GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Front end noise while driving?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-12, 10:22 AM
uncandid
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front end noise while driving?

Anyone have a noise coming from the front tire, kind of sounds like the tire has a high spot or something. You can't feel andything but you can just hear like a whoomp noise like one part of the tire has a sticky spot it keeps going over. Hope that makes sense. Is it the tire that needs to be replaced because of the uneven wear thats causing this noise or suspension? Anyone experience something like this? Thanks
Old 07-09-12, 10:37 AM
Roe
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem/sounds/issues a couple of months back and after 3 sets of tires, we concluded the problem was my hub assembly had gone bad.

Is the noise louder or almost completely goes away when you turn the steering wheel 1 way or another?
Old 07-09-12, 11:06 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Roe
I had the same problem/sounds/issues a couple of months back and after 3 sets of tires, we concluded the problem was my hub assembly had gone bad.

Is the noise louder or almost completely goes away when you turn the steering wheel 1 way or another?
I agree. Is it a constant roaring noise that gets louder as you go faster?
Old 07-09-12, 11:12 AM
uncandid
Driver

It doesn't get louder as I drive faster. I remember on a honda I had a few years ago, I had a bad hub bearing that was causing it and it wold get louder as I drove faster, but this is like a constant "whomp, whomp, whomp" sound that isn't really a roar like I had with the bad bearing but more of like the sound you have when you are driving on a almost flat tire but not as loud.

Sorry for the poor explanation but its the best way I can explain it. Thanks guys.
Old 07-09-12, 12:21 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

but the "whomp, whomp, whomp" noise should increase (ie happen quicker) as the speed increase and as you slow down, the noise slows down correct?

if so i would say its the tires. I had the same thing with the tires on my 20s. they sucked and made the same noise but when i put my stocks back on, it wasnt there. try getting the tires re-balanced (possibly road force) and see if that fixes your problem.
Old 07-09-12, 12:25 PM
mr nut
Pole Position

It could also be the tires. Sometimes if the tires are cheap or old, they are very hard. Causing a lot of road noise.
Old 07-09-12, 08:23 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

My struts went bad a few months back, 3/4 struts were replaced because it caused chopping on the tires. If you DO indeed have tires chopping (google images is your best friend for determination). Slap the beast in the nearest dealership and get it fixed if you're under warranty. If not i'd opt for aftermarket struts

P.S. I forgot to add, the car makes almost no damn difference whether or not you have good or blown struts, the car still rode amazing for me. The only true reason I brought it back to Lexus was because my local tire shop told me my struts sound like they're blown because the tires were chopping.
Old 07-09-12, 09:44 PM
uncandid
Driver

Yeah the sound does get faster as I increase speed. Sounds like new tires, finally get to try the quiet conti DWS's. I'll check my suspension for leaks at the same time. Thanks guys
Old 07-10-12, 03:11 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

just because a suspension isnt leaking, doesnt mean its not blown though.
Old 07-10-12, 06:49 AM
PeteinPA
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Had a similar issue, sounded like a metal to metal rubbing on the right front wheel. My local guy thought is was the wheel hub. Took it to lexus, they could not diagnose it. It eventually went away on it's own. Weird...
Old 07-10-12, 07:02 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteinPA
Had a similar issue, sounded like a metal to metal rubbing on the right front wheel. My local guy thought is was the wheel hub. Took it to lexus, they could not diagnose it. It eventually went away on it's own. Weird...
this is what I was suggesting above. I would have said hub as I've seen others go bad.
Old 07-10-12, 10:06 AM
uncandid
Driver

Mine doesn't sound like metal on metal, more like a contstant "whoosh" or "whomp".

If the struts aren't leaking, any easy way to know if the suspension is gone? The ride isn't bouncy or anything, but like XxGoKoUxX said, it still drives smooth either way.
Old 07-10-12, 08:59 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

are you still under warranty? I was under CPO and it was covered (thank god, the bill was $1500 or $2500 for 3 struts). Have them check up on it if you are. Otherwise I really have no other way of proving it..... ride still darn close to the same when they were blown to me hahaha.... maybe hit a pothole or two and you'll feel it a bit more than usual, but that's about it!

By the way, I use to get that metal to metal contact noise before, it was actually my brake pads stuck in place. my caliper pistons were stuck in the "press down" position and I drove like it for a day.... It was on a whole nother car though (acura legend). Man the experiences I've gone through in that old hoopty.
Old 09-01-14, 01:38 PM
mikerob410
Driver School Candidate

Iam having the same issue did new tires solve the problem
Old 09-01-14, 02:11 PM
mikerob410
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by uncandid
Anyone have a noise coming from the front tire, kind of sounds like the tire has a high spot or something. You can't feel andything but you can just hear like a whoomp noise like one part of the tire has a sticky spot it keeps going over. Hope that makes sense. Is it the tire that needs to be replaced because of the uneven wear thats causing this noise or suspension? Anyone experience something like this? Thanks
After you got new tires did this noise go away

Quick Reply: Front end noise while driving?