GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Weird problem -- all sounds disappear!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-10, 03:20 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird problem -- all sounds disappear!

I've been having a strange problem that started a few weeks ago: sometimes all the sounds in the car disappear: radio works but no sound comes out, bluetooth phone calls connect, but again, no sound. Even pressing the buttons (like temperature control) does not result in any beeps.

The problem comes and goes. Sometimes restarting the car fixes it, sometimes it does not. I can start the car and everything is fine, then five minutes later the sounds stop, then 15 minutes later they are back.

I had exact same problem 9 months ago when I first bought this car (used 2007 GS450h), but I traced it to a malfunctioning VAIS SLi unit at that time. Once the unit was disconnected, the problem went away. I had a VAIS SL2i installed at that time. This was about 8 months ago, and for 6-7 months the car was perfect.

This is very puzzling. Either the original problem was not related to removal of the old SLi, or the new SL2i is now malfunctioning in the same manner. It might just be a loose contact somewhere.

Any ideas? Anyone ever have same problem?
Old 08-02-10, 10:18 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Given that I've had no replies after over 60 views, I'm assuming that my problem is unique. Which is quite unfortunate, since this coupled with the fact that the problem is intermittent greatly diminishes my chances of getting it correctly diagnosed and fixed. Gotta try though....
Old 08-02-10, 10:40 AM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very strange. I'd start off by completely disconnecting your BT phone from the system and see if the issue stops. Sounds like something is intermittently connecting to your system. Dunno..just a thought.

If that does nothing for you, disconnect the VAIS unit and try again. The goal is to eliminate anything external first.
Old 08-02-10, 03:59 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dealer and let them trouble shoot it. Worse case is when it reach the dealer it works again. LOL
Old 08-02-10, 09:02 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TWong1200
Very strange. I'd start off by completely disconnecting your BT phone from the system and see if the issue stops. Sounds like something is intermittently connecting to your system. Dunno..just a thought.

If that does nothing for you, disconnect the VAIS unit and try again. The goal is to eliminate anything external first.
Good idea. I'll start there. Thanks.
Old 08-02-10, 09:50 PM
skinny gs
Rookie

It is likely the connection between the vais and your radio. it is not as tight as it should be. I had the exact same problem with mine.
Old 08-03-10, 06:44 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

yeah, I would remove the VAIS and troubleshoot from there.
Old 08-03-10, 02:18 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by skinny gs
It is likely the connection between the vais and your radio. it is not as tight as it should be. I had the exact same problem with mine.
THANK YOU! I just hope that the VAIS system is easily accessible. The previous one was behind the carpet in the driver foot well -- very easy to pull out carpet to disconnect it. I did not ask the installer where they put in the new unit. Will check the foot wells on both sides first...
Old 08-03-10, 02:50 PM
TWong350

Not much room in these cars. Most people place them behind the navi screen which will require you to pull the entire unit out. I was able to fit mine under the ashtray slightly to the left. See below.

Old 08-03-10, 03:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

sorry didn't see this post earlier. yeah, to me it seems like maybe the connection behind the radio where the vaistech harness goes into the radio. that harness is very tight, i always have to make sure i press very hard on it that it's tight.

locating the unit isn't your problem, i don't think that will help much. you probably need to check the connect right at the back of the radio, right at the bottom
Old 08-04-10, 06:12 AM
mr3gs300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u should always check all the connections, it may also be a problem with amp going into safe mode
Old 08-04-10, 06:24 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TWong1200
Not much room in these cars. Most people place them behind the navi screen which will require you to pull the entire unit out. I was able to fit mine under the ashtray slightly to the left. See below.

That's exactly where I stashed my GROM unit, and a good thing too because I have had to open things up at least twice after the initial install to reset the unit because their ****ty firmwares bricked it and required a hard reset (and taking the dash apart seemed like less hassle than resetting all of the electronics after a battery disconnect!).
Old 09-27-10, 06:33 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Default UPDATE: all fixed!!!

I'm happy to report that I have successfully troubleshooted and fixed the problem. I was able to find a post about identical problem on VAISTech's forum. Apparently the culprit is a defective Y-harness that comes with the SL2i unit.

I got a replacement harness from VAIS, and replaced it myself. Thanks to the great pictures and instructions on this board I was able to take out the head-unit to get to the SL2i to swap the harness. I was surprised how easy it was to take the dash apart. I would not have even tried had it not been for the instructions and pictures. So, again, HUGE thanks for these!

I also moved the VAIS unit from behind the headunit to the easily accessible location that does not require one to take apart the dash: it is now behind the carpet in the driver footwell. The carpet there is pulled out very easily. No need for tools, and no danger of braking anything.

I'm just ecstatic that I was able to fix the problem myself, and it was not related to the navigation wire-cutting hack!

Thanks to everyone who responded.
Old 09-27-10, 06:46 PM
TWong350

Sweet man! Good job! Glad it all worked out.
Old 09-27-10, 08:50 PM
bigblack06

Received 322 Likes on 219 Posts

I had the same problem happen to me, the cd would still be playing but the sound would just dissappear. its happend about 6 times over the time I have had the car. Brought it to dealership but of course they could not dupicate. But I do not have a vais device installed.

Last edited by bigblack06; 09-27-10 at 08:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Weird problem -- all sounds disappear!