GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Stereo System/Subwoofer Setup POST EM UP =)

Old 08-23-14, 01:45 AM
MX5
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark Levinson + 12" JL with JL amp. Box on passenger side of trunk, taking up too much trunk space LOL
Not sure what converters/adapters, as I had a stereo shop do it. I have no patience for wiring
It friggin pounds, in fact I need to turn the gain down.
Old 08-23-14, 09:45 AM
shawdawg17
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JL Audio 600/1v3
1 Memphis M5 in ported box

It's a real clean set up and does not take up a lot of trunk space. It sounds real good. I use to run a single Jl audio 12w3, but after going threw 2 on them I decided I needed a sub that would last. The JL sounded better than the M5 though.
Old 09-01-14, 08:57 AM
dellexus
Driver School Candidate

Quick question guys.
What do you guys think of the Audison Bit One?

Was thinking if I should go ahead with the whole sound system setup.

But then Im thinking of purchasing a GTR or maybe a Mitsubishi EVO.

Minds playing games now lol
Old 09-01-14, 10:32 AM
SILENTM
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Audison is good. You always transfer your sound system to your next vehicle
Old 09-01-14, 03:07 PM
dellexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SILENTM
Audison is good. You always transfer your sound system to your next vehicle
Lol I was thinking the same but then I was thinking of keeping the GS
Old 09-17-14, 08:51 PM
Georgian7
Driver School Candidate

New GS350 owner here and I just have a quick question for owners with Mark Levinson. When adding an aftermarket sub did y'all remove the stock sub? The ML system is awesome but some songs seem to push the sub way past its limits. Is this a common problem? I just bought the car with 100,000 miles so the sub could just be old and blown or going bad.

Thanks for the help
Old 09-18-14, 05:37 AM
uberEJ
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Georgian7
New GS350 owner here and I just have a quick question for owners with Mark Levinson. When adding an aftermarket sub did y'all remove the stock sub? The ML system is awesome but some songs seem to push the sub way past its limits. Is this a common problem? I just bought the car with 100,000 miles so the sub could just be old and blown or going bad.

Thanks for the help
I couldn't tell you much about the ML system but I can tell you that I left my factory sub on. I haven't tested what the output would be if I removed it. I didn't want to mess up the air enclosure for the trunk.

has anyone tested without the stock sub and leaving it open? I would like to know if it sounded better removing it or keeping it in. preferably an answer from someone with a ported box.
Old 09-18-14, 09:26 AM
warandcar
Lead Lap

i have a ported kicker comp box and was told by the sound and stereo shop here that the bass frequencies played by the sub will penetrate the cabin with little difference to weather the sub is in place or removed… but mine is still in place and i was thinking about opening it up
Old 09-18-14, 12:57 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Georgian7

Thanks for the help
The ML sub tends to not sound so great on extremely bass-driven songs. It's why I don't like it very much... You could also have a torn surround (in which case you sound hear it sort of rattle at lower volumes.

Only way to determine 100% is to go underneath it and look from inside the trunk (or you could take it out and look at it yourself).

I never removed my factory sub, been meaning to get around to it but I've been extremely lazy to be honest (lol).

Originally Posted by uberEJ
I couldn't tell you much about the ML system but I can tell you that I left my factory sub on. I haven't tested what the output would be if I removed it. I didn't want to mess up the air enclosure for the trunk.

has anyone tested without the stock sub and leaving it open? I would like to know if it sounded better removing it or keeping it in. preferably an answer from someone with a ported box.
Last I checked, with a ported setup trunk setup, you want to seal off all the holes in the trunk, with the exception of the port. Port's supposed to be pointed directly into the cabin *hint: lots of people use the ski pass for a 4th order setup to the cabin*

I have a sealed setup, not because I prefer it, but because of spacial limits in my trunk. With the ski pass open, it sounds a lot louder in the car FWIW.

GL!
Old 09-18-14, 01:56 PM
Georgian7
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=XxGoKoUxX;8717505]The ML sub tends to not sound so great on extremely bass-driven songs. It's why I don't like it very much... You could also have a torn surround (in which case you sound hear it sort of rattle at lower volumes.

Only way to determine 100% is to go underneath it and look from inside the trunk (or you could take it out and look at it yourself).

I never removed my factory sub, been meaning to get around to it but I've been extremely lazy to be honest (lol)."

Thanks for the info. I think when I install my sub and amp I will just go ahead and take out the stock ML sub. It seems like a pain in the butt to remove but I think it will be worth it in the end. The distorted bass is driving me nuts!
Old 09-18-14, 05:01 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

it would drive me nuts too Georgian.... My aunt's lx470 equipped with ML wasn't enjoyable either when it was making that ratchet noise.

I'd remove it or stop playing music altogether that makes the sub rattle, otherwise you'll damage the amplifier, and that's just more money.

GL!