ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-3rd-gen-2006-2011-153/)
-   -   Blown center speaker ML (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-3rd-gen-2006-2011/681910-blown-center-speaker-ml.html)

yoitsdre 03-07-13 09:47 AM

Blown center speaker ML

So it seems like my front center dashboard speaker is blown in my ML system GS and i was wondering if anybody had suggestions for an aftermarket replacement. I called lexus and they want $312 for the center speaker and I figured I can probably find something better and cheaper.

I think the size is 2.5" but not sure if any 2.5" will work and what rewiring if any will need to be done.

1sWt2GS 03-07-13 09:48 AM

just go aftermarket. the ML system for Lexus isn't the best anyways

yoitsdre 03-07-13 09:54 AM

Any particular brand/model that you can suggest?

jamodeo 03-07-13 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by yoitsdre (Post 7807394)
So it seems like my front center dashboard speaker is blown in my ML system GS and i was wondering if anybody had suggestions for an aftermarket replacement. I called lexus and they want $312 for the center speaker and I figured I can probably find something better and cheaper.

I think the size is 2.5" but not sure if any 2.5" will work and what rewiring if any will need to be done.

If you order from sewell with our CL pricing its only $189 and I don't think its very hard to change out. The part number for my car is 86160D for that speaker. I don't know what year and model you have so you will have to look that up to double check that the part number is the same.

I know I am not answering your question at all, I just figured I would share the information with you since its a substantial savings over your dealer and will be much easier just to replace with OEM.

-Joe

benztolex 03-07-13 10:55 AM

Ouch thats expensive. If you go aftermarket, you should change them all no?

energie8 03-07-13 12:02 PM

That happened to me last year! I just took it out and continued on, average person could not tell the sound difference. But before I was going to buy an aftermarket one and just pop it in but the sound was fine without it so I didn't.

yoitsdre 03-07-13 12:17 PM

thanks jamodeo, I will keep in mind sewell as it is a considerable price difference.

benztolex - Didn't know i would have to replace all speakers if I wanted to change 1 of them to aftermarket. Can anyone confirm this?

energie8 - so i can just unplug it? I thought no sound would play if any of the speakers was unplugged...?

bigblack06 03-07-13 12:17 PM

The Lexus ML is trash in the 3GS, def change it with another speaker, I think there is a repair kit for it that strengthens the paper cup. I would still get a new one though. +1 on changing them all if you decide to go with an aftermarket one, also I have seen them on Ebay.

jamodeo 03-07-13 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by bigblack06 (Post 7807774)
The Lexus ML is trash in the 3GS, def change it with another speaker, I think there is a repair kit for it that strengthens the paper cup. I would still get a new one though. +1 on changing them all if you decide to go with an aftermarket one, also I have seen them on Ebay.

I thought that the ML system uses metal cones, that is one of the advantages over the stock paper cone system.

Also, wouldn't it be cheaper to just replace the one speaker with OEM than changing everything to aftermarket? Unless you really dislike the ML system, why change out the entire thing? just my .02

-Joe

energie8 03-07-13 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by yoitsdre (Post 7807772)

energie8 - so i can just unplug it? I thought no sound would play if any of the speakers was unplugged...?

Ya, you can just take it out and all the other speakers will still work.

AudioBob 03-07-13 04:23 PM

The stock system speakers are all poly, except the tweeters and they are silk domes. The ML system utilizes paper cones in the doors and metal dome tweeters. I don't know if the center channel or small mids in the dash are paper or not because I have not personally seen them. Many audiophiles prefer paper cones as they are the most natural sounding speakers versus othe materials. You can most likely find a speaker that will work with very little effort at Madisound or Parts Express on-line for about $20. The stock center channel on the ML system is 8ohms and 10ohms on the stock system. If I recall correctly, the stock center is approximately 2". The center grill comes off very easily by using a pick to credit card and prying up at the front inbetween the grill and dash.

No way would I spend about $200 on a $10 speaker when I can find something close or better for about $20.

ReLexing 03-07-13 04:40 PM

yoitsdre --- hey does your center speaker rattle? If so , it may not be blown. The glue around the cone might have just some aloose like a lot of ours have and make it sound blown. I used standard paper glue and its been on there for 2 years,no problems.

bigblack06 03-07-13 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by jamodeo (Post 7807850)
I thought that the ML system uses metal cones, that is one of the advantages over the stock paper cone system.

Also, wouldn't it be cheaper to just replace the one speaker with OEM than changing everything to aftermarket? Unless you really dislike the ML system, why change out the entire thing? just my .02

-Joe

I recall when I took it off it was a paper cone, I could be wrong but I think that's what I saw when I took it apart.

Simmsled 03-07-13 08:15 PM

Stock system FTW!!!

jamodeo 03-08-13 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by bigblack06 (Post 7808396)
I recall when I took it off it was a paper cone, I could be wrong but I think that's what I saw when I took it apart.

That's still better than my assumption then :) I haven't seen them taken out, or even outside the door, I was just assuming because of what I thought I read in the past :p I should know better than to assume :egads:

-Joe