GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Seat position for long legged drivers

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-11, 05:43 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Seat position for long legged drivers

After 20 months with this car, I am beginning to find my driving position extremely uncomfortable. After about 15 minutes my right knee begins to ache. I feel it is like a repetitive strain injury caused by the car. Whenever I am away from home, driving rentals, using cabs, etc. I don't have this problem.

I typically wear 33" inside leg trousers. I position my seat all the way back, with the front height up to max, and rear height bottomed out. In this position, I still have to bend my leg so my thigh is not resting on the seat but is raised and bent to the right, effectively curving my leg to create enough length that my foot is positioned right for the pedals. Because my leg is too long to keep straight with foot on the pedal, this is putting extra strain on my knee (effectively I have to twist my knee when I switch from brake to accelerator because my leg is resting on the right wall of the footwell.

I find this kind of ridiculous. In my E46 M3 cabrio, I could position the seat so I could barely reach the pedals. In this one, I can't put it far enough. I wonder if the seat is defective, or whether it is something else.

Question for those with similar long legs - how do you position your seat?
Old 02-15-11, 07:23 PM
OhOneWS6
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am 6'3" and wear a 36 inseam and I put my seat all the way back and all the way down front and back. No issues for me. I did get that strain feeling when I had the IS 350. The GS seems to have more leg room to me.
Old 02-15-11, 08:06 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by OhOneWS6
I am 6'3" and wear a 36 inseam and I put my seat all the way back and all the way down front and back. No issues for me. I did get that strain feeling when I had the IS 350. The GS seems to have more leg room to me.
Hmm. I wonder if my seat is not going full back.
Old 02-15-11, 08:13 PM
User 121523
Pit Crew

It's been 2 years since I got the car and I'm yet to find a comfortable seating arrangement that I don't adjust every day. Not sure why.
Old 02-15-11, 08:57 PM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Ha i'm 6' 4" and I have the same problem you had except when I had my 2006 GS 300 not sure what occured after I bought the GS 450h but I seem to have more leg room and feel comfortable in it. But I have found a method by putting the eat back a little more I can rest up a little and lean a little on the console I can actually stretch my legs fully forward in the old GS. Maybe I might extend the seat tracks!
Old 02-15-11, 10:24 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If you're looking for an excuse to splurge on an LShL, I'll back you up on that.
Old 02-16-11, 04:48 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

im pretty comfortable in mine. im 6'1 and about 230lbs and i have no probems. seat is all the way back and i have it set pretty much down to the lowest spot with the rear of the seat tilted a good ways back. i have no problem taking a 3 hour road trip.

i think your problem may be with how you have the front of the seat set all the way up. i cant imagine that being comfortable.
Old 02-16-11, 06:03 AM
twylie
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm 6'1", 32" inseam and find the seats and seating position among the most comfortable cars I've been in. I regularly do 4.5+ hour runs (full tank of fuel) without stopping. I do keep the seat all the way down with only a slight lift in the front. Generally I've found if I raise the seat front too much, it cuts down on circulation and is uncomfortable. This applies to all vehicles I've owned.
Old 02-16-11, 06:26 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by twylie
I'm 6'1", 32" inseam and find the seats and seating position among the most comfortable cars I've been in. I regularly do 4.5+ hour runs (full tank of fuel) without stopping. I do keep the seat all the way down with only a slight lift in the front. Generally I've found if I raise the seat front too much, it cuts down on circulation and is uncomfortable. This applies to all vehicles I've owned.
My issue is not circulation. It's that if I put the front down, you have a straight line from the hip to the pedal, which is a shorter distance than a non straight line. So I have to raise my knees to make room, and I end up with no thigh support at all.
Old 02-16-11, 06:39 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree that I found discomfort driving both my GS and IS.

More so on the GS, I also sat using the same position as Batman, with the front of the seat raised and the back lowered. I was unable to feel comfortable with the front down, since I felt I would slide down.

The ES, however is very comfortable. My ankle doesn't hurt when driving it.
Old 02-16-11, 06:52 AM
gulleyman
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a friend who is almost 7' tall, he actually drives a Ford Focus because he says it's the only car he's tried with enough leg room...can you believe that?
Old 02-16-11, 07:30 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DaSyce
I agree that I found discomfort driving both my GS and IS.

More so on the GS, I also sat using the same position as Batman, with the front of the seat raised and the back lowered. I was unable to feel comfortable with the front down, since I felt I would slide down.

The ES, however is very comfortable. My ankle doesn't hurt when driving it.
Completely agree. ES is super comfy. But it's not much fun to drive.
Old 02-16-11, 07:45 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

I studied it further this morning. I was concerned that maybe something was obstructing the seat rail and preventing seat from going full back. However this was not the case, the seat was full back.

I think the issue is it doesn't go far back enough, and the seat doesn't angle up enough at the front which means lack of thigh support. Extendable seat cushions would help too.
Old 02-16-11, 07:46 AM
User 121523
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by *Batman*
Completely agree. ES is super comfy. But it's not much fun to drive.
Also agreed. ES seats feel like they have much more padding (or perhaps it's the lack of in-seat fans in the loaner I drove?) and the driver seat is wider. On the GS, it feels that the brake paddle is in the middle of the seating area, so I'm constantly trying to reach left with my right leg for the paddle. Perhaps that's why it feel uncomfortable?
Old 02-16-11, 07:48 AM
User 121523
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by *Batman*
Extendable seat cushions would help too.
Ironically, my last car, a Toyota, had extendable seat cushion

Quick Reply: Seat position for long legged drivers