GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Is Smoky Granite Mica that hard to paint? (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-12, 01:26 AM
saefongc90
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Smoky Granite Mica that hard to paint? (Pics)

So basically I got my GS350 about a month ago Smoky Granite Mica 3 weeks into owning the car someone backs into my car in a parking lot and runs away FML! So I say no big deal that's why I have insurance problems is the shop repairing my car is having problems matching my paint tomorrow will be there third attempt and if they cant match it they will give me a refund for all paint materials and paint labor. Now problem is saying if they don't match the paint I have gotten another estimate from a different shop and they are telling me it will cost $1500 to fix the paint and the shop is claiming they can only refund up to about $800-900 any advice on this? Is smoky granite mica really that hard to paint? Also they had blended the hook which had no damage at all and my side rail also the door had minor damage but I feel that the paint they did was extended too far to areas not effected any advice people? Photos of the accident and the repairs are also shown.
Attached Thumbnails Is Smoky Granite Mica that hard to paint? (Pics)-photo.jpg   Is Smoky Granite Mica that hard to paint? (Pics)-photo-1.jpg   Is Smoky Granite Mica that hard to paint? (Pics)-photo-2.jpg   Is Smoky Granite Mica that hard to paint? (Pics)-photo-3.jpg   Is Smoky Granite Mica that hard to paint? (Pics)-photo-5.jpg  

Old 05-22-12, 01:34 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Did you tell the second shop that the first shop has failed to paint your car because the color's so hard to paint?

I will tell you right now, no color is as hard to blend as glacier frost mica (due to the flourescence of the clear), smokey granite and silver are both extremely easy colors to paint, some shops just don't have the tools to blend well and the colors don't turn out right. Take it to another shop and make sure NOT to mention it's an insurance job and also note and make sure you DONT mention another shop's tried to paint ur fender. You'll get ripped off being honest, trust me as i've been in and out of paint shops and had close friends who worked at them.
Old 05-22-12, 01:47 AM
saefongc90
Rookie

Thanks we will see after there third attempt if I am going to have to find a new shop.
Old 05-22-12, 01:56 AM
XxGoKoUxX

most definitely! Just remember my tip, don't mention ANYTHING. If you want to admit anything, just admit you tried backyard paintjob LOL.... that way they're like mehh... this kid's not soo dumb, can't rip him off lol
Old 05-22-12, 09:19 AM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Just a suggestion - why not ask your Lexus dealership where they have their bodywork done.
Old 05-22-12, 12:29 PM
patricksr5
Pole Position

I see you are in CA, if N.CA I just had mine painted at Car West Autobody in Dublin CA. They did a great job.
Old 05-22-12, 12:34 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
I will tell you right now, no color is as hard to blend as glacier frost mica (due to the flourescence of the clear)
or aurora white pearl!
Old 05-22-12, 02:08 PM
saefongc90
Rookie

Thanks for the replies guys I went to a couple shops today and ended up paying a auto color shop that used a special camera to check my old fender. They blended the color for me and told me out of a 1-50 scale 1 being the best 50 the worst they got it to match to a 6 which is pretty good, so hopefully well see how the paint job looks like after 3 days.
Old 05-22-12, 09:42 PM
ferrerski
Rookie

Originally Posted by saefongc90
Thanks for the replies guys I went to a couple shops today and ended up paying a auto color shop that used a special camera to check my old fender. They blended the color for me and told me out of a 1-50 scale 1 being the best 50 the worst they got it to match to a 6 which is pretty good, so hopefully well see how the paint job looks like after 3 days.
Where is this at?

Someone just nicked my door while parked in the street in Oakland - I have a flint mica 450
Old 05-23-12, 12:05 AM
saefongc90
Rookie

You mean the shop where I got the paint made for me?
Old 05-23-12, 12:31 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Originally Posted by Stormforge
or aurora white pearl!
Yes, that also!.... You know what they do in these cases right? Someone sent their G35 from up north down to FL (i believe NC or NY) just to get it painted down here lamborghini yellow w/ the glacier frost mica clear.

To blend the pearl, you have to blend it towards the other panels, so it's less noticable, hard to do and usually they prefer to repaint the whole car lol.
Old 05-23-12, 05:23 AM
ferrerski
Rookie

Originally Posted by saefongc90
You mean the shop where I got the paint made for me?
Yeah, do they do body work too?
Old 05-23-12, 08:22 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
I will tell you right now, no color is as hard to blend as glacier frost mica
my friends shop use to hate when i dropped my car off for paint work
Old 05-23-12, 09:43 AM
saefongc90
Rookie

Originally Posted by ferrerski
Yeah, do they do body work too?
No they just make the colors for the shops to paint with. If you want to go to a shop that does excellent work I would highly recommend Bay Auto Center next to the 23rd ave exit next to 880 freeway I here they are one of the best shops, and they only use sandox paint which is a european based paint not like PPB paint.
Old 05-23-12, 07:11 PM
benbuilt4u
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have GFM didn't even try a blend I just painted the whole car.

Quick Reply: Is Smoky Granite Mica that hard to paint? (Pics)