GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Programming Used Smart Key (Fob)

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-13, 06:29 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Will an RX350 keyfob work with a CT200h

The FCC IID match on both keyfobs HYQ14ACX, and on the board itself the first row of numbers match 271451-5290. But the second row there are some numbers it looks like a date mine says "1/12 " the other keyfob says something else.

But the main difference is the RX350 keyfob has a trunk button and my CT200h doesnt.
Old 10-08-13, 06:49 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tonydt1g3r
The FCC IID match on both keyfobs HYQ14ACX, and on the board itself the first row of numbers match 271451-5290. But the second row there are some numbers it looks like a date mine says "1/12 " the other keyfob says something else.

But the main difference is the RX350 keyfob has a trunk button and my CT200h doesnt.
might get a better answer from these guys

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ct-200h-model-233/
Old 10-08-13, 07:51 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
might get a better answer from these guys

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ct-200h-model-233/
This is more of a key fob question, rather than a CT200h specific question. Can different model cars keyfob work with one another. My inclination is yes, I just wanted some verification.
Old 10-18-13, 07:29 PM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Bought two keys off of eBay ($50 ea.) that had matching numbers both on the cicuit board and on the plastic fob. Took it to my local dealer. They charged me $60 to program them. So now I have 3 working keys!

They said it's called a "reseed." Same procedure as posted in this thread.

Also had them turn off the DRL feature while I was there.

Overall very happy I saved myself a lot of money! Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 10-19-13, 08:55 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS-F
Bought two keys off of eBay ($50 ea.) that had matching numbers both on the cicuit board and on the plastic fob. Took it to my local dealer. They charged me $60 to program them. So now I have 3 working keys!

They said it's called a "reseed." Same procedure as posted in this thread.

Also had them turn off the DRL feature while I was there.

Overall very happy I saved myself a lot of money! Thanks for all the help guys!
were your numbers the same on the second row of the chip?
Old 10-19-13, 01:35 PM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Top pic: I was told that these are the important numbers to match up (top line on the right hand corner)

Bottom pic: These don't match at all, so I don't think these are important.
Attached Thumbnails Programming Used Smart Key (Fob)-photo.jpg   Programming Used Smart Key (Fob)-photo-1-.jpg  
Old 11-27-13, 06:15 AM
dbetler
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This forum has been tremendously helpful. Quite frankly, way more reliable than my trusted Lexus dealer.
Yes... The key fobs can be programmed!
I have lost faith in the dealer, first trying to low ball a trade recently by 12k less than I sold it for and now on this key issue!
I read the posts, purchased a key on Ebay and thought to go to the dealer to program. They initially told me it could not be done but they would try but I would pay regardless of results because they are a union shop. I said forget it. They ultimately found a recall and handed me the keys to a brand new 2013 GS so I left my car for the recall. They said they would program the key and only charge me if they could do it. 24 hours later they called and said they tried 3 times to program and could not be done. The eBay seller told me I could return the key that I paid about 60 for but I wanted to give it one more try. I then found A-Paul's auto locksmith locally in the 630 area code and he said, he can do it. Ultimately he reset both keys under the earlier posted sequence of waiting 16 seconds and success! Two working keys and a newly cut key blank.
So... Thank you and again a resounding definitive yes that this CAN be done!
(Sorry for the long story).
Old 06-11-15, 04:27 PM
samsonn25
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by dbetler
This forum has been tremendously helpful. Quite frankly, way more reliable than my trusted Lexus dealer.
Yes... The key fobs can be programmed!
I have lost faith in the dealer, first trying to low ball a trade recently by 12k less than I sold it for and now on this key issue!
I read the posts, purchased a key on Ebay and thought to go to the dealer to program. They initially told me it could not be done but they would try but I would pay regardless of results because they are a union shop. I said forget it. They ultimately found a recall and handed me the keys to a brand new 2013 GS so I left my car for the recall. They said they would program the key and only charge me if they could do it. 24 hours later they called and said they tried 3 times to program and could not be done. The eBay seller told me I could return the key that I paid about 60 for but I wanted to give it one more try. I then found A-Paul's auto locksmith locally in the 630 area code and he said, he can do it. Ultimately he reset both keys under the earlier posted sequence of waiting 16 seconds and success! Two working keys and a newly cut key blank.
So... Thank you and again a resounding definitive yes that this CAN be done!
(Sorry for the long story).

So they didnt do the standard reseed, they reset the proximity computer?
Old 06-11-15, 04:36 PM
samsonn25
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnLX300
I had this same issue with Lexus. I had a old smart key from my old Lexus IS. I brought a new IS. I wanted to have that key programmed so I would have an extra key. I was told by Lexus about this proxy computer. Lexus can reset it. But they urge customers not to. Here's why. Lexus has a unique ID in this proxy computer, which they have stored in their corporate database. This is so, when you completely lose all your keys or your away lets say on vacation and you lost your key fob they can overnight a new one to you wherever you are that is pre-programed to your specific car so you can be on your way. Once you reset this computer then this can't be done. Anyway that is what my Lexus dealer said.
After re-setting, They can send Lexus HQ the new key codes to update their Master Database :P

In the past Lexus didnt always keep the master key list #, they had alot of problems with people losing all master keys and needed a new ECU/key combo.

They learned this Mercedes, who also has a list of master key codes. But they will only send it to pre-start the car to be able to start the DAS software to open the key re-program menu. Then during the reprogram they have to erase all previous keys including the original (sent from factory) SO in case someone finds your old key they cant use it for your car, they sell it on ebay LOL
Old 06-28-15, 06:29 AM
PlatinumV8
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am shocked at how dealers deal with key issues. They act like used car scam artists. I went in to Meade Lexus in Michigan yesterday to get a price on getting a new sub key cut (grey valet key for my 2000 LS).

Quote was verbal and sketchy, but it added up to almost $200. Told them I can get another Lexus OEM new sub key blank online for $30. You could then just cut it and pair it to the car. He said that he cannot cut keys not bought there because it would damage their $10,000 laser key cutting machine and I would be responsible.

I asked him since the sub key had no battery, what allows it to communicate to the car? He said he did not know how it worked it just does. I asked if it was through magnetic field induction and he said he did not know what that was. He asked if I had a master key, and I needed one or a new computer at $2400 and a new $500 master if not.

(He saw just the grey valet key in my hand and was fishing for a big sale IMO).

Pulled out my new flip key with master fob inside. He started to say those are for a new car, not your old one, until I flipped it out and showed the three button side. I then fished out the spare OEM looking master key and set it on the counter. Three keys. That work awesome. One OEM valet came with the car and two masters with broken and glued cases. Replaced the broken cases AND cut to my cars key code online for under $75.

He looked gobsmacked and started to turn red. I then when on to talk with my friend that was with me to him about how I solved the hesitation issue in the 98-2000 LS line because I found the air bleed cover and port were not sealing (Machining company owner history and I noticed the machining marks on the engine inlet were tracking from outside atmosphere into the port.) Red permatex under the cover and now the car runs like new and crawls along in grid lock like you are on a cloud instead of in a stick drag race car.

As we walked out the door it was mentioned that I was thinking of buying a new F sport 460 here, but not now.

It was a Saturday and I'm a woman, so maybe he just had a problem with me even being there and know what I am talking about. Needless to say I'm learning that Meade Lexus needs to be avoided when I have a service requirement. Part of the reason I switched to Lexus from Cadillac was the perception of the Japanese culture of taking responsibility for failure instead of covering it up and taking advantage of the person dealing with it, like I'd experienced previously.

Maybe the dealers are like terror cells, they get to operate with impunity and Lexus Corporate does not care how they make their deals or treat customers with known design issues, like key problems and noise vibration and harshness issues, that are INHERENT in their cars.

If it was not for boards like this where I just found out last night that master keys with dead batteries will still start the car just not operate the windows and door locks, I'd be still searching for a spare valet key as a back up on long trips.

Now I can relax and enjoy my new to me very low mileage LS and my Sunday.

Thanks for listening to my key rant and fear of the dealership!
Old 08-17-15, 06:37 PM
starbai
Intermediate

Well, I ended up ordering from these guys on ebay:
http://stores.ebay.com/allkeyless?_t...p2047675.l2563
It includes a new blade.

And for anyone in the Central Florida Area, these guys: http://www.automotivekeyguys.com/orl...mith-services/ say they can program it and cut the key for $95.
Old 02-18-16, 06:47 AM
carart21
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SlvrBulit
Can a used Lexus smart key be re-programmed to work for your car? The answer is 100%, abso-effin-lutely YESS!!!

A little background. I recently purchased a 2008 Lexus GS350. Being new to the "smart key" concept I was alarmed when I was warming up my car, and when I walked away the car started beeping. Fearful the car was going to shut off I left the key on the sunroof of my car (I realize now that the car was alerting me the engine was still running instead of warning me it was going to shut off). I come back minutes later and drove off, and only after accelerating to get onto the freeway I hear the keys fall off the roof of my car and the screen on my car alerting me that the key was "out of range". Basically I needed a new key.

Luckily my dad owns a used car wholesale business so I asked my little brother to send me several used Lexus smart keys they had laying around. Making sure the number on the key fob matched the one on my spare.

FCC ID: HYQ14AAB
IC: 1551A-14AAB

What compelled me to post this thread is because after taking it to Lexus of Carlsbad and spending 1.5 hours there they were not able to program my keys. According to the service rep the Master Technician said, "There is now way to program used smart keys." And they were going to charge me half of the original quote of $125. I ended up getting it waived, and while I very disappointed, I was happy to get a free car wash.

I then took it to the locksmith option. If you're in San Diego contact Jerry with BusyBee Locksmith in Little Italy, and tell him Vince with the silver GS sent you. I brought the 3 spare keys I had to Jerry, and after about 1-hour of trouble shooting, he was able to program all 4 keys (1 original, 3 used). He would probably be able to do it in 30 minutes or less from now on. Here are some things we learned:

1. The smart keys to be programmed need batteries - for some reason the ones I had didn't have batteries in them and the dealership failed to check. That is unless they removed them.

2. They needed to reset the proxy (proximity) computer.

3. It takes 16 minutes to access and reset the proximity computer - I believe Lexus set this up as a precaution so someone couldn't easily boost your car. It would take at least 16 minutes.

4. When programing the smart keys by touching the Lexus symbol of the fob to the ignition button in your car all other keys should be out of proximity (approximately 3 feet outside of your vehicle) and done one at a time - we noticed when we were programming that the lights on all the key fobs were blinking. This means the computer was confused on which key to program.

I know there are other threads out there on the same topic, but I many weren't detailed and were debating back and forth of whether this is possible. Hope someone finds this useful. Good luck!
thanks, very helpful.
Old 08-16-16, 09:45 PM
punklexus
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PlatinumV8
I am shocked at how dealers deal with key issues. They act like used car scam artists. I went in to Meade Lexus in Michigan yesterday to get a price on getting a new sub key cut (grey valet key for my 2000 LS).

Quote was verbal and sketchy, but it added up to almost $200. Told them I can get another Lexus OEM new sub key blank online for $30. You could then just cut it and pair it to the car. He said that he cannot cut keys not bought there because it would damage their $10,000 laser key cutting machine and I would be responsible.

I asked him since the sub key had no battery, what allows it to communicate to the car? He said he did not know how it worked it just does. I asked if it was through magnetic field induction and he said he did not know what that was. He asked if I had a master key, and I needed one or a new computer at $2400 and a new $500 master if not.

(He saw just the grey valet key in my hand and was fishing for a big sale IMO).

Pulled out my new flip key with master fob inside. He started to say those are for a new car, not your old one, until I flipped it out and showed the three button side. I then fished out the spare OEM looking master key and set it on the counter. Three keys. That work awesome. One OEM valet came with the car and two masters with broken and glued cases. Replaced the broken cases AND cut to my cars key code online for under $75.

He looked gobsmacked and started to turn red. I then when on to talk with my friend that was with me to him about how I solved the hesitation issue in the 98-2000 LS line because I found the air bleed cover and port were not sealing (Machining company owner history and I noticed the machining marks on the engine inlet were tracking from outside atmosphere into the port.) Red permatex under the cover and now the car runs like new and crawls along in grid lock like you are on a cloud instead of in a stick drag race car.

As we walked out the door it was mentioned that I was thinking of buying a new F sport 460 here, but not now.

It was a Saturday and I'm a woman, so maybe he just had a problem with me even being there and know what I am talking about. Needless to say I'm learning that Meade Lexus needs to be avoided when I have a service requirement. Part of the reason I switched to Lexus from Cadillac was the perception of the Japanese culture of taking responsibility for failure instead of covering it up and taking advantage of the person dealing with it, like I'd experienced previously.

Maybe the dealers are like terror cells, they get to operate with impunity and Lexus Corporate does not care how they make their deals or treat customers with known design issues, like key problems and noise vibration and harshness issues, that are INHERENT in their cars.

If it was not for boards like this where I just found out last night that master keys with dead batteries will still start the car just not operate the windows and door locks, I'd be still searching for a spare valet key as a back up on long trips.

Now I can relax and enjoy my new to me very low mileage LS and my Sunday.

Thanks for listening to my key rant and fear of the dealership!
I guess 75$ is a good deal by the dealer
Old 03-15-17, 06:02 PM
Antoniobro
Driver School Candidate

I recently lost my only keyfob to my 07 Lexus IS250. So, would I be able to buy two new/used keyfobs + smart card and take them to a locksmith? or do I have to have the original keyfobs?
Old 03-19-17, 12:06 PM
guzzy92fs
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Great writeup! Just to let you know, be careful when buying keys off ebay, I recently purchased an used smart key with a blank key insert, I validated the FCCID and IC to match my key with the one on ebay, but by my surprise the inside of the key was completely different, apparetely the seller swaped the outer shell with something else on the inside, my key was a TYPE 71 and the one I Received was type 74, so I ended up with a useless key! so be careful!!

BTW my original key was
FCC ID: HYQ14AAB
IC: 1551A-14AAB

Quick Reply: Programming Used Smart Key (Fob)