GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

06 GS300 AWD transfer case fluid

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-13, 11:30 AM
BAR | F1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 GS300 AWD transfer case fluid

What type and quantity of fluid is required in the transfer case of an 06 GS300 AWD. So far as I understand, there are separate fill and drain locations for both the front and rear differential, which use SAE 90 or equivalent gear oil. It appears that the transmission might share fluid with the front differential but I've been told it has its own fill and drain port. The transfer case is separate from the transmission so obviously it doesn't share fluid. I'm preparing to do a 100k mile maintenance cycle and plan to post pictures when I'm finished. Major thanks to mmade22 for all his posts and pics.
Old 02-18-13, 04:43 PM
bklynchris
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd also like to know how to so this for my '09 GS350 AWD. I've changed out the gear oil for both the front and rear diff's, but the fluid in the transfer case has never been touched.

Can anyone shed some light?

Last edited by bklynchris; 02-18-13 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-27-14, 07:04 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bklynchris
I'd also like to know how to so this for my '09 GS350 AWD. I've changed out the gear oil for both the front and rear diff's, but the fluid in the transfer case has never been touched.

Can anyone shed some light?
I'm planning on having differential fluids done soon, but this keeps coming up... transfer case. Nowhere in the service schedule has it ever mentioned the transfer case that I'm aware of but it seems like it exists and needs it's own fluid? Can anybody confirm or deny?
Old 08-30-14, 07:07 AM
Asav
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I had this done at a Toyota dealership, and when i explained I wanted the diff fluid changed in my AWD, they charged me $125 total. The next thing my service guy said after i asked about the cost, was we will make sure we get the transfer case too. When I asked how much it would cost, he said we're going to do it along with both diffs at no extra cost so I'm convinced it is a need although i know nothing about it. There would be no reason for them to bring it up IMHO.
Old 08-30-14, 10:08 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Asav
I had this done at a Toyota dealership, and when i explained I wanted the diff fluid changed in my AWD, they charged me $125 total. The next thing my service guy said after i asked about the cost, was we will make sure we get the transfer case too. When I asked how much it would cost, he said we're going to do it along with both diffs at no extra cost so I'm convinced it is a need although i know nothing about it. There would be no reason for them to bring it up IMHO.
I'm not convinced. I just checked alldata for fluid specifications for the car and there is no listed fluid for a separate transfer case it only lists fluid types for transmission, front and rear differential. My guess is transfer case is part of transmission assembly and shares the same fluid.
Old 05-17-22, 07:23 AM
Jd78
9th Gear

Default Toyota type IV

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
I'm not convinced. I just checked alldata for fluid specifications for the car and there is no listed fluid for a separate transfer case it only lists fluid types for transmission, front and rear differential. My guess is transfer case is part of transmission assembly and shares the same fluid.
I believe you're correct on this. I recently did a little research on Toyota type IV automatic transmission fluid is a special fluid that Toyota makes specifically for it's all wheel drive systems because the transmission fluid has special additives for the transfer case gearing system.

Old 05-17-22, 08:59 AM
CruzinGS
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Jd78
I believe you're correct on this. I recently did a little research on Toyota type IV automatic transmission fluid is a special fluid that Toyota makes specifically for it's all wheel drive systems because the transmission fluid has special additives for the transfer case gearing system.
Yikes! NONE of the 3GS models (AWD or RWD, V6 or V8) take Toyota type IV fluid for anything. The transfer case in the AWD models is integrated into the transmission, and shares the transmission fluid. The only approved fluid for 3GS transmissions is the "World Standard" or WS fluid. Definitely read up on the correct drain, fill, and level setting procedure, since it isn't like an oil change, and the fluid level should be set with the fluid at a specific temperature range which is below the normal operating temperature. This means that the car will likely have to sit for 3-4 hours before having the fluid level set, if you have to drive it to a shop to get the work done. The front and rear differentials each have separate drain and fill ports and have their own fluid.
Old 05-17-22, 03:31 PM
Jd78
9th Gear

Default Reading material

Originally Posted by CruzinGS
Yikes! NONE of the 3GS models (AWD or RWD, V6 or V8) take Toyota type IV fluid for anything. The transfer case in the AWD models is integrated into the transmission, and shares the transmission fluid. The only approved fluid for 3GS transmissions is the "World Standard" or WS fluid. Definitely read up on the correct drain, fill, and level setting procedure, since it isn't like an oil change, and the fluid level should be set with the fluid at a specific temperature range which is below the normal operating temperature. This means that the car will likely have to sit for 3-4 hours before having the fluid level set, if you have to drive it to a shop to get the work done. The front and rear differentials each have separate drain and fill ports and have their own fluid.

I know how to service my own vehicle. When I read up about type 4 I decided to throw it in and it's shifting smoother than ever. I brought some reading material to share with the rest of the class. Download to view.

Last edited by Jd78; 05-17-22 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-23-22, 12:43 PM
CruzinGS
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

I know how to service my own vehicle.
That's great. Many folks do not know there is a specific filling procedure that requires the car to be level, on, and at a specific temperature. Some shops don't know that. Even having the fluid level "checked" by like a Quick-Lube shop is a bad idea and can result in an under-filled transmission.

When I read up about type 4 I decided to throw it in and it's shifting smoother than ever. I brought some reading material to share with the rest of the class. Download to view.
Just to be clear here, the fluid you are providing information on is a third party fluid that meets or exceeds Toyota T-IV specifications (the spec is JWS-3309, which is *NOT* WS fluid, spec JWS-3324). I'm glad you are having good luck with this in your own car, but it isn't something that has been widely tested nor is something that is approved by Toyota or Lexus or Aisin-Warner in the A760E/A760H/A761E/AA80E transmissions in 3GS vehicles. Looking at the internet, it appears that WS fluid is not rated as backwards-compatible with T-IV (or any other prior Toyots-spec ATF), and even Totachi makes a separate WS fluid that they advertise as NOT backwards compatible with T-IV:

https://totachi.com/wp-content/uploa...S_ATF-WS-1.pdf
Old 05-30-22, 10:00 AM
ServerTech
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Exclamation

Guys, I see an awful lot of confusion going on here! The GS350 AWD trans and transfer case are one unit. They share WS fluid (never use T4). Thats why the AWD trans has a much larger oil pan, twice as many magnets in the pan and bigger filter than the RWD cars.
And YES even so called Lexus techs are confused about this. smh

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...er-change.html