GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Seat position for long legged drivers

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-11, 07:53 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Glaphmion
Also agreed. ES seats feel like they have much more padding (or perhaps it's the lack of in-seat fans in the loaner I drove?) and the driver seat is wider. On the GS, it feels that the brake paddle is in the middle of the seating area, so I'm constantly trying to reach left with my right leg for the paddle. Perhaps that's why it feel uncomfortable?
Not the lack of fans, our ES350 has ventilated seats and is a lot more comfy. Here is what I like about the ES seats:
1) More driver leg room
2) Extendable seat cushions
3) More vertical and horizontal movement
4) Better padding

My theory is that since the ES350 is the only Lexus designed exclusively for the US market, they took into account that Americans are naturally taller and heavier than the average Japanese person. Average American physique is much closer to Northern European than Japanese.

The average japanese man is 5 foot 7.5 inches according to Wikipedia. The average American man is 5 ft 9.5 inches (going up to 5ft 10.5 inches for the average white american). I'm 6'0". So quite a bit bigger than the average japanese man.

Lexus needs to have their seating positions designed in US or Northern Europe.

Last edited by *Batman*; 02-16-11 at 08:01 AM.
Old 02-16-11, 07:58 AM
User 121523
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's to hope that 4GS will have better seats ... whenever it comes.
Old 02-16-11, 08:04 AM
LexFather

Good thread.

When I was in my 20s I had no issue with GS seats in regards to comfort for the legs. I did wish for more lateral support. Now in my 30s I do wish for better seats and just one small part would help tremendously, the seat extension in front of the seat the LS has. It does wonders for those with long legs. I am 6 foor 5 btw.

Oddly the new Nissan Maxima has it but its manual and it does help with long leg comfort. I told my wife recently I never thought that "seat comfort" would be a buying factor in the future but the LS has that down. The Germans also do as well, I used to think all the 500 or so seating position options were overkill but now I understand why its a good thing. I've taken the GS on long trips and it does get tiring and fatigues the legs. DAMN AGING!!

I do hope the 4GS has more seat options. Lexus seems to put the same kind of setup in most cars besides the LS.

To me the current 3RX is the first RX with good seats and ES 350 seats have gotten better. Before then the FWD Lexus cars had okay seats at best.

I actually fit fine in the 1/2 IS up front and like the seats a lot. I love the side bolsering of the IS F seat.

The SC 300/400 seat is a GREAT seat, one of my favorites in a Lexus.
Old 02-16-11, 08:25 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Now in my 30s I do wish for better seats and just one small part would help tremendously, the seat extension in front of the seat the LS has. It does wonders for those with long legs. I am 6 foor 5 btw.
I can't imagine driving the GS being 6'5. Must be agonizing!

I was in pain by the end when I drove 8 hours from Atlanta to Miami last month in my GS.
Old 02-16-11, 08:45 AM
LexFather

I did Atlanta to Miami twice last year in the GSh/RXh. Both seats got on my nerves. I checked out the LS nearly immediately after and love the seat adjustments. Those seat extenders are KEY! That said I would need to drive the LS for a long trip to see if the seats are that much better than just sitting in the car.

I don't have long commutes here so its not a problem driving around town for short trips and I drive the other cars. Need to look online for some sort of seat extension support.

http://www.footsmart.com/c-seat-cushions-225.aspx
Old 02-16-11, 08:50 AM
User 121523
Pit Crew

Confession: I've always wanted the LS, but it seems so huge and (at least appears to be) not as sleek and sporty as the GS. I've never sat in an LS for more than a few minutes, but I guess this is one extra point for the LS. If 4GS somehow messes up, I know what my next car will be.
Old 02-16-11, 09:31 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Glaphmion
Confession: I've always wanted the LS, but it seems so huge and (at least appears to be) not as sleek and sporty as the GS. I've never sat in an LS for more than a few minutes, but I guess this is one extra point for the LS. If 4GS somehow messes up, I know what my next car will be.
I never really saw myself in a LS until the 600h L and now LS sport. I really like those two. I agree with your looks comment. I also hope the 4GS gets better seats (and a GS F model).
Old 02-16-11, 10:20 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I never really saw myself in a LS until the 600h L and now LS sport. I really like those two. I agree with your looks comment. I also hope the 4GS gets better seats (and a GS F model).
I like the looks of the LS460. Since Lexus began making cars in 1989, the LS460 was the second Lexus I found visually appealing, the first being the 3GS.
Old 02-16-11, 11:19 AM
patricksr5
Pole Position

I am 6'2" with 34" inseam and have the same problem. Either my knee or hip is killing me sometimes/most times. I have tried moving the front up and down and I think more on the downside is better. Cruise control is the only thing that saves me on more than 1 hour trips.
Old 02-16-11, 11:21 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by patricksr5
I am 6'2" with 34" inseam and have the same problem. Either my knee or hip is killing me sometimes/most times. I have tried moving the front up and down and I think more on the downside is better. Cruise control is the only thing that saves me on more than 1 hour trips.
I find having the front up is better. If I move it down, my left leg gets no support.
Old 02-16-11, 11:28 AM
User 121523
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by *Batman*
I find having the front up is better. If I move it down, my left leg gets no support.
I usually feel the same way, but there are days when having the front up makes me feel like I'm being crushed between the seat and the seat back, so I lower the front and increase the seat back incline, only to readjust it a few days later.
Old 02-16-11, 01:30 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've never driven long distances in this car like you guys.

I'm 6'2, I sit with the seat not all the way back, and seatback almost 90* upright (slightly tilted), so my arms have a comfortable bend. My knee rests on the center stack. my heel is dug in to the carpet, and my knee is bent.
I don't feel discomfort.

how is your back posture?
Old 02-16-11, 01:44 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dunnojack
I've never driven long distances in this car like you guys.

I'm 6'2, I sit with the seat not all the way back, and seatback almost 90* upright (slightly tilted), so my arms have a comfortable bend. My knee rests on the center stack. my heel is dug in to the carpet, and my knee is bent.
I don't feel discomfort.

how is your back posture?
Exactly same as yours.
Old 02-16-11, 01:56 PM
LexFather

****ing father time

Old 02-16-11, 03:05 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yeah. I think lack of exercise is the answer. muahaha

Quick Reply: Seat position for long legged drivers