GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS300 front brakes... also an IS250 problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-13, 11:40 AM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default GS300 front brakes... also an IS250 problem

So the GS300 and IS250 share a front brake setup.

I recently changed out my OE setup for StopTech pads and new Lexus rotors.
Did not reuse the factory shims per StopTech's recommendation as the StopTech Streets have a shim already fastened. I did change out the fitting kit and lubed the contact points properly with Permatex anti-seize.

Where I think I may have gone wrong is by not reusing the wear indicators.

The issue I'm having is that the pad pings around and clicks when driving around. Brakes on or not, it doesn't matter. I have a feeling that the wear indicator clip on each pad takes up the slack that allows the pad to move around.

Thoughts?
Old 05-19-13, 01:47 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Silencer I believe are riveted to the pads. Are you talking about the top cooling plate and the pin that attaches to the tops of the pads? With out that I am sure they will rattle around.
Old 05-19-13, 02:03 PM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ibidu1
Silencer I believe are riveted to the pads. Are you talking about the top cooling plate and the pin that attaches to the tops of the pads? With out that I am sure they will rattle around.
I've tried every combination of everything with the exception of those little clips that are supposedly "wear indicators".

Ordering them tomorrow to find out. Otherwise I'm going to switch back to OE and mail the StopTech pads back to them with a letter telling them to figure it out.

The StopTech pads don't come with any hardware. You'd think they would have figured it out.
I absolutely love the feel the StopTech pads have though. It's super linear.
Old 05-19-13, 02:23 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Simmsled
I've tried every combination of everything with the exception of those little clips that are supposedly "wear indicators".

Ordering them tomorrow to find out. Otherwise I'm going to switch back to OE and mail the StopTech pads back to them with a letter telling them to figure it out.

The StopTech pads don't come with any hardware. You'd think they would have figured it out.
I absolutely love the feel the StopTech pads have though. It's super linear.
I used Prostops ceramics on my IS250 and loved those pads. There probably not as aggressive, as your pads. But they were way better then OEM dusty pads. I had no issues with them at all, and mounted right up. I did have to toss the backing pads as the new pads came with there own.
Old 05-19-13, 04:39 PM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

I used Prostops ceramics on my IS250 and loved those pads. There probably not as aggressive, as your pads. But they were way better then OEM dusty pads. I had no issues with them at all, and mounted right up. I did have to toss the backing pads as the new pads came with there own.
Ok just so we are talking about the same thing:

OE:
1. brake pad
2. Shim
3. Shim (backing plate?)

Aftermarket:
1. Brake pad with shim already attached.
2. Nothing else used?

So did you reuse anything with your Prostops?
Old 05-19-13, 06:11 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Ok just so we are talking about the same thing:

OE:
1. brake pad
2. Shim
3. Shim (backing plate?)

Aftermarket:
1. Brake pad with shim already attached.
2. Nothing else used?

So did you reuse anything with your Prostops?
I reused everything minus the shim and backing plate. As those were attached to the Prostop pads already. So nothing was attached to the prostop pads as far as backing is concerned.

On the top of the caliper, I did reuse all the hardware.
Old 05-19-13, 10:53 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When replacing pads the only thing that you should replace is the brake pads (if brake pads comes with shims and are not removable then use the one's that come with the pad) The big pin that holds the brake pads in place before taking them out has to be reused. Brake job involves small little locking pin, big pin that goes in the middle of the brake pads,A metal plate we can call it that is also pressed under the big pin, shim kit (if the brake pads dont come with one) and brake pad it self. If you are talking about brake pads shifting between reversing and then driving forward, that means they are a little bit loose and needs the big plate to be bend so it can apply more pressure to keep them in place. If you can post pictures of the calipers with brake pads installed so we can see what you did wrong. Wear indicators come on the brake pads it self, Its those little metal nipples on the brake pad back plate.
Old 05-20-13, 08:01 AM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
When replacing pads the only thing that you should replace is the brake pads (if brake pads comes with shims and are not removable then use the one's that come with the pad) The big pin that holds the brake pads in place before taking them out has to be reused. Brake job involves small little locking pin, big pin that goes in the middle of the brake pads,A metal plate we can call it that is also pressed under the big pin, shim kit (if the brake pads dont come with one) and brake pad it self. If you are talking about brake pads shifting between reversing and then driving forward, that means they are a little bit loose and needs the big plate to be bend so it can apply more pressure to keep them in place. If you can post pictures of the calipers with brake pads installed so we can see what you did wrong. Wear indicators come on the brake pads it self, Its those little metal nipples on the brake pad back plate.
Your description sounds like GS350 front brakes.
The GS300 has the IS250 (single piston) brakes and are completely different from the GS350 setup.

I dropped the car off at Lexus this morning, so we'll see later today what they have to say. Otherwise, I'd be more than happy to post pics.
Old 05-20-13, 09:31 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

I have a feeling your pads just didnt seat properly. Did you put anti squeal behind the pads? Pads need to seated, maybe also you had an air pocket in the line not allowing the piston to compress and seat the pad.

Nonetheless the dealer should be able to pickup on it and diagnose it properly.
Old 05-20-13, 05:16 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Your description sounds like GS350 front brakes.
The GS300 has the IS250 (single piston) brakes and are completely different from the GS350 setup.

I dropped the car off at Lexus this morning, so we'll see later today what they have to say. Otherwise, I'd be more than happy to post pics.
Oh dam sorry. yes my description was for the GS350 pads, we have 4 pistons vs 1 piston on the gs300.
Old 05-20-13, 07:06 PM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

I have a feeling your pads just didnt seat properly. Did you put anti squeal behind the pads? Pads need to seated, maybe also you had an air pocket in the line not allowing the piston to compress and seat the pad.

Nonetheless the dealer should be able to pickup on it and diagnose it properly.
I never had an issue with squealing, so no anti squeal applied. The brakes seated properly and I did the recommended seating process from StopTech. The brakes feel absolutely great.
I also made a point to flush the brake lines prior to the replacement.

Honestly I have a feeling that its some little thing I didn't know to do.

Oh dam sorry. yes my description was for the GS350 pads, we have 4 pistons vs 1 piston on the gs300.
No worries mate!
Old 05-20-13, 11:33 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Im actually considering getting the stop tech brake pads as soon as my fronts are due, are they really that much better then oem? I usually hear good things about brake pads but when i put them on its seems same braking power as oem, i am always looking for more initial bite.
Old 05-21-13, 07:58 AM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Im actually considering getting the stop tech brake pads as soon as my fronts are due, are they really that much better then oem? I usually hear good things about brake pads but when i put them on its seems same braking power as oem, i am always looking for more initial bite.
You know, I love them. The feel and modulation improved. The initial bite improved.

I will say this... if you are on all season tires, the pad may be too much bite. I had my Michelin MXV4 Primacy whatever tires on when I was bedding the pads and it was difficult to stay out of ABS. After I switched over to my Continental DW tires, the added bite immediately translated into consistent shorter stopping distance. Just the pads may not stop the car in shorter distances, but the feel is definitely there.

I can't speak for the GS350 application, but for my GS300, it may be a moot point if nobody knows how to keep the pads from dragging on the rotor during regular driving.

My update from the dealer is that they hear the noise and are charging a $120 diagnostic fee.
This dealer is good to me, we'll see what they come back with.

If those clips (47771) in the pic keep the pads locked in place, then that is a simple fix. If not, I fear they are going to say I need to switch back to the OE brake pad setup.

Old 05-23-13, 11:31 AM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

In an anti-climatic ending to the story... turns out that I had a few defective (rusty on the inside) lug nuts that would torque to proper spec... but not against the wheel.

Super happy it had nothing to do with the StopTech pads! Still enjoying every second.

On another note... had a 2012 Maxima SV fully loaded as a loaner. Nice car, but didn't feel/handle like my GS. Really makes you appreciate the attention to detail that Lexus puts into their cars. (Btw, the Maxima stickered at 40k, so of course its not an apples to apples comparison.... just figured I'd mention)