GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

DIY: 3GS Water Pump Replacement (***with pics***)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-19, 07:46 PM
professorm
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Is there any need to change the belt tensioner as preventative maintenance while replacing the other parts?

Is there need to replace the thermostat?
Old 01-29-19, 11:21 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by professorm
Is there any need to change the belt tensioner as preventative maintenance while replacing the other parts?

No need to! If youre paying a shop to do it, then I would, but if your were to diy then if it gets damaged later its super easy.

When I did mine, I looked for good quality aftermarket tensioner, I used Gates brand it was cheaper then oem
The following users liked this post:
professorm (01-30-19)
Old 01-30-19, 06:42 PM
vincewchan
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RevisLEXGS
Hi. I recently replaced my water pump on my 2009 GS350. I noticed however the new pump is leaking around the seal. I was told by the guy at the auto store to use the sealant so i applied it. However after i noticed the leak around the new pump i researched and saw a article saying that the newer gaskets dont require sealant and that it could cause a leak around the seal. Was wondering did you apply any to yours or you just installed the gasket alone?
I did not apply any extra gasket/sealant other than the gasket provided with the waterpump. Driven over 500 miles with new waterpump and no signs of leaking anywhere.

There is no need to change the belt tensioner or thermostat but I just figured why not since my buddy gets employee pricing at longo lexus on parts and I enjoy DIY and wrenching.

I went with the Gates brand like ibidu1 and alchemist suggested. You can get it from Walmart and or amazon.
Old 01-31-19, 06:17 AM
professorm
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by vincewchan
There is no need to change the belt tensioner or thermostat but I just figured why not since my buddy gets employee pricing at longo lexus on parts and I enjoy DIY and wrenching.
I am at 120k miles now.

Has there been any reports of thermostat failing? When I told my mechanic that I was changing the water pump and not the thermostat, he laughed at me. Of course, he is a general mechanic and not Lexus specific, so I told him that the water pump is the weak point on this car, but everything else is solid, including the thermostat.
Conventional knowledge had it that you always change the thermostat on any vehicle around 100k miles. That was a part of my previous Honda’s 100k miles tune up.

Why don’t we change the thermostat? Let’s say I am 200 miles away from home when it fails, does it ALWAYS faily open where I can make it back home? Is it such a solid part that I don’t even need to worry about it even at 200k miles?

Can my engine survive a thermostat failure?
Old 01-31-19, 07:30 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

I am at 120k miles now.

Has there been any reports of thermostat failing? When I told my mechanic that I was changing the water pump and not the thermostat, he laughed at me. Of course, he is a general mechanic and not Lexus specific, so I told him that the water pump is the weak point on this car, but everything else is solid, including the thermostat.
Conventional knowledge had it that you always change the thermostat on any vehicle around 100k miles. That was a part of my previous Honda’s 100k miles tune up.

Why don’t we change the thermostat? Let’s say I am 200 miles away from home when it fails, does it ALWAYS faily open where I can make it back home? Is it such a solid part that I don’t even need to worry about it even at 200k miles?

Can my engine survive a thermostat failure?
When I did my water pump 4 years ago, my thermostat wasnt that old. At that time oem were pretty expensive! Since then the prices have dropped! But yes, you should replace the thermostat, if one were to seize lock up it would block coolant flow. There is a small hole thats usually drilled into thermostats that allows some coolant to pass.

Old 01-31-19, 11:51 AM
professorm
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ibidu1
When I did my water pump 4 years ago, my thermostat wasnt that old. At that time oem were pretty expensive! Since then the prices have dropped! But yes, you should replace the thermostat, if one were to seize lock up it would block coolant flow. There is a small hole thats usually drilled into thermostats that allows some coolant to pass.
Thanks! I ordered the OEM Thermostat 16031-31020 on ebay for $27.59
Old 02-11-19, 03:20 PM
professorm
Pit Crew

I took screenshots from EZ12a’s video that he linked above to help me with the specs. I hope he doesn’t mind. I can remove the screenshots if he requests.

Torque values

Inlet hose

Water pump

Thanks for the excellent write up. I was able to successfully change the water pump, belt, thermostat, coolant and idle pully. The only thing I wish I changed was the pully on the tensioner.

The only thing missing from this post is the torque values of the water pump.
waterpump 12mm bolts = 15 ft *lbf
waterpuml 10mm bolts = 6.75 ft*lbf

I have 123k miles. The dealership said that my water pump was starting to make slight noise, but it was not leaking. I now have peace of mind with it changed.

I bought all my parts from RockAuto and ebay. The entire job cost me $230.

By the way, I went to get my coolant from the Toyota dealership thinking it would be a good price. I ended up paying $63 for 2 bottles of coolant. The same thing was on eBay for $42, but I ended up buying the $46 coolant to get slightly faster shipping. I did not know that I could buy fluids online as well. I got mine in 2 days.

Last edited by professorm; 02-11-19 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-16-19, 04:21 AM
samsonn25
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by vincewchan
Wow, 150k on the stock pump is amazing.

I used the distilled water to flush the radiator/cooling system with the original water pump AND with the new water pump (probably not necessary but I figured why not).

I have 224k miles 07 GS450h on my stock oem water pump and I intend to do it at 250k miles.
Old 04-19-19, 09:36 PM
enshiu
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

115k mls on stock pump. whats the safe interval?
Old 06-02-19, 08:32 AM
asciarra21
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the great write up, and all of the additional info. I will change the water pump, inlet assembly, tensioners, belt, stat and coolant this next weekend.
Wife has a 07 with 120K on it currently. I will follow up with any helpful info if found.
Thanks again everyone

Question, your thoughts on the following inlet & outlet
assembly’s. Should these be changed as well?

Water Inlet - Lexus (16031-31020)

Water Outlet - Lexus (16304-31037)

Last edited by asciarra21; 06-02-19 at 09:05 AM.
Old 06-02-19, 09:13 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by asciarra21
Thanks for the great write up, and all of the additional info. I will change the water pump, inlet assembly, tensioners, belt, stat and coolant this next weekend.
Wife has a 07 with 120K on it currently. I will follow up with any helpful info if found.
Thanks again everyone

Question, your thoughts on the following inlet & outlet
assembly’s. Should these be changed as well?

Water Inlet - Lexus (16031-31020)

I would only replace that inlet, as it is your thermostat. You can find these oem on ebay pretty cheap.
Old 06-02-19, 09:34 AM
asciarra21
Driver

Originally Posted by ibidu1
I would only replace that inlet, as it is your thermostat. You can find these oem on ebay pretty cheap.
Awesome, thank you Sir.

I’ll check out the Bay.
Old 06-03-19, 04:30 AM
samsonn25
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Sgfierros
A huge thanks to the OP and for the great info posted in this thread. Swapped out the wp on my 07 GS450h. A heads up to those looking to do this on theirs, get the right belt as it's different(shorter) than the GS350 and you DO NOT need the idler pulley. The 450h doesn't have it as there is also no alternator. I also had issues with the o-ring on the water inlet housing. The one included with my waterpump was slightly missized and I ended up having to get a universal one to replace. Also for those thinking not to drain their coolant, it can be done but will be unnecessarily messy. If I were to do it again, I would just drain off a good portion of the coolant to simplify things. Hope this helps someone and thanks again guys!

-Steve
The GS450h does have an idler pulley assembly and it is ribbed , there is 1. This is needed to put tension on the belt for the crank and waterpump pulley. Lexus Part No.: 16620-31060. I dont see a separate part number for just the pulley but there is a company on Ebay that makes replacement pulleys if you are worried about the bearings in it.

The GS350 have 2 that are not ribbed. These pulleys can be replaced.

Last edited by samsonn25; 06-03-19 at 05:04 AM.
Old 06-08-19, 12:35 PM
asciarra21
Driver

Awesome right up and additions.
Does anyone happen to know the torque spec for the thermostat.
I went through the thread a few times and didn’t see it.
I’m doing my water pump right now and also changing the stat and hoses but I could not find the spec on the stat nuts.
Any info is greatly appreciated. And if I find it I will post it as well.

*** Also notice that only two of the 10mm bolts have a blue indicator for thread-locker. But all of the 12mm bolts have what appears to be a pipe dope of some sort.

Anyone have any insight?

Last edited by asciarra21; 06-08-19 at 02:17 PM.
Old 06-08-19, 09:57 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by asciarra21
Awesome right up and additions.
Does anyone happen to know the torque spec for the thermostat.
I went through the thread a few times and didn’t see it.
I’m doing my water pump right now and also changing the stat and hoses but I could not find the spec on the stat nuts.
Any info is greatly appreciated. And if I find it I will post it as well.

*** Also notice that only two of the 10mm bolts have a blue indicator for thread-locker. But all of the 12mm bolts have what appears to be a pipe dope of some sort.

Anyone have any insight?
Any bolts connected to the engine (that vibrates) I would use blue loctite. I dont know the torque specs, but for something small like the 10mm head bolts I would snug them up by feel, you will be ok.

When I did my water pump years ago, I didnt use a torque wrench at all.

Quick Reply: DIY: 3GS Water Pump Replacement (***with pics***)