GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Dashboard Reflection on windshield

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-13, 12:39 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by C-SupraTT
I don't even know if it's legal in ANY state to tint the windshields and it sounds dangerous. Also there's 2 state stickers that we have to attach to the windshield here, so good luck using a razor blade to scrape them off every year
I did not suggest tinting the whole windshield, just a sun visor strip, that its usually tall strip that runs across the top of the windshield.

Old 05-13-13, 01:21 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^ You can see in my pic that the reflection is from the dash. The sun visor won't do anything in the dash area.
Old 05-13-13, 01:28 PM
Arantant
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by anewname
Put on some polarized sunglasses and you won't be able to see the reflections any more.
I second this!!! This improves it a ton!! The speaker grill basically disappears. A must in sunny Texas. I wear some $15 Foster Grant ones from Wal-Mart... Stylish, yet cheap enough that I can throw them around...
Old 05-13-13, 02:27 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by worker
^ You can see in my pic that the reflection is from the dash. The sun visor won't do anything in the dash area.

Why do you think a sun visor, won't do anything to help sun glare?

Sun shines from the top off the roof, a windshield is slanted, so even a small 4-5" strip will provide more covering the its size.
Old 05-14-13, 08:03 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ibidu1
Why do you think a sun visor, won't do anything to help sun glare?

Sun shines from the top off the roof, a windshield is slanted, so even a small 4-5" strip will provide more covering the its size.
Because this is not sun glare, this is a sun reflection. The sun light come from anywhere in the front hitting the dash and it reflect off of the windshield. Your fix, it the sun still hit the dash and reflect off of the windshield.

Thanks for trying though. I think the carpet idea is the best. I need to do some homework on it.
Old 05-14-13, 08:23 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

here is using polarized glass... it does help but you can see it's still very visible.

Old 05-14-13, 09:57 AM
MCCR
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed this to. I actually used armor all wipes which I never do because I don't like the shine/greasy fell/look. I did remove it, but I still get the reflection depending on which direction I'm driving. i was thinking for a dash pad, or sun visor strip. I don't always notice as I usally drive with sun glasses on, but I'll see how it is this afternoon.
Old 04-21-18, 01:34 PM
Just4Me
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I know this is old as dirt

I have the same glare in my 08 GS350... I happened to have a towel in the car when the reflection hit. it was very dangerous here in Atl with these idiot drivers. I put the towel on the dash and the glare vanished.. its not Armor All or any kind of dash cleaner. its the design of the dash board material... im going to get a carpet cover for my dash. its the best solution for that glare...Tinting the windshield wont help. as I have the same issue in my Olds Aurora and I tinted that cars windshield with 60% M3 crystalline. and it didnt help...
Old 04-21-18, 02:04 PM
MX73
Racer

Received 288 Likes on 223 Posts

Oh wow. Major bump from the dead. haha. I'm also having this issue. I thought it was from the aftermarket windshield but it sounds like it's also happening on the OEM windshield. It's really bad. I don't push any protectant on my dash because of this problem.
Old 04-22-18, 02:52 AM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

The glare is especially noticeable through my dashcam on sunny days. I’ve tried products to reduce the glossy finish with no success. Wish there was a product that would protect the dash while leaving it with a matte finish.
Old 04-22-18, 09:46 AM
gs350fan
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

#MeToo. What can you do :lol: I guess you can throw down some towel.
Old 04-22-18, 11:05 AM
Broncosi
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Just4Me
Tinting the windshield wont help.
I had my windshield tinted 35% at it takes 85-90% of the glare aware as well as the glare of headlights at night but it's not dark enough to impact visibility and it's (the tint) near impossible to notice unless you're specifically looking for it.
Old 04-23-18, 07:48 PM
SILENTM
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I put the suede dash mat on mine from covercraft, big difference and didn't look that bad imo
Old 04-24-18, 04:41 AM
Broncosi
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Sun glare:
Originally Posted by StayStanky
Certain times of the day I can barley see out the wind shield.
Tint option:
Originally Posted by C-SupraTT
I don't even know if it's legal in ANY state to tint the windshields and it sounds dangerous.
I'm happy with a very light layer of tint that does not negatively impact visibility but resolves the issue. I would rather go this route than the much more dangerous option of being randomly/completely blinded while driving . As I said, no one can even tell it's there (including yearly inspections) but the glare is gone. Majority of states did away with registration/inspection stickers on windshields a while ago.
Old 04-24-18, 07:23 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 288 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Broncosi

I'm happy with a very light layer of tint that does not negatively impact visibility but resolves the issue. I would rather go this route than the much more dangerous option of being randomly/completely blinded while driving . As I said, no one can even tell it's there (including yearly inspections) but the glare is gone. Majority of states did away with registration/inspection stickers on windshields a while ago.
I was researching on a polarized window film for the front windshield. It's pretty much the same concept as a polarized sunglasses. Someone on the M45 forums has it on their windshield and pointed out that the MB S-class has the polarizing windshield glass for that same reason. It gives off a light blue hue but it's clear from inside the car. http://forums.nicoclub.com/finally-h...t-t615133.html

I'm going to find a place in Dallas that has the polarized film and give it a try.

Quick Reply: Dashboard Reflection on windshield