GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Finally gave up on Lexus and went w/ new BMW 550

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-10, 07:24 AM
skim07
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by batman75
I think you're insane regarding the gs350 vs s63 comparison.

Regarding the leathers, higher quality leathers degrade faster. The semi-aniline leather in the gs460 is so soft it can easily develop indentations relative ot the gs350 leather.

My experience is all these leathers will stay in great shape if you treat it properly. I conditioned my BMW leather every month with Zaino leather in a bottle and it stayed mint for 8 years. Same with my GS460 semi-aniline leather.
+1. GS and S63 should not be in a same sentence. coated leather will last longer even if its not well maintained. Fine leather is more sensitive requiring additional care, but if you maintain it well it will stay looking good for a long time. I also used Zaino leather on S2k(coated), S4(napa), GX, and M3(napa). All different types of leather but zaino leather cleaner and conditioner is awesome. Leatherique is also very good but its best for summer time and requires your car to be parked all day in the sun.
Old 12-22-10, 07:44 AM
johnnunez2
Pole Position

good luck. i guess im one of the few who's car has no rattles or creaks. my gs is fine. maybe its a cold thing. the gs doesnt like cold weather.lol.only complaint about my car, ticking.thats it.
Old 12-22-10, 08:41 AM
bigblack06

Received 324 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnunez2
good luck. i guess im one of the few who's car has no rattles or creaks. my gs is fine. maybe its a cold thing. the gs doesnt like cold weather.lol.only complaint about my car, ticking.thats it.
Naw, my car doesn't rattle either it 's mostly quiet during winter and summer.
Old 12-22-10, 08:50 AM
drpatel77
Lead Lap

Default ...

well as far as rattles go that's why u have a sound system.... plus would take few rattles anyday than some of the problems u get with bmw and especially benz as they get older... btw have some rattles with my 99 and absolutely non with my 2004 one... either way, no way will give up on lexus of course unless it's a porsche or lambo.. haha..
Old 12-22-10, 10:22 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jason60050
Well I grew tired of the cold weather rattles and obviously the poor image that continues to grow for Toyota...I sold my GS on Craigslist and purchased a 2011 BMW 550i xdrive. I don't really need to say much about how awesome this vehicle is but it is head and shoulders over anything coming out of Japan!!!

Good luck to all of you!!! Get rid of them while you can!!!
Congrats! I love the F10 5 Series...and the engine on the 550 is sweet What color combo did you go with?

Just make sure your car doesn't have the steering-grinding problem. My good friend picked up a 550 a few months ago and has been battling this issue. You can read more about it here.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=495019
Old 12-22-10, 10:24 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSLEX0586
im not trying to turn this into any type of bmw/benz bashing thread but i sat in a brand spanking new S63 AMG and wasn't impressed if put side by side with a 3rd gen GS...NOT to say taht the GS is better but i wasnt impressed much by the benz. i expected a whole lot more
Ummm, ok.

I'm pretty sure if you would have driven the S63, your opinion would be different. Not fair to compare the GS and S63, the cars are on different levels.
Old 12-22-10, 10:29 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Beamer, benzie, bentley, beamer, benzie, bentley you're pockets always empty!!!!
Old 12-22-10, 10:41 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
Beamer, benzie, bentley, beamer, benzie, bentley you're pockets always empty!!!!
Yeah it's true. I was going to buy a 2011 550i but MSRP for my preferred spec is $78k, and I'm seeing used ones a few months old for $60k. The reality is it ain't so bad, but there is an art to buying a beamer. You go buy from a dealer of the lot, you get raped. You order Euro Delivery, shop around and get Euro delivery at invoice with a rebate on top, you end up getting the $78k sticker car for $65k brand new.

This is why BMW depreciation is so bad. Their pricing is insane!
Old 12-22-10, 11:18 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by batman75
Yeah it's true. I was going to buy a 2011 550i but MSRP for my preferred spec is $78k, and I'm seeing used ones a few months old for $60k. The reality is it ain't so bad, but there is an art to buying a beamer. You go buy from a dealer of the lot, you get raped. You order Euro Delivery, shop around and get Euro delivery at invoice with a rebate on top, you end up getting the $78k sticker car for $65k brand new.

This is why BMW depreciation is so bad. Their pricing is insane!
lol, and they help kill themselves by leasing so many while setting the residual ridiculously high
Old 12-22-10, 12:27 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
lol, and they help kill themselves by leasing so many while setting the residual ridiculously high
Yeah. High residuals also exaggerate the pricing difference when you have such high variability on the sale price.

When I worked the numbers with my contact at Pacific BMW, there turned out to be something like a $300 a month difference between paying MSRP and the euro delivery deal he offered me at $1000 below ED invoice (after the holiday rebate).

In the end the only reason I didn't take it is because by the time an ED car arrives, I may as well wait another 6 months and get the 2012 or wait opportunistically for a fully equipped used one with 5k miles at $20k below MSRP.
Old 12-22-10, 01:50 PM
designo
Pole Position

Received 457 Likes on 287 Posts

I must be the only one who bought this car so I could mod the hell of it! I bash this car around town every day, it never complains!

Crap brakes yes, but that's just toyota!

Good luck with your twin turbo V8.. I hope you don;t have to visit your dealer too often. Most of my friends have had their cars at the workshop week in week out! Ranging from 2010 and 2011 750's to 2011 X5M's! First couple years batches are always a PITA!
Old 12-22-10, 03:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by designo
I must be the only one who bought this car so I could mod the hell of it! I bash this car around town every day, it never complains!

Crap brakes yes, but that's just toyota!

Good luck with your twin turbo V8.. I hope you don;t have to visit your dealer too often. Most of my friends have had their cars at the workshop week in week out! Ranging from 2010 and 2011 750's to 2011 X5M's! First couple years batches are always a PITA!
hahaha i would never consider this lexus to be very mod friendly. there is not that much to mod with it
Old 12-22-10, 03:10 PM
johnnunez2
Pole Position

i drive the crap outta mine. and it takes it like a champ. guess some are better than others. idk. but bmw. when i was looking for a car it was either a beemer,benz,or gs. at the end i chose the gs. bmw is overrated. too many on the road.horrible prices.and turbo problems. ill stick to my gs with the occasional squeaky brakes.
Old 12-22-10, 03:51 PM
Firstlps
Driver

Originally Posted by mmade22
OP, Very nice upgrade and you should be a happy guy for the next 50k as BMW picks up all of your service bills. That is a nice perk and I would buy one knowing it cost me nothing out of pocket for the first 50k. Good luck with the car and enjoy the german engineering.

I had the dash rattle and it drove me nuts until I added 3 dollars of felt to the front of the dash where the windshield meets. It has made my car a Lexus again! Quiet and silent as it was made to be.

Get yourself some of this:

And stuff it here:

That should stop some of the waaa waa pants from complaining about the noise when it takes 10 minutes to fix.
Hey where did you buy that felt? I got that dash rattle now and it's driving me nuts. I still would not trade it for a beamer
Old 12-22-10, 03:59 PM
skim07
Driver

bimmer, not beemer. low maintenance and cost of ownership is definitely the reason why I drive it, but in general BMW has been producing more driver's car than any other brands of same class. I don't mean M cars either.

Quick Reply: Finally gave up on Lexus and went w/ new BMW 550