or powder coating. From what I've read, a deeper silver is in the works, so hopefully the rumors are true before summer rolls around. But, as you said, it's going to be great corrosion protection for this winter I'll be sure to post up pics of the new color if/when it comes out. For now, I'm enjoying the change from the boring silver it was.

As for the scratch repairs, you can just spray over the area a few times until it fills.
Old 10-30-16, 09:41 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Here's same color, but with the "metalizer" spray over. Thinking about it. Thoughts?

Old 10-30-16, 11:42 PM
aznxenon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Yup the stock fan blade doesn't look good in dark if you have a dark car. Look into metalizer, there are these plastidip sprays you can spray on top of the base coat to change colors. I mixed gold and copper metalizer before to make bronze on a set of FRS wheels

What I used: https://i.imgur.com/WxDOiRJl.jpg
Results: https://i.imgur.com/OBKETFgl.jpg

Just gotta search around and try it out. You can always peel it off and redo easily

Last edited by aznxenon; 10-30-16 at 11:46 PM.
Old 10-31-16, 01:39 AM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Agree, never liked dark wheels on dark cars, I think they'd look really nice on a white or silver GS. But things always look different in person, definitely a worthwhile tool to cover up wheels that have curb rash.
Old 10-31-16, 08:20 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by aznxenon
Yup the stock fan blade doesn't look good in dark if you have a dark car. Look into metalizer, there are these plastidip sprays you can spray on top of the base coat to change colors. I mixed gold and copper metalizer before to make bronze on a set of FRS wheels

What I used: https://i.imgur.com/WxDOiRJl.jpg
Results: https://i.imgur.com/OBKETFgl.jpg

Just gotta search around and try it out. You can always peel it off and redo easily
Great outcome on the FRS wheels. How does the metalizer look in person? After browsing around a bit, it seems like the metal flake in it is a bit large/too sparkly for my taste.

Originally Posted by Lukas99GS
Agree, never liked dark wheels on dark cars, I think they'd look really nice on a white or silver GS. But things always look different in person, definitely a worthwhile tool to cover up wheels that have curb rash.
Absolutely. It definitely covered up some minor blemishes around some of the wheels, including clear coat peel in the lug wells. They also make a nice looking silver color, which would be great for a quick fix on stock wheels that get curbed up a bit. The stuff fills pitting and dings pretty well with a few coats, so it's a good, cheap fix for somebody not wanting to fork the bill on refinishing all of their wheels.
Old 10-31-16, 08:42 PM
tayslexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I absolutely love it and it's better than going aftermarket.
Old 10-31-16, 10:54 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tayslexus
I absolutely love it and it's better than going aftermarket.
Thanks! It's definitely one of those "pictures don't do it justice" situations, but I'm liking it Here's another pic I snapped after work:
Old 11-01-16, 12:05 AM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts

Well aesthetically, gray car + gray wheels + gray tires + dark windows = a bit too achromatic for my taste. Of course, gotta give you props for what appears to be an excellent job applying the plastidip! Lol you should just go completely achromatic and plastidip your badges and chrome trim, smoke your headlights, fogs, mirror turn signals, and tail lights, and paint your calipers gray (with black "Lexus" decals of course)

Seriously though, throw in a bit of contrast and paint your calipers something bright, like red, electric blue, white, or lime green if you really want to stand out!
Old 11-01-16, 12:21 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sodium
Well aesthetically, gray car + gray wheels + gray tires + dark windows = a bit too achromatic for my taste. Of course, gotta give you props for what appears to be an excellent job applying the plastidip! Lol you should just go completely achromatic and plastidip your badges and chrome trim, smoke your headlights, fogs, mirror turn signals, and tail lights, and paint your calipers gray (with black "Lexus" decals of course)

Seriously though, throw in a bit of contrast and paint your calipers something bright, like red, electric blue, white, or lime green if you really want to stand out!
Haha, I am definitely going to add some subtle changes, like peeling the plasti dip off of the wheel emblems and lug nuts. Also, I personally am growing fonder of the dark all around look. Still might give the smoked silver a shot later on in time, but it's definitely growing on me more. As for the brake calipers, I really like the stock color. They need a good scrubbing to make them stand out a bit more, which is in order.

Thanks for all the comments/opinions, all!
Old 11-01-16, 12:32 AM
aznxenon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TRD_Power
How does the metalizer look in person? After browsing around a bit, it seems like the metal flake in it is a bit large/too sparkly for my taste.
It was pretty darn subtle if you ask me, it's one of those situations where the picture doesn't do its justice. It'll add a nice metallic effect to the wheels instead of the lifeless matte, but most pictures are up close in direct sun light so the flakes are overexposed.

I know you're not planning on it but please don't ruin the headlights/taillights by "smoking" or painting them black. I don't understand why some people think it's "cool" to make driving extra dangerous for other motorist when they can't see the damn brake lights.

Quick Reply: Plasti dipped my GS460 wheels