GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Resurface or new front rotors when installing new pads?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-13, 08:34 AM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Resurface or new front rotors when installing new pads?

Hey guys. My car is at the dealership this morning for an oil change. They told me the front pads are at 3/32nds and need to be replaced. They also told me that I will need to get new rotors because the old ones cannot be resurfaced. It was explained to me that the GS's have soft rotors and a fairly deep groove develops in them during normal operation such that they have to be replaced every time you change the pads.

Is this correct?

e
Old 02-06-13, 08:40 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by e-man
Hey guys. My car is at the dealership this morning for an oil change. They told me the front pads are at 3/32nds and need to be replaced. They also told me that I will need to get new rotors because the old ones cannot be resurfaced. It was explained to me that the GS's have soft rotors and a fairly deep groove develops in them during normal operation such that they have to be replaced every time you change the pads.

Is this correct?

e
no that is not true. i cant find the post but someone posted a while ago about what thickness the rotor needs to be before you need new rotors. you can certainly resurface them.

yes the do develop a larger groove but it can still be resurfaced. no need to change them at every pad change.
Old 02-06-13, 10:19 AM
AudioBob
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the above post. I check them to make sure that they are within spec and only resurface them if I am getting vibration or pulsating. I replaced my pads 2 months ago and they did not have a large groove, but it was the first replacement set of pads on my rotors. With brakes, everyone will have their opinion on certain things, but in the end they mark up the parts, labor and etc...and that is how they make money.

The last time my wife had her brakes done they totally ripped her off so I just do them myself from now on. I just put on some music and take my time and if it needs replaced, I replace it.
Old 02-06-13, 11:45 AM
e-man
Pole Position

Thanks for the replies guys.

I am the second owner and purchased the car CPO about a year ago at 50,000 miles (it's an 06 GS430). The pads had 5/32nds at the time, so they did not replace them as part of the certification process. The car now has 65,000 miles on it. All service on the car has been done at the dealership (both by me and the previous owner). I reviewed the service history before buying the car, and again today at the dealership with my service advisor, and there is no record that the pads have ever been replaced. Is that possible -- 65,000 miles on the original set of pads? I've driven the car for the past 15,000 miles, and 95% of my miles are highway miles and I am VERY easy on the brakes. If this is true, might that explain why the rotors need to be replaced?

e
Old 02-06-13, 01:53 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

The dealership has to go by manufacturer thickness thats usually stamped on the rotors. They could get sued for a fault if something were to happen with the brakes.

You may find a shop that will turn them. But personally I would just scuff up the rotors and throw the new pads on. Unless you do not have major gouges then yes I would turn them.
Old 02-06-13, 05:56 PM
e-man
Pole Position

I'm afraid to ask the question, but I have to. What is a reasonable Lexus dealer price for new front pads and rotors with installation? Keep in mind, my question is "reasonable Lexus dealer" price, which is a bit of an oxymoron I know, but it is what it is.
Old 02-06-13, 06:07 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm afraid to ask the question, but I have to. What is a reasonable Lexus dealer price for new front pads and rotors with installation? Keep in mind, my question is "reasonable Lexus dealer" price, which is a bit of an oxymoron I know, but it is what it is.
Rotors: $320
Pads + Shims: $100
Labor: 1 1/2 hrs (if reasonable): $200
So about $600+.
Old 02-06-13, 06:11 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chuckGS350
Rotors: $320
Pads + Shims: $100
Labor: 1 1/2 hrs (if reasonable): $200
So about $600+.
Thanks Chuck. They quoted me $700, so while that's well above your estimate, at least they're in the general ballpark.

e
Old 02-06-13, 06:14 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Chuck. They quoted me $700, so while that's well above your estimate, at least they're in the general ballpark.

e
Their quote probably included taxes + disposal fee.
ALso check if their Web site has any coupon for brake service.
Usually a $50 coupon.

Last edited by chuckGS350; 02-06-13 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-06-13, 06:27 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Thats a lot! I would check with toyota see if they can do it for less.

But why not just buy a set of rotors from sewell and pads, and take it to any mechanic shop to have them installed? There nothing special the lexus dealer will do, other then document it on mylexus
Old 02-06-13, 06:52 PM
ingoodtime
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ibidu1
Thats a lot! I would check with toyota see if they can do it for less.

But why not just buy a set of rotors from sewell and pads, and take it to any mechanic shop to have them installed? There nothing special the lexus dealer will do, other then document it on mylexus

And, we can add the documentation ourselves if I remember correctly?
Old 02-06-13, 07:04 PM
texbanc
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should get 50 to 60 k on your pads and not have to change rotors. I just sold my 01 GS 430 with 170k on it. Never had the rotors replaced.

good luck

tex
Old 02-06-13, 09:55 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by texbanc
You should get 50 to 60 k on your pads and not have to change rotors. I just sold my 01 GS 430 with 170k on it. Never had the rotors replaced.

good luck

tex
I had a 99 GS400 that I drove from 65k miles to 175k miles and never changed the rotors. However, the dealer is telling me that the rotors used on the 3GS are different/softer than the rotors used on the 2GS amd develop a groove, which is why they need to be replaced.

So is it possible that at 65k miles the car still had the original front pads and rotors (assuming that most of the miles on the car are highway miles)? I'm thinking that it's possible, and maybe even likely. Thoughts?
Old 02-07-13, 03:35 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

e
yea they charge a lot. i remember a few years ago i was going to buy new rotors until i found out they were like $180 a rotor. the pads are ridiculous too at like $90.

its easy to do yourself if you want to save some money. if you sign up with sewell, you can get a club lexus discount. you could easily save about 60%-70% if you did it yourself.
Old 02-07-13, 03:56 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

On my GS with 115K miles all I did was scuff up the rotors really good with sand paper and put in top of the line (Prostop Ceramic) pep boys pads. It includes backing plate and all. Total cost 50 bucks and only took me 2 hours if that. It is very easy to do. My car actually brakes better with the pep boy pads then the oem

I would save your money and diy

Quick Reply: Resurface or new front rotors when installing new pads?