GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Garax 6k Users Sound Off

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-11, 12:26 PM
jusdach
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Garax 6k Users Sound Off

I'm thinking about upgrading my OE D4s to Garax 6000k. Any current users have issues? I've been told using "cheap" bulbs could damage the ballast but I don't see how a 6000k from Garax could do any more/any less damage than a 6000k bulb from Phillips.
Old 07-28-11, 12:36 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

i have them, no problems
Old 07-28-11, 09:59 PM
smilepak
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought them 6 months ago, finally got around installing them yesterday. Man they rock! Price vs Quality, they rock!
Old 07-28-11, 10:24 PM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have had them over a year, not a single problem! Highly recommend.
Old 07-28-11, 10:54 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Had them on for 2 weeks works flawlessly, it wasn't my taste of color. Got that set for sale if you need
Old 07-29-11, 12:11 AM
ball4lyfe
Rookie

have had them for about a month and no problem (flickering, etc).
Old 07-29-11, 07:48 AM
smilepak
Driver

Now I need to figure out a bulb to replace for my fog light, not going to do HID conversion, just bulb replacement to match the nice color of Garax. Any recommendation?
Old 07-29-11, 11:57 AM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by smilepak
Now I need to figure out a bulb to replace for my fog light, not going to do HID conversion, just bulb replacement to match the nice color of Garax. Any recommendation?
If you're looking for a deep yellow color I highly recommend the Putco Jet Yellow Bulbs. I had a HID conversion that was nothing but headaches. Bought this for 1/4 of the price and the color is great, no problems with flickering or shutting off, had it for close to a year with no problems at all! Got them from XenonDepot.
Old 07-29-11, 12:08 PM
jusdach
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your input, think I'm gonna pull the trigger on ebay today.
Old 08-01-11, 08:25 AM
MizikeTSK
Driver

I have them also and was iffy at first due to the price but it was well worth it. I have them on for about a month now. I just need to aim them a little higher to get more viewing distance out of them(i never got around to doing it with the stock bulbs). Just curious but how much are they on ebay? There is a vendor here that sells them for like $80 or something.
Old 08-01-11, 10:55 AM
jusdach
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MizikeTSK
I have them also and was iffy at first due to the price but it was well worth it. I have them on for about a month now. I just need to aim them a little higher to get more viewing distance out of them(i never got around to doing it with the stock bulbs). Just curious but how much are they on ebay? There is a vendor here that sells them for like $80 or something.
The vendor I found on ebay was $89.99 with free shipping. I'd rather support a CL vendor though, who were you talking about?
Old 08-01-11, 12:57 PM
MizikeTSK
Driver

ModExpress, is the vendor you want to look up, you'll see his thread in the vendors section.
Old 08-01-11, 01:34 PM
dentalstud
Rookie

Default not an upgrade

Originally Posted by jusdach
I'm thinking about upgrading my OE D4s to Garax 6000k. Any current users have issues? I've been told using "cheap" bulbs could damage the ballast but I don't see how a 6000k from Garax could do any more/any less damage than a 6000k bulb from Phillips.
it is technically NOT an upgrade when you are losing lumen output (brightness) in exchange for higher kelvin (blue color). i upgraded to the Philips Ultinon 5000K recently and it is noticeably brighter than the OEM/xeneco bulbs. before installing the Ultinons, I had to aim my projectors higher to compensate for the lack of brightness, but after installing the Ultinons, I had to go back and lower the lights because it was obviously too high with the new change in lumens. if you are looking for a nice blue/purple color and a small tradeoff in lumen output, i'd suggest the Philips Ultinon 6000K anyday over the Garax (just save your money). Nigel was offering them for $269 a pair which is an amazing deal for authentic bulbs that are extremely rare and hard to find. you may think that paying that much for light bulbs is ridiculous, but until you have these bulbs, will you understand that you were in the dark the whole time, literally. plus, why would anybody put cheap bulbs in a $45K+ vehicle?

Last edited by dentalstud; 08-01-11 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-02-11, 03:04 PM
yoondog
Driver

I've had the Garax on for a few weeks now and it is noticeably less brighter than stocks. I didn't think I'd have trouble with them at first but there were a few times where I'd had to flash my highbeams on the road to see where I was going. I might jump on the Philips Ultinons soon.
Old 08-14-11, 12:52 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dentalstud
it is technically NOT an upgrade when you are losing lumen output (brightness) in exchange for higher kelvin (blue color). i upgraded to the Philips Ultinon 5000K recently and it is noticeably brighter than the OEM/xeneco bulbs. before installing the Ultinons, I had to aim my projectors higher to compensate for the lack of brightness, but after installing the Ultinons, I had to go back and lower the lights because it was obviously too high with the new change in lumens. if you are looking for a nice blue/purple color and a small tradeoff in lumen output, i'd suggest the Philips Ultinon 6000K anyday over the Garax (just save your money). Nigel was offering them for $269 a pair which is an amazing deal for authentic bulbs that are extremely rare and hard to find. you may think that paying that much for light bulbs is ridiculous, but until you have these bulbs, will you understand that you were in the dark the whole time, literally. plus, why would anybody put cheap bulbs in a $45K+ vehicle?
Just to add on top. Philips Ultinon 6000K will out perform Garax 6000K.

Quick Reply: Garax 6k Users Sound Off