GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS 460 1ur-fe performance upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-13, 10:42 PM
chinewalk
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS 460 1ur-fe performance upgrades

Now here is the trouble i face, i want more power, i take it to the 1/4 strip often, best time so far is a 14.0 at 102mph.

I am having mucho trouble finding performance parts for this motor (1ur-fe) but these are my current thoughts and i have the mechanical inclination to do it all, but with little being done elsewhere to this motor by us poor DIY guys anything i do seems to be venturing into the unknown.

- Direct injection swap from the ls460 (40hp gain approx)

- 5.7 swap, alot more support for this motor, as well as the trd supercharger

- 2ur-fse 5.0 from a ls600 but all the hybrid tech seems likley to add difficulty even though i would not retaing the hyrbrid powertraain

- Wet shot of nitrous, single fogger. may use an msd unit i have to retard timing or an apexi neo for fuel.

- I see many programmers for the 4.6 tundra, i am wondering if it would work at all on my car.

- Or turbo... I have all the means to fab a kit, tuning is just a bit of a *****, i would rather not have the headache of wiring in a motec unit or what have you and deal with probably a million weird electrical issues ( lights sensors etc.)

Share some lexus v8 wisdom with me?

Here is a video and some pictures of my car. Ingore the drug dealer wheels they are temporary hehe.

Exhaust vid
Facebook Post

In cabin sounds

Last edited by chinewalk; 05-16-17 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-19-13, 11:23 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

uz-tuning option?

http://www.ttcperformanceproducts.com/

http://www.lextreme.com/
Old 07-19-13, 11:26 PM
chinewalk
Rookie

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
The first link pertains to the 1uz not 1ur.

I have posted the same thread i did here on the lextreme forum. Havent gotten any info though
Old 07-19-13, 11:37 PM
XxGoKoUxX

ohh no, I suggested the uz-tuning option, since you're into V8 performance and was looking to do a swap anyway. It's a proven engine also, just like the UR

You could also go the IS-F engine route. (2UR-GSE)
Old 07-20-13, 12:57 PM
jamodeo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by chinewalk
Hi all, My names Elliott, im 22 and live in vancouver.

I have had es300s in the past ( laugh it up ) and always been a toyota fanboy, though i am a major honda enthusiast and am building a drag car from a 97 civic hatch at the moment.

For my daily fun I drive a 2008 lexus gs460,

All i have done to it so far is an exhaust i fabbed myself, wheels and coilovers are in the mail, blew the stock RR so i might as well upgrade.

Now here is the trouble i face, i want more power, i take it to the 1/4 strip often, best time so far is a 14.0 at 102mph.

I am having mucho trouble finding performance parts for this motor (1ur-fe) but these are my current thoughts and i have the mechanical inclination to do it all, but with little being done elsewhere to this motor by us poor DIY guys anything i do seems to be venturing into the unknown.

- Direct injection swap from the ls460 (40hp gain approx)

- 5.7 swap, alot more support for this motor, as well as the trd supercharger

- 2ur-fse 5.0 from a ls600 but all the hybrid tech seems likley to add difficulty even though i would not retaing the hyrbrid powertraain

- Wet shot of nitrous, single fogger. may use an msd unit i have to retard timing or an apexi neo for fuel.

- I see many programmers for the 4.6 tundra, i am wondering if it would work at all on my car.

- Or turbo... I have all the means to fab a kit, tuning is just a bit of a *****, i would rather not have the headache of wiring in a motec unit or what have you and deal with probably a million weird electrical issues ( lights sensors etc.)

Share some lexus v8 wisdom with me?

To be honest, my 2009 GS460 has a 1UR-FSE (which has direct injection) and it is still undertuned compared to the LS460, and I don't think you would just be able to "add" direct injection to your engine. I would think you'd need to swap the entire motor if you wanted the increase in power and add direct injection. Are you sure you don't have direct injection already? I always thought the middle east was the only place to get the 1UR-FE

As far as the 2UR-FSE, I would source the 2UR-GSE from the IS-F as you would probably have less issues dropping that in rather than dropping in the 2UR-FSE with its electrical half missing.

I actually thought about getting an ECU from a LS460, then getting the wiring harness and locating the 2nd MAF somewhere then running it to see if I can get that increase in power. I'm sure it would be possible, but I wont know until I try it and compare on the dyno.

If you do end up doing any of these things, I would be very curious to see! Good luck with whatever you decide, and if I end up ever doing the LS460 ECU idea, I will most definitely post everything about it in the form!

-Joe
Old 07-21-13, 03:23 PM
designo
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 283 Posts

i take it to the 1/4 strip often, best time so far is a 14.0 at 102mph.
13.6 is possible if you have LSD. Do you?

Direct injection swap from the ls460 (40hp gain approx)
That's an idea, how's your fuel where you live? Is it sulfur free?

5.7 swap, alot more support for this motor, as well as the trd supercharger
You're on the right track.

Wet shot of nitrous, single fogger. may use an msd unit i have to retard timing or an apexi neo for fuel.
Won't work, ECU will pull timing after 2 runs on a dyno. You need an after market tuning company to replace your source EPROM and sub-processor. That's all i can say.

I see many programmers for the 4.6 tundra, i am wondering if it would work at all on my car.
No, different EEPROM!

Or turbo... I have all the means to fab a kit, tuning is just a bit of a *****, i would rather not have the headache of wiring in a motec unit or what have you and deal with probably a million weird electrical issues ( lights sensors etc.)
Good luck keeping temperature and boost stable! You will end up with an AFR of below 8 on boost above 6PSI, and then a sudden spike of leanness that hits 15... and BOOM! EEPROM on this machine has a very advance ignition timing system. Not so clever when you try to manipulate it.
Old 07-21-13, 10:49 PM
XxGoKoUxX

damn designo, seems like you've taken the route to do just about every optional mod to your car! Props brother
Old 07-22-13, 06:30 AM
jamodeo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
damn designo, seems like you've taken the route to do just about every optional mod to your car! Props brother
Yea, about that designo, wheres the write up on your new setup

-Joe
Old 07-22-13, 12:10 PM
designo
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 283 Posts

Didn't work, almost lost my motor! ECU issue didn't work out.

Back to old simple setup now. Feels good to drive her without worrying!

For those who hadn't seen the video of my test run against an M5, here it is again. TRD supercharger off a Tundra was used. And that night was all the enjoyment I got out of it... after that all hell broke loose! Everything went wrong!

Old 07-22-13, 04:00 PM
StayStanky
Driver School Candidate

2008 460 here...also curious about power mods. So far all I have messed with is exhaust and suspension.

Motor swap? Sounds really really expensive. I've never even seen a gs460 with any power mods besides exhaust lol.

How much power are you looking to make? How much are you willing to spend?
Old 05-07-17, 06:02 PM
Tuna713
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi chinewalk,

I added "sprint booster" from JEGS for a GX460 (its awesome)
And a modified cold air intake for a 2005 GS430. The struggle is real bro i hear you on the scarcity of aftermarket availability. Next ill be swapping the diff from a GS350 for the more torque'ee 3.769 and a stand alone ecu...
Old 05-07-17, 11:34 PM
LoveThatV8
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuna713
Hi chinewalk,

I added "sprint booster" from JEGS for a GX460 (its awesome)
And a modified cold air intake for a 2005 GS430. The struggle is real bro i hear you on the scarcity of aftermarket availability. Next ill be swapping the diff from a GS350 for the more torque'ee 3.769 and a stand alone ecu...
chinewalk's last activity was December 2013 bro, you just revived a 4+ year old thread. Damn. lol
Old 05-11-17, 05:32 PM
Tuna713
Driver School Candidate

I know... but with so few post on GS460's I figured it might help if anyone was looking to mod the V8. I had hell looking for help and finally took a chance. worked out great just took some mod work.
The following users liked this post:
Daswede420 (04-02-23)
Old 04-02-23, 05:09 AM
Daswede420
Rookie

Feels like even fewer performance modifications for the LS460. Just got pedal commander and cleaned MAF sensors. Waiting on Red bullet solenoids to arrive in mail.

Any good exhaust options? looking to do catalytic converter delete.(could just bolt them back in for inspections)
Old 04-02-23, 01:34 PM
TreysGS460
Intermediate

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Daswede420
Feels like even fewer performance modifications for the LS460. Just got pedal commander and cleaned MAF sensors. Waiting on Red bullet solenoids to arrive in mail.

Any good exhaust options? looking to do catalytic converter delete.(could just bolt them back in for inspections)
double old thread revival lol

If you want the most out of the car, a custom 2.5in dual exhaust is what most will do, no cats, with an X pipe, unless there is a catback for the LS that already does that. The GS guys can use aftermarket ISF exhausts with a little fab work.

Then see if you can get a tune, that'll easily push it over 400hp, if I had an LS its what I would have done years ago.

Quick Reply: GS 460 1ur-fe performance upgrades