GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Finally gave up on Lexus and went w/ new BMW 550

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-10, 11:34 AM
rickyb80
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by YeA 2jZ
how man miles did it have on it because to me that sounds like a friggin deal
2007 GS-h w/ 41K miles with all available options. It wasn't CPO, but then again I saved $9K off a CPO one they had for sale locally. I'd rather have a non-CPO for what I saved.
Old 12-23-10, 11:43 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

trust me theres a reason why its 9k cheaper. check carfax or anything else such as the vin on lexus.com to see the history of the car.
Old 12-23-10, 12:39 PM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
trust me theres a reason why its 9k cheaper. check carfax or anything else such as the vin on lexus.com to see the history of the car.
Mine wasn t CPO I actually bought it from a Infinity dealer. The only thing wrong was the rear passenger side door had been hit and had a ****ty bodyman repair it. My best friend is a automotive insurance adjuster with 12 years of bodywork experience that looked at it with me and that was it's only issue. I have since had several body issues repaired as well as the door by one of the most reputable shops in MD and she is gorgeous
Old 12-24-10, 12:03 AM
tardorange
Driver

Originally Posted by GSLEX0586
im not trying to turn this into any type of bmw/benz bashing thread but i sat in a brand spanking new S63 AMG and wasn't impressed if put side by side with a 3rd gen GS...NOT to say taht the GS is better but i wasnt impressed much by the benz. i expected a whole lot more

Also, bmw's leather seems to age terribly as years go by. I personally think they have 1 of the worst leathers. I was shopping for 5 series beemers when i was shopping for my 3rd gen GS and dear LORD, BMW's in the 40-60k mileage range looked terrible inside
Have to take care of the BMW leather with leather care products...otherwise they turn nasty.
Old 12-24-10, 06:10 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tardorange
Have to take care of the BMW leather with leather care products...otherwise they turn nasty.
The Dakota leather is pretty hard wearing in my experience having owned 4 BMWs. It's the Nappa leather you have to take care of. Same thing with Lexus's. Except even our base leather is pretty soft and easily prone to scuffing.

I reckon if you don't condition semi-aniline leather every month, you would start to notice creases and wrinkles within a year.
Old 12-24-10, 06:30 AM
bigblack06

Received 324 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by tardorange
yeah but it seems as though BMW leather cracks quicker as opposed to lexus leather and its softer which someone pointed out, and why is it that BMW seats are so hard, I feel like i'm sitting on rocks.
Old 12-24-10, 07:54 AM
jackballer
Driver

If you live in cold climate you will notice how it will vibrate really bad at a stoplight while in drive until the engine temp gets up, which for me seems like all the time since I only live 4 miles from work and it just doesnt warm up that fast. I didnt notice this in the warm summer. I also have the sunroof rattle, dont notice it now because its closed in the winter. No dashboard rattle here. Everyone has the direct injection ticking thing I believe. Still glad I got the GS300 instead of the SRTcharger I was looking at.....I think.
Old 12-24-10, 09:03 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
yeah but it seems as though BMW leather cracks quicker as opposed to lexus leather and its softer which someone pointed out, and why is it that BMW seats are so hard, I feel like i'm sitting on rocks.
This is because they want you to pay the extra $1800 for nappa leather. BMW are bunch of nickel and dimeing bastards.

If Lexus made a quality sports sedan which didn't rattle - a more solidly built version of the GS460 - on an LS460 Sport suspension platform - BMW would lose a lot of share, and our friend here wouldn't have had to buy a 2011 550i.

I am hoping to see something like this announced in the spring. If they instead announced a car with an IS based suspension, like Infiniti did with their M, and continue to cheap out on interior design and construction quality, then it's game over. Basically anything short of a more powerful, shorter LS460 Sport would be insufficient.
Old 12-24-10, 10:11 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ I agree 100%!
Old 12-24-10, 10:35 AM
DaSaNi
Rookie

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
BMW are nice cars when it's new... As the odometer goes older, you will understand.
i love this comment. As an owner of 3 BMWs, (i never had a 5 series cuz in my opinion 5 and 7 series is too old for my age, and i'm 30 ) i said to myself that i will never buy another BMW again. I respect they made good cars, not junk but comparing to other midsize sedans or small compacts, i will choose Toyota and Honda over any other brand in the entire world.

Congrats on your new purchase btw.
Old 12-24-10, 10:22 PM
username32
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My sister has a Bimmer 540i, albeit a older E39 body but her car is falling apart like the titanic. I think like nothing works on that car, AC doesn't work, sunroof broke, power seat gone wild, and there is like 19 diff warning lights on the cluster, im not kidding, but she still likes the car so she continues to drive it. To each their own i guess.... I love my GS alot, its a very comfortable car that just fits me. The GS isn't very exciting to say the least but besides the occasional dash rattle when really cold i don't have any real complaints and being my first real entry into luxury car, it has met my expectations thus far.
Old 12-25-10, 10:08 PM
sfvas
Driver School Candidate

Default Came from Benz/BMW to Lexus

It' really depends on what you are looking for, we sold our E320, M3 Roadster, and 540iBMW + had a 2000 740i and now only own a 2007 400h and an 08 GS350 - I agree they don't have that Sportscar feel and the German cars are super smooth. I just needed a brake from the German Electrical issues and expensive maint. We have NOT HAD ONE ISSUE with the Lexus and I'm willing to live with some more road noise for a car that is reliable and easy to drive. I no longer have to worry about a $3000 chip/wire/controller that is just comes out of nowhere for no reason. My wife's car has been just a workhorse as a kid taxi that get's ABUSED! I Japanese make a pretty good car. We also have a 4Runner that has 100k+ with NO ISSUES, and it's nice to not spend all this time in the shops and actually drive the car.
Old 12-26-10, 05:24 PM
rickyb80
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
Hmm.....I was furnished with a clean carfax report upon purchase of the vehicle, given a dealer 90 day/3,000 mile warranty in addition to the standard Lexus warranty, and on top of that I have a 100K powertrain warranty.

I'd rather save $9K than to say I bought a CPO.
Old 12-26-10, 05:27 PM
rickyb80
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jackballer
If you live in cold climate you will notice how it will vibrate really bad at a stoplight while in drive until the engine temp gets up, which for me seems like all the time since I only live 4 miles from work and it just doesnt warm up that fast. I didnt notice this in the warm summer. I also have the sunroof rattle, dont notice it now because its closed in the winter. No dashboard rattle here. Everyone has the direct injection ticking thing I believe. Still glad I got the GS300 instead of the SRTcharger I was looking at.....I think.
Yeah, I think alot of cars would start to rattle if it got cold enough. I had an Audi and a VW when I was in North Dakota, and when the temperature dropped down to -45 degrees my window components froze up and my window fell into my door while driving 75 mph down the highway. Furthermore, ALL my vehicles rattled in that ultra cold weather.

Here in AZ, I've experienced only 2 rattles going over extremely bumpy surfaces. Under normal conditions, absolute quiet.