GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

11 GS 350 accident aftermath...

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-11, 09:08 AM
lostnspace
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 11 GS 350 accident aftermath...

I lucked up this forum when searching for info on the 4GS. I finally worked up the courage to start posting to the forum.

I was set to share picks of my 11 GS 350AWD, but after 7 months of ownership...this happened yesterday...

Waiting to hear from the insurance adjusters and with it being a weekend...probably won't hear anything until Monday or Tuesday.

I am so blessed to have walked with just a stiff neck...but I'm a little concerned that my driver airbag did not deploy (from the steering wheel). I am amazed at how well the inside cabin absorbed so much of the impact.

What to do now...if it isn't a total loss (looks to be all body damage, can't really tell if the frame is bent), I really don't want the car back after all this damage. Lexus is ready to put me in whatever I want...but I'm really eager to see what the 4GS is going to be about in the next few weeks.
Old 07-16-11, 09:14 AM
krava
Lead Lap

looks like it got hit on both sides, like if you tried to squeeze through 2 big disels on either side of you
Old 07-16-11, 09:18 AM
twylie
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad you and your passengers are OK. This is the second serious crash we've seen pics of recently, and I'm very encouraged by how the car holds up. Hard to tell from the pictures what happened, but looks like you had to get spun to hit both sides and fracture a wheel. Can you describe the circumstances? Also, since all the curtain and side bags deployed, is it correct that you had passengers in all 4 seats? Doesn't look like any of the front bags (dash, steering, or knee) deployed, so it may not have suffered enough of a direct frontal to deploy those. However, the other crash posted looked more severe on the frontal angle and the drivers knee bag deployed, however the steering wheel did not.

Again, the fact that everyone walked away is the key. Here's to hoping they total it for you.
Old 07-16-11, 09:18 AM
lostnspace
Rookie

That seems like a scene from an action movie lol!

I actually got t-boned on the driver side, and did an 180, hit a median, them slammed into another car on my passenger side.

I was the only passenger in the car and everything happened so quickly.

I was shocked at how well the car took all the impact...I don't think my 08 IS would have made it through the same accident.

Last edited by lostnspace; 07-16-11 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-16-11, 09:59 AM
maximus001
Driver School Candidate

Wow! You came out OK the rest is secondary. Car looks like it can take a beating. There are many censors that are required to signal before that driver side airbag deploys and most are in the front end. My son and I went over an embankment in a brand new Prius right into a hot tub 12' below. the air bags didn't deploy and we walked away without a scratch. Legs were unsteady for quite awhile, however.

Yes, he was learning how to drive.
Old 07-16-11, 10:01 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

sorry to see that, glad that you didn't get seriously hurt, but make sure you get your neck checked out. a lot of times soreness didn't happen until few days and you want to get that looked at asap.
Old 07-16-11, 10:13 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Damn, whats with these 3GS steering wheel airbags not deploying. Thats some weird ish that you need to let Lexus know because this isnt the first time that 3GS owners posted pics of their accident and the steering wheel AB didnt deploy.. But the most important thing is that you're okay.
Old 07-16-11, 10:22 AM
lostnspace
Rookie

Originally Posted by maximus001
Wow! You came out OK the rest is secondary. Car looks like it can take a beating. There are many censors that are required to signal before that driver side airbag deploys and most are in the front end. My son and I went over an embankment in a brand new Prius right into a hot tub 12' below. the air bags didn't deploy and we walked away without a scratch. Legs were unsteady for quite awhile, however.

Yes, he was learning how to drive.
Thank goodness, you were able to walk away from that! Learning the difference between breaking and accelerating at age 16, can be a bit confusing .

Originally Posted by rominl
sorry to see that, glad that you didn't get seriously hurt, but make sure you get your neck checked out. a lot of times soreness didn't happen until few days and you want to get that looked at asap.
I will take you up on that. I did not sleep last night, because I've had a mild concussion before and the doctors wanted me to stay up 24 hours. I figured the would apply to this car accident. I've taken about 1000 mg of Advil, and aside from the stiffness and broken heart, I feel quite fine. I will go to medical just so everything can be documented.

Originally Posted by SRTGS300
Damn, whats with these 3GS steering wheel airbags not deploying. Thats some weird ish that you need to let Lexus know because this isnt the first time that 3GS owners posted pics of their accident and the steering wheel AB didnt deploy.. But the most important thing is that you're okay.
I agree! I know this was not exactly a front impact accident, but my head did hit the driver side window (so thankful for those side airbags) but just seeing the how everything transpired I would've had increased peace mind that my driver's airbag would've deployed.

On another good note the Lexus SOS worked like a charm, and the lady came on immediately and stayed on the line until my car was being hitched to the tow truck.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone
Old 07-16-11, 10:26 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

glad that you are alright
Old 07-16-11, 11:28 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Holy crap glad you were alright. Lexus Built Tough!
Old 07-16-11, 12:32 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

sorry to hear about your accident, and glad you are not seriously hurt. i must say after seeing these accident pics, i feel more safe knowing that our cars are saving lives.
Old 07-16-11, 12:38 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

glad you are okay!

the car held up pretty well ? what was the other car and how did it look?
Old 07-16-11, 12:40 PM
lostnspace
Rookie

Originally Posted by jadu
glad that you are alright
Yea me too, thanks! Must say mentally I'm spent. I hate waiting to know what the next steps after the claim adjuster does his quote.

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Holy crap glad you were alright. Lexus Built Tough!
Tough indeed. Gorgeous on the outside and built like a Sherman Tank inside. I turned the car on today when I took this photos and engine was making a clacking/ticking sound. Can't believe Yasmin (lol, yea I know...I named my car) is in critical condition/life support right now.

I'm stuck driving a Hyundai Sonata...omg its has absolutely 0 pick up...I can feel every cylinder straining to get the car any noticeable speed.
Old 07-16-11, 12:50 PM
lostnspace
Rookie

Originally Posted by Stormforge
sorry to hear about your accident, and glad you are not seriously hurt. i must say after seeing these accident pics, i feel more safe knowing that our cars are saving lives.
Thanks Stormforge. I must say, the inside of the car felt like a cocoon or a safety bubble of sorts. It was eerily smokey from the powder of the air bags, but I am so glad this car held up its end of the bargain and protected me for what could have been considerable injuries.

Originally Posted by HellaG35
glad you are okay! the car held up pretty well ? what was the other car and how did it look?
The car that t-boned me was a 2002 Ford Ranger, it had a pushed up hood, and those passengers were fine (They were like 175 years old between the two of them, and they were doing better than myself and the other lady in the accident). The car I hit was a 2005 Toyota 4 Runner, and it had damage to driver side of the car, but it look "good" with everything being considered. The back driver side took the most damage. That driver was okay, she was mostly frazzled (no physical injuries) and opted to go to the hospital.
Old 07-16-11, 01:20 PM
alwayzspeedin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank god your drink didnt spill it would been hard to clean it off the seats and center console....

P.s. Hope your ok too

Quick Reply: 11 GS 350 accident aftermath...