GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Problem with Vaistech ML+ & Sub. Need help!

Old 03-22-12, 12:49 PM
bayareaboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with Vaistech ML+ & Sub. Need help!

HI all,

So here is my issue. I have a 2008 Lexus GS 350. I recently had installed a JL 500/1 amp, JL W6 12”, and the Vaistech ML+ ipod integration (specifically for Totoya’s and Lexus’) with my factory deck. On the radio, CD & AUX inputs, the bass sounds great after I did some gain tweaking with the amp. But on the IPOD integration input (fully integrated unit with factory NAVI screen), the bass sounds horrible. It seems as if it is non-responsive to any volume changes, so even at low volumes, the bass is booming. It’s so bad I can’t even listen to it. I tried to play some more with the amp settings but to no avail. There are no audio adjustments to be made on the ipod unit (which costs $500 btw).

I contacted the ipod integration manufacturer and they told me that the unit was manufactured with specifications according to the factory amp, and there’s nothing that I can do to fix my issue with the current setup that I have. I also contacted JL just to see if they had any insight, and they also said it’s a problem with the ipod unit.

Any thoughts on how this could possibly be fixed? I can provide more info. Keep in mind I am in no way an expert with car audio, a beginner at best. I have read about sound processors, not sure if this would help. I would hate to have to choose between either the IPOD or the sub. Thanks for any input!!! Really appreciate it.
Old 08-03-12, 08:56 AM
Litespee
Driver School Candidate

I have the same issue with my 08 GS with ml Vais. Anyone know if it is possible to access the tone controls on the Navi to adjust bass, treb and mid w/o having to change to AM, FM, or DVD? Even when I change, and adjust the bass to the lowest level, it does not seem to make any differnce when I go back ...very boomy bass
Old 08-03-12, 01:48 PM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

Imo it's the gain that needs to be put lower. Although it's true, the bass will be loud at low volume levels. But i think the louder i put the volume, the stronger the bass gets. (i have a alpine mrp 1000 watts and jl 10" w7)
Old 08-03-12, 05:23 PM
swtjlsy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you should have the JL bass **** installed to control the bass output.
Old 08-03-12, 05:28 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First things first, have you checked the iPod isn't running any equaliser presets?
If you've it set to Off, and Sound Check turned on, then you'll need to ascertain if the Vaistech unit is not changing the output frequencies levels.

Easiest way to figure that out, is to buy/borrow a Sound Check disc, preferably something with a Sweep Sinewave tone.
Put that on the iPod at ALE (lossless) level, and bring the CD along with you.
Listen to the track on each output, and see if there's a distinct difference.

If there's not, then it's your music which is bass heavy!
If there is, then the Vais unit is at fault.

I'd like to think a flat frequency response fed into the Vais will yield a flat response out, if it's been engineered properly, but in hedging my bets, I'll say I think you'll find it's your music that's causing the issue (rip a Classic CD to your iPod too, those are very well engineered), which the same CD played by the radio station will be engineered for a flat(ter) output.
Old 08-03-12, 05:35 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by swtjlsy
you should have the JL bass **** installed to control the bass output.
How would the JL amp know which source was playing?
Wouldn't even matter if it did, it's not able to switch between settings, so the OP would be tweaking the **** every time he changes sources!
Old 08-04-12, 09:13 AM
bayareaboy
Driver School Candidate

Litespee - i figured out my problem a while back and it was the simplest fix and i felt like such an idiot. Not sure if this would be ur problem but just in case.

I was lowering the factor bass setting in the dvd mode w/o a cd in thinking it was the same dvd/cd settings were the same input. But theyre not! Popped a cd in and low and behold the bass was still set at the max. Turned it down and problem solved!

Also i turned the gain setting all the way down. Sounds great now. Thanks everyone for the responses.