GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Blown center speaker ML

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-17, 08:51 PM
Japmand
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why not just disconnect the center channel? You're not listening to true 5.1 anyway. There is no telling what Pioneer/Mark Levinson did to give you a "center" sound image. The proper way to listen to "stereo" information is via a proper "left/right" independent channel. If you toss in some manufactured bogus synthesized center channel sound you are interfering with the left/right stereo image.

Of course there are a few last remaining AM listeners that might appreciate it...

The tweeters in the rear doors are also disconnected in my GS due to the interference of front stage.

Much better to just disconnect the center channel in my opinion.
Old 09-26-17, 02:58 PM
JayAltezza
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man this thread saved my life. I enjoy listening to music in my car but was dealing with this dreaded cracking noise from my center speaker for several weeks now. Did some research but came up with nothing until I finally came across this thread.

I was really surprised how easy the repair was. The dust cap came off and I had it out and repaired with some glue I had left overs from a kit I bought to repair my subwoofer. The entire process took 10 maybe 15 minutes.

I am alittle disappointed with the ML system. So far I have had to repair 4 speakers. The drivers side front woofer, the rear subwoofer, the center speaker, and this weekend rear drivers tweeter. I have never had to do that with any other car. My bass is set one notch above half, so It’s not a result of me blowing my speakers out listening to EDM etc.
Old 09-28-17, 08:29 AM
L's TLS
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by JayAltezza
Man this thread saved my life. I enjoy listening to music in my car but was dealing with this dreaded cracking noise from my center speaker for several weeks now. Did some research but came up with nothing until I finally came across this thread.

I was really surprised how easy the repair was. The dust cap came off and I had it out and repaired with some glue I had left overs from a kit I bought to repair my subwoofer. The entire process took 10 maybe 15 minutes.

I am alittle disappointed with the ML system. So far I have had to repair 4 speakers. The drivers side front woofer, the rear subwoofer, the center speaker, and this weekend rear drivers tweeter. I have never had to do that with any other car. My bass is set one notch above half, so It’s not a result of me blowing my speakers out listening to EDM etc.
The speakers were likely abused before you had the car. I've had the ML system for a little over two years and no issues other than the front center tweeter in the dash.
Old 09-28-17, 05:52 PM
JayAltezza
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by L's TLS
The speakers were likely abused before you had the car. I've had the ML system for a little over two years and no issues other than the front center tweeter in the dash.

Probably ����*♂️
Old 08-29-18, 07:01 PM
MAR350
Driver School Candidate

Thank you!!! Going to try this 1st thing in the morning, sounds like same issue I'm having.
Old 08-30-18, 06:57 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I sometime get a rear rattle(if bass is at higher level), that sounds like it could be the rear subwoofer? Not sure yet. Is that an easy repair? Thanks.
Old 08-31-18, 06:11 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I am assuming a subwoofer can be repaired like a front speaker? If that is what's causing the sound from the rear. I'm currently not able to check it out but may get the chance next week. Thanks.
Old 12-09-19, 08:54 AM
Plotrek81
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Japmand
Why not just disconnect the center channel? You're not listening to true 5.1 anyway. There is no telling what Pioneer/Mark Levinson did to give you a "center" sound image. The proper way to listen to "stereo" information is via a proper "left/right" independent channel. If you toss in some manufactured bogus synthesized center channel sound you are interfering with the left/right stereo image.

Of course there are a few last remaining AM listeners that might appreciate it...

The tweeters in the rear doors are also disconnected in my GS due to the interference of front stage.

Much better to just disconnect the center channel in my opinion.
hi,
how do you disconnect this speaker? Is this matter of software or hardware?
Old 07-19-23, 11:19 AM
11Es350Lex
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default It's hardware

Originally Posted by Plotrek81
hi,
how do you disconnect this speaker? Is this matter of software or hardware?
you remove the speaker grille on the dash and inplug
remove rear door panels unplug those tweeters it's purely hardware. But I don't get why anyone would discconect speaker there is no way any real quality is being lost.