GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Is Smoky Granite Mica that hard to paint? (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-12, 04:45 PM
lexus55555
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile I have the same issue as saefongc90 Smoky Granite mica paint mismatch

I recently bought a used Lexus IS 250 2007, and two weeks ago someone decided to hit my car and run leaving my passenger side door dented and scratched, and also the fender was damaged. I took the car into a lexus certified body shop, my paint does not seem to match very well, I am in Toronto, do you guys have any suggestion as to where I can find the perfect paint for paint code 01G0 - Smoky Granite Mica.

Thanks a lot in advance folks...
Old 05-24-12, 05:11 PM
saefongc90
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexus55555
I recently bought a used Lexus IS 250 2007, and two weeks ago someone decided to hit my car and run leaving my passenger side door dented and scratched, and also the fender was damaged. I took the car into a lexus certified body shop, my paint does not seem to match very well, I am in Toronto, do you guys have any suggestion as to where I can find the perfect paint for paint code 01G0 - Smoky Granite Mica.

Thanks a lot in advance folks...
Seems like its a little difficult to make the paint match I talked to my friend who does body work and he told me that it is because of the pearl effect the car has that is why it is hard to blend the exact same color. My advise to you would be to yelp around body shops in your area and see who has the best review go in talk to the owner explain to them you want the paint to match of coarse its near impossible for it to be a exact match but a good shop will make it match very close I would say 95% match.

But on another note I just got my car back today from the shop and am very pleased with the results the paint was almost a exact match you cant even tell the difference. The shop owner told me it took him a couple tries to make my paint and the one I bought that was scaled at a 6 out of 50 was no good and showed me it was actually too blue so good thing he didn't use it. I will post pics of the paint job on Saturday after I wash the car good luck on finding a shop for your car sorry to hear about the hit & run I feel your pain since it happened to me too.
Old 05-24-12, 05:20 PM
lexus55555
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by saefongc90
Seems like its a little difficult to make the paint match I talked to my friend who does body work and he told me that it is because of the pearl effect the car has that is why it is hard to blend the exact same color. My advise to you would be to yelp around body shops in your area and see who has the best review go in talk to the owner explain to them you want the paint to match of coarse its near impossible for it to be a exact match but a good shop will make it match very close I would say 95% match.

But on another note I just got my car back today from the shop and am very pleased with the results the paint was almost a exact match you cant even tell the difference. The shop owner told me it took him a couple tries to make my paint and the one I bought that was scaled at a 6 out of 50 was no good and showed me it was actually too blue so good thing he didn't use it. I will post pics of the paint job on Saturday after I wash the car good luck on finding a shop for your car sorry to hear about the hit & run I feel your pain since it happened to me too.
Ohh thats good to hear that you finally were able to find a place that did the job right to your expectation, do you know by any chance what paint brand was used to match the original paint and how much did it cost you to get it painted from a different shop and did I have the entire right side and the hood to be painted.......Thanks for the info bud....
Old 05-24-12, 05:23 PM
saefongc90
Rookie

Ohh thats good to hear that you finally were able to find a place that did the job right to your expectation, do you know by any chance what paint brand was used to match the original paint and how much did it cost you to get it painted from a different shop and did I have the entire right side and the hood to be painted.......Thanks for the info bud....
No same shop did the work it was there third and final try the shop owner personally did the work and blended the paint. They re painted everywhere that they originally painted which had originally messed up my paint job. They used PPB paint which is what most shops use I here that Sandox is a better european paint but it costs more then PPB. When I paid for the paint it was for PPB and it was 65 for a pint which is what I am guessing the shops discount price.
Old 05-24-12, 05:42 PM
lexus55555
Driver School Candidate

I was just looking at the original pics you had posted, so you had ur entire hood, right fender, bumper and the right passenger door painted, that difference is very obvious.....well the shop that did my work, the car is fully detailed and ready tomorrow for pickup, but I wanted see the progress and I dropped in to see my gar and thats when I thought the car had a different colour, the guy was gonna buff the paint and wax it, so his excuse was that afte the paint gets buff the paint will match.....I dunno if its really gonna or not....and they are using Dupont brand of paints
Old 05-24-12, 06:11 PM
saefongc90
Rookie

I was just looking at the original pics you had posted, so you had ur entire hood, right fender, bumper and the right passenger door painted, that difference is very obvious.....well the shop that did my work, the car is fully detailed and ready tomorrow for pickup, but I wanted see the progress and I dropped in to see my gar and thats when I thought the car had a different colour, the guy was gonna buff the paint and wax it, so his excuse was that afte the paint gets buff the paint will match.....I dunno if its really gonna or not....and they are using Dupont brand of paints
Ive never heard of that brand, but if the paint is already looking like it does not match then even when they buff it and wax it still will not look the same my best advise would be have them pull the car in the sun and if you see a big difference call it out but say it in a nice tone. The shop will most likely if they are a good shop re do the work until you are satisfied. Take some pics and post it up if you can too,
Old 05-24-12, 06:31 PM
lexus55555
Driver School Candidate

Hey thanks a lot for all your help and advice, I am going to have them pull my car in the sun while I pick it up tomorrow, as u mentioned. I really hope that the colour is all good, I will try and get some snaps tomorrow, will keep you posted....
Old 05-24-12, 11:51 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
my friends shop use to hate when i dropped my car off for paint work
My paint guy hates me period hahaha.... I bring the car back every 3-4 months for something new or a new mistake i've made!

He always gives me this "aww man, what did u do now" look hahahaha
Old 05-25-12, 01:04 PM
saefongc90
Rookie

So I got my GS back and just washed and detailed my car in the morning here are the pics of the new paint job.
Attached Thumbnails Is Smoky Granite Mica that hard to paint? (Pics)-photo-1.jpg   Is Smoky Granite Mica that hard to paint? (Pics)-photo-2.jpg   Is Smoky Granite Mica that hard to paint? (Pics)-photo-4.jpg   Is Smoky Granite Mica that hard to paint? (Pics)-photo-5.jpg   Is Smoky Granite Mica that hard to paint? (Pics)-photo-3.jpg  

Old 05-25-12, 01:40 PM
XxGoKoUxX

looks great! It blended well now?
Old 05-25-12, 01:47 PM
saefongc90
Rookie

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
looks great! It blended well now?
Yeah very well was super happy when I saw it.
Old 05-25-12, 04:23 PM
lexus55555
Driver School Candidate

Hey Guys got back my car< the right passenger door and fender were replaced new and the and painted.....I was happy with the job...., I had initially seen the car when it was freshly painted and being buffed so it looked a bit different but now its pretty well blended
Attached Thumbnails Is Smoky Granite Mica that hard to paint? (Pics)-img_1629.jpg   Is Smoky Granite Mica that hard to paint? (Pics)-img_1631.jpg   Is Smoky Granite Mica that hard to paint? (Pics)-img_1637.jpg   Is Smoky Granite Mica that hard to paint? (Pics)-img_1638.jpg   Is Smoky Granite Mica that hard to paint? (Pics)-img_1639.jpg  

Last edited by lexus55555; 05-25-12 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-25-12, 04:41 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Glad everything panned out well for the both of you! I told you that color is not hard to blend at all..... Those shops are probably telling you that because they were trying to stall for extra time lol.... Some people really get ungruntled when something doesn't get finished on-time.

P.S. NEVER rush a paint shop, they're keeping your car! >=(