GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
Old 12-15-14, 03:31 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Engine and Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

engine mods on the GS430?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-12, 05:16 AM
tucker21
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default engine mods on the GS430?

so i'm mostly satisfied with the power on my 06 GS430 but i have a proclivity towards wanting to increase my HP and torque esp low end as time goes on and was wondering what my best options are for the V8 engine?

obv exhaust system is the first step but for more substantial gains what have people done that won't decrease the reliability of the engine?

i already have 80K miles on the car and don't want to do anything to sacrifice the longevity of the car so keep that in mind when making suggestions.

also is there a consensus on the best exhaust system for the 430? don't want something super obnoxiously loud, just a nice throaty growl and nice looking tips.

thanks!
Old 05-22-12, 05:46 AM
AustinSBP
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tucker21
so i'm mostly satisfied with the power on my 06 GS430 but i have a proclivity towards wanting to increase my HP and torque esp low end as time goes on and was wondering what my best options are for the V8 engine?

obv exhaust system is the first step but for more substantial gains what have people done that won't decrease the reliability of the engine?

i already have 80K miles on the car and don't want to do anything to sacrifice the longevity of the car so keep that in mind when making suggestions.

also is there a consensus on the best exhaust system for the 430? don't want something super obnoxiously loud, just a nice throaty growl and nice looking tips.

thanks!
so far in my research it seems custom tuning is the best way to go since the car is restricted not to burn anymore gas than it already does, i wouldnt recommend doing that until the intake and exhaust systems are complete that way you'll have less airflow restriction.
Im also going to try to come up with a custom intake piping system for my car so i can pull in air from my lower grill area. ill tune my car after my warranty expires
Old 05-22-12, 05:48 AM
AustinSBP
Intermediate

also the blitz throttle controller is a good mod that i plan on trying. it wont increase HP but it will DEFINITELY feel like it because it will make your car pull in air instantly rather that at a set ratio
Old 05-22-12, 06:00 AM
tucker21
Pole Position

sweet ty!

for the blitz throttle controller does that also need to come after the exhaust and intake system?

also any suggestions for which exhaust and intake to go with?

and do you think any of them will reduce the reliability of the engine?

cheers.
Old 05-22-12, 06:11 AM
AustinSBP
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tucker21
sweet ty!

for the blitz throttle controller does that also need to come after the exhaust and intake system?

also any suggestions for which exhaust and intake to go with?

and do you think any of them will reduce the reliability of the engine?

cheers.
1.) blitz can come now.

2.) im gonna use a k&N filter on the end of some custom piping

3.) it will only take more strain off of the engine. but more air + fuel = bigger explosion so it will burn your spark plugs a little faster after you tune it
Old 05-22-12, 06:21 AM
AustinSBP
Intermediate

ohh yeah, when i said tune.. im referring to the electronic programming of the car
Old 05-22-12, 06:27 AM
M K S
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't worry too much about intake / exhaust mods effecting the longevity of the engine. On the 430 if you add simply an intake, you don't have to worry about the car going too lean and causing potential tuning issues as you may experrience in certain turbo cars. Then again, so many factors go into that.

I'd start with a good exhaust and intake.
Old 05-22-12, 10:05 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

you guys might want to read up on the engine's specs before you start adding more power to it. The engine itself is pretty bulletproof, but it's not made to withstand a lot of power. You'll need to invest in connecting rods before modifying the 3uz-fe engine. Look on any reputable site that builds these engines. Their weakpoints are the connecting rods. 1uz (i believe the 4.0L v8 engine) has stronger connecting rods than our cars, so power mods are more ideal for it.
Old 05-23-12, 04:07 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 283 Posts

You will not be able to increase power on your 3GS. Anything you do will be so marginal, you will start kidding yourself about your car "feeling quicker".

You can add the exhaust and intake all you want, the fact remains... when a stock GS430 pulls next to you, you won't shake him off, I guarantee you!

Only two ways to increase power on any NA (Naturally Aspirated) car.

1. Exhaust Manifolds ( Headers )
2. ECU Tune
Old 07-30-12, 12:42 PM
AustinSBP
Intermediate

ok i was doing some research and i found an earlier post in the SC forum:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...th-buster.html

so it looks like if i can get colder air to the engine i can get somewhat significant results in HP. anyone ever thought about custom piping into the bumper?
Old 08-08-12, 08:42 PM
AustinSBP
Intermediate

http://ttcperformanceproducts.com/ttcpe1twtuki.html
http://ttcperformanceproducts.com/58l3uzfe.html

lol ...this is a little too serious

Last edited by AustinSBP; 08-08-12 at 08:51 PM.
Old 08-08-12, 08:59 PM
AustinSBP
Intermediate

http://www.lextreme.com/rods.html

better rods
Old 08-08-12, 09:35 PM
ILowNslowI
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im gonna have to say go trade the 430 in for an ISF if you want more power. I bought my 430 for the comfort factor but do love having a V8 & as a previous ISF owner...that car was a beast & just raw power! Not nearly as comfortable as the GS(ride, comfort, interior noise, etc) & granite I did have exhaust on the ISF hence the noise but to dump money into making a gs430 'fast' doesn't seem like you made the right choice in vehicle. The GS is not going to pin you in your seat, rip some pavement, unleash a new animal over 4k rpm's as the DOHC motor really kicks in & scratch 2nd gear with an auto trans using a freaking paddle shifter!!!

I consider my GS430 to have power & on the other hand I considered my ISF to be fast...theres a difference.
Old 08-08-12, 10:38 PM
Whitena
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Blower with a lil boost, like 5-6lbs.
Saw a for sale thread on a full kit blower for sale a while back, good luck.
Old 08-09-12, 02:15 AM
tucker21
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ILowNslowI
Im gonna have to say go trade the 430 in for an ISF if you want more power. I bought my 430 for the comfort factor but do love having a V8 & as a previous ISF owner...that car was a beast & just raw power! Not nearly as comfortable as the GS(ride, comfort, interior noise, etc) & granite I did have exhaust on the ISF hence the noise but to dump money into making a gs430 'fast' doesn't seem like you made the right choice in vehicle. The GS is not going to pin you in your seat, rip some pavement, unleash a new animal over 4k rpm's as the DOHC motor really kicks in & scratch 2nd gear with an auto trans using a freaking paddle shifter!!!

I consider my GS430 to have power & on the other hand I considered my ISF to be fast...theres a difference.
i really don't understand this mentality at all.
obv my priority is comfort which is why i got the GS however there is no reason you can't spruce it up a little.

i'm not trying to turn it into a race car or an ISF however if there are things i can do easily and without jeopardizing the reliability of the engine that will increase the performance why on earth should i not do it because the GS is in the luxury rather then the performance category?

Quick Reply: engine mods on the GS430?