GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

So my check VSC light story

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-13, 06:05 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow So my check VSC light story

Hello fellow CL members,
One day I was idling on a gas station waiting for a pump to free up, when all of a sudden my check engine light comes on with traction off and exclamation mark. Screen says check VSC. Filled up gas no problem, drove to autozone guy tells me its an oxygen sensor, that's what he got from running the code. This all happened on a Monday, while doing research that same day with people with similar issues, after about 5 hours everything turns off no more yellow lights.
That was weird so I was just like eh it could of acted up and threw the code.
2 days later, drive to the gym its idling good no problem. Go to the gym, come out turn on my car all the lights are back again. I', like dam whats going on. This was on wed, So I was like let me wait a day, see if it comes off. Day later nothing comes turns off still the same exact lights, I made a lexus appointment for Tues, only day of from work that day. So I am hoping and praying that the lights would stay on until tues, keep in mind its Thurs, so we have 5 days ahead of us. Go back to the same autozone with the lights on to run the system again to see what comes up, guy tries to run it like 4 times, and it keep saying everything is ok. (keep in mind his computer is smaller then my cable remote so we can't expect much from it) So he finds nothing and suggests to go to the dealer, Which is an obvious thing to do, As I do have extended warranty on my car, and the mileage is 80,400, but I am covered all the way to 100k and end of next year. But me I always like to know what the problem is before I got to the dealer, just to make sure everything goes smoothly. I go to the other autozone, as I am pulling in to the lot, I put the car in reverse to park. it stalls on me. I go inside ask the guy to run my codes, he comes out with a little bigger handheld computer, and runs the codes. It comes back with 6 codes, not sure what codes but I remember somewhat of what it said. Bank 1 sensor, Bank 2 sensor. air flow sensor, High or low voltage something or other, and the main computer. This is sunday already got 2 days before lexus appointment. Middle of monday I park my car, get a coffee come back to the car, start it and bam no lights everything is perfectly fine. I'm already frustrated because my appointment is the next day. Worried that lexus will tell me the usual, "Couldn't duplicate the issue". Spoke to one of my good mechanic friends and he tells me "don't worry they can run the whole system and see what happen it is all stored in the memory some sort of. Bring it into lexus and let them know about the problem, the test drive guy tells me not to worry that they can pull up and see what was wrong even thought the lights are not on.
By the way I have Lexus platinum extended warranty, that covers the car 100k miles and/ or 7 years that I have Purchased from Troy Getrik at greenfield toyota. So they check out the car, by like 4 pm, they tell me I need a new MAF sensor, and they contacted lexus for them to come and check out the car tomorrow. Puzzled as to why LEXUS has to come, If I am already at a lexus dealership, I left the dealership without asking why. I call my service advisor to ask why is LEXUS needed to come and inspect the car, to me it sounds like it a big issue. He tells me thats how lexus extended warranty works, they basically have a guy come in look at the car, and approve of any work that needs to be done. He calls me later in the day to let me know they approved it, and they are gonna replace the MAF, and 2 motor mounts. I was like 2 motor mounts? He said yes they checked it out and noticed some unusual play and that it needed replacement. I am all excited because usually I come in with 3 comlains and only have 1 complain addressed. While in this situation I came in for 1 problem had the other arising problem I am assuming fixed. All in all cars feels great, and more tight I guess. For now everything is running good and I am happy to have her back
. I asked him if I was to pay out of pocket, how much would this whole service cost, He said motor mounts alone in labor was 8 hours, lexus charges $125 per hour, so that is $1000, mounts were around $300 and the sensor was like $200. Basically one visit payed off for the warranty.
Old 07-05-13, 07:10 PM
DrewGS350
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

God it all I worked out. Getting a warranty can be a blessing sometimes.