GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Change interior trim- Is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-12, 07:56 AM
Fation
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Change interior trim- Is it possible?

The interior trim on my car is just like the picture on top.
I would like to change the interior trim(only) to that black trim on the bottom picture. Is there a way to do this to both the steering wheel or get rid of the trim on the steering wheel for just leather?
-How much would this all cost and is it possible? Every single trim of wood I would like to turne it into that black wood trim like in the picture. (door, center council, steering wheel)
Attached Thumbnails Change interior trim- Is it possible?-esb6wwcge-kgrhgookkiejllmukorbjt89pr4-w-_4.jpg   Change interior trim- Is it possible?-08-02-01-lexus-gs-passionate-black-interior-1.jpg  
Old 06-06-12, 10:03 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

it would be cheaper to paint it. it would probably run you over $1k easily for the trim from lexus
Old 06-06-12, 12:26 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interior wood trim (black bird's eye maple) will set you back $1740 for just the centre console pieces (main part, cupholder cover, and ashtray cover).
Door trim is not showing on Sewell's prices online, but the complete rear door trim inc switches and speakers, is $2250 per side!
You'd need to find a salvage GS with these parts, to get them at anyway close to realistic prices.

Regarding the leather, a really good interior trim person/company would be able to do that, but bear in mind there's red below the perforated black leather seats, so it'd be pricey enough by the time that's removed and put back in place, with the necessary piping in red too.
The part either side of the centre console would be easiest to do.
The steering wheel would need trimmed in leather with the red stitching - somewhat possibly easier to do if you swapped for the standard GS wheel UK/EU cars have on the 300/450h. The 430 (and 460?) only came in the one trim level, which included that wheel and adaptive cruise radar, along with ML/spoiler/18's/sunroof.

Would be a nice project, but if you're going to that trouble/expense, why copy when you could go fully custom for something entirely individual/unique?
Old 06-06-12, 12:56 PM
Fation
Driver

I'd rather do plasti dip or something on them if i change them at all then. Thats crazy prices just for the trim. Not worth it. I can buy another car for that money lol
Old 06-06-12, 12:57 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

dont plastidip your interior. get it professionally done at a body shop if you want. should couldnt more than probably $1k at most
Old 06-06-12, 01:05 PM
M K S
Lead Lap

You could even have it wrapped in vinyl. I've seen some done in carbon fiber vinyl that came out really nice.
Old 06-06-12, 01:21 PM
Fation
Driver

Originally Posted by M K S
You could even have it wrapped in vinyl. I've seen some done in carbon fiber vinyl that came out really nice.
That sounds good. Ill look into that. Maybe Ill even leave it as is
Old 06-06-12, 01:46 PM
M K S
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Fation
That sounds good. Ill look into that. Maybe Ill even leave it as is
If it were me, I'd either leave it as is, or get it wrapped. I've seen some people who painted it themselves and it came out really cheap looking.
Old 06-06-12, 01:55 PM
Fation
Driver

If it were me, I'd either leave it as is, or get it wrapped. I've seen some people who painted it themselves and it came out really cheap looking.
It looks good as is. Ill most likely leave it that way.
Old 06-06-12, 03:17 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

Carbon Fibre a la 3M Dinoc has been done to death.
If you're doing Carbon, do it somewhat right by getting the real thing laid over the actual part.
Obviously a bit more permanent than the Dinoc, but it'll at least look proper since it's the real deal.
Dinoc and a host of other vinyls all look fine from a distance, but up close and personal, touchy-feely - forget it, it just looks cheap and tacky, especially on a car of the GS' ilk.

In direct answer to the OP's thread title, yes anything is possible if you've the money.
Is it possible to do it for a sensible amount? Probably not.
In keeping with the status the GS portrays, it's likely to cost a fair whack if it's not to look like it was done on the cheap.

As a complete guess, I'd say you could have a reasonably bespoke interior for $3-4K, but to see if I'm way off, you'd need to check out a few cars that have had trim work done (tastefully!) and ask what it cost.
Old 06-06-12, 03:46 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Isn't that the passionate black interior?
Old 06-06-12, 05:18 PM
3GS404
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Isn't that the passionate black interior?
It is bro.gotta lv that interior
Old 06-06-12, 05:40 PM
Fation
Driver

Originally Posted by Boron
If you're doing Carbon, do it somewhat right by getting the real thing laid over the actual part.
Obviously a bit more permanent than the Dinoc, but it'll at least look proper since it's the real deal.
Dinoc and a host of other vinyls all look fine from a distance, but up close and personal, touchy-feely - forget it, it just looks cheap and tacky, especially on a car of the GS' ilk.

In direct answer to the OP's thread title, yes anything is possible if you've the money.
Is it possible to do it for a sensible amount? Probably not.
In keeping with the status the GS portrays, it's likely to cost a fair whack if it's not to look like it was done on the cheap.

As a complete guess, I'd say you could have a reasonably bespoke interior for $3-4K, but to see if I'm way off, you'd need to check out a few cars that have had trim work done (tastefully!) and ask what it cost.
Thanks for your response. You make great points and I couldn't agree with you more. Ill probably end up leaving the car the same. I know there is darker wood look (which is what i was looking for). The one in the pic seems to be expensive and not worth it for the big amount of money you are paying.
Old 06-07-12, 03:53 AM
Boron
Lead Lap

The one in the picture was a standard no-cost option, presumably, if the US was like the UK/EU.
It was mated to the grey leather - the black came with reddish brown, and the beige/cream/tan was fitted with a mid brown.
IMO, only the black bird's eye maple looked the part - the other two looked cheap and a bit of an afterthought.
From that point of view, I can see why you'd be interested in changing it.

They're expensive because of the low volume production run, and quality, not the colour.
It doesn't matter if it's that black bird's eye maple or the reddish brown in yours, if you needed to replace the centre console pieces for some reason, that's the amount you'd have to dish out from a Lexus dealer.

So it goes without saying, take good care of them pieces, they ain't cheap to replace!
I've seen a few of these cars, in my quest to getting mine (soon!), and the cupholder cover has been broken on two, which is included with the cupholder part, at a cost of $560!

The original figure of $1750 I posted originally, is just the cupholder and main piece, not the chrome gear-lever gate, nor the ashtray assembly - so it's even more expensive than first thought!
Old 06-07-12, 03:59 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Boron
agreed 1000%

Quick Reply: Change interior trim- Is it possible?