GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS 3rd gen oil consumption legends-new owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-19, 12:04 AM
AeroLex1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GS 3rd gen oil consumption legends-new owner

Hi, sorry at the outset if this is a beat to death topic already. New owner has a general question, hoping to not open Pandora's box.
Recently bought a 2008 GS350 RWD one owner car with 64k miles. No evidence yet of oil consumption, and the car
appears to have been well maintained with regular oil changes. The internet can often provide one with a somewhat skewed
sense of how big a problem is with a car model, with the silent majority of owners who do not have a problem not present on various forums.

My question is, in general, how likely is it that one of these cars will start burning lots of oil between changes due to bad piston rings?
I have called a few local Lexus dealers and gotten a variety of responses. One told me it was worse in early IS350 models, another
said it was somewhat common, perhaps as high as 10pct of cars he (as a service writer) has seen, but also said there are high lots of high
mileage cars around without any trace of the issue. Is 10pct reasonable, or a wild swag? I suppose no one really knows.

Interestingly 3 different service desks at three different dealers told me to use 1)synthetic oil only 2) "we use a blend of synthetic and conventional" and
3) (this guy was adamant) use high quality conventional oil and change it regularly as the pre-2010 Toyota V6 engines were NOT spec'd or
designed for synthetic. There are a million opinions on oil and everyone seems to be an expert but I wondered what any long term GS350 owners
thought about this "guidance" on oil types. My inclination would be to go with conventional and change it around 3500 miles.

Has anyone put say, 200k miles, on one of these cars without major oil consumption problems? Thanks for your time.
The following users liked this post:
User 122922 (09-21-21)
Old 04-22-19, 01:16 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 794 Likes on 687 Posts

Im at approx 185K miles on a 08 gs350 awd, with no issues, I only use castrol conventional and I change at every 3k miles. I use castrol because where I live it is cheaper for me. If I were to chose I would run amazon synthetic oil, and run it for 3k miles. Sure the oil may last way beyond that, but the thing that causes oil consumption issues are the oil control rings on the pistons getting clogged up with carbon and crap, locking into place. Once those rings get clogged, then your oil goes past your oil rings and passes both compression rings, and eventually burning in the combustion chamber.

To me the more frequent you change the oil and filter the less likely chance of building carbon in the engine. From what I noticed mostly the guys who have this problem run their oil past 5k miles. I wouldnt be concerned about it, its not a common issue like on 2006 GS300's

If you want to use a mild cleaner in the oil right before and oil change. You can pour a little bit of seafoam a day or two before an oil change. This will help allow the detergent to help wash away grime/carbon.
The following 2 users liked this post by ibidu1:
Lwerewolf (04-22-19), User 122922 (09-24-21)
Old 04-22-19, 05:22 AM
potatomon
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Good advice to keep the rings clean, Also filter out blowby with an air oil separator. Oil needs to be resistant to vaporizing some oil the can fills up quick others not really. It will only burn oil if abused
Lwerewolf (04-22-19)
Old 04-22-19, 07:10 AM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 257 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by potatomon
Good advice to keep the rings clean, Also filter out blowby with an air oil separator. Oil needs to be resistant to vaporizing some oil the can fills up quick others not really. It will only burn oil if abused
Some oils (gtl/g4/g5, low/no VI modifiers) don't mind being abused much. Most off-the-shelf super multi-grade synthetics, on the other hand...

Wondering whether to go redline 5w30 or amsoil 10w30 for the next fill
Old 04-22-19, 07:32 AM
tghw
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

The vast majority of high oil consumption issues that I see reported here are from GS300 owners, before Lexus redesigned the induction system to use both port and direct injection. The GS300s only use direct injection which leads to carbon buildup on the valves/pistons. Of course, there are some reports of some GS350s using oil, but it's a far smaller number and it could be related to poor maintenance practices also.

I purchased an 09 GS350 AWD w/90k mi. over a year ago. It had an extensive maintenance history on Carfax and Lexus website, have always been serviced at Lexus dealerships. My car does not use a drop of oil between 5000-7500 mi. oil changes. I have chosen to use Red Line full syn 5w30 because of it's superior composition and wear characteristics. I also use Techron fuel treatment several times between oil changes to keep the valves clean and Lucas upper cylinder lubricant regularly to help keep the rings clean. I also changed my PCV valve to insure that the crankcase is being vented properly.

I don't expect to have any oil usage issues with my car. Time will tell.
Old 02-09-20, 07:02 PM
nikobsd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 GS350 awd

How can you tell how many quarts are consumed by looking at the dipstick? I put 7qts 500miles ago and will be monitoring the consumption. I brought this car with 3rd party warranty "engine and its lubricating parts" are covered.
Old 02-10-20, 08:15 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nikobsd
How can you tell how many quarts are consumed by looking at the dipstick? I put 7qts 500miles ago and will be monitoring the consumption. I brought this car with 3rd party warranty "engine and its lubricating parts" are covered.
Fill the oil to the upper mark.
Record the mileage.
When the oil level goes down between the lower mark and the upper mark, record the mileage.
Fill the oil back to the upper mark. Record oil usage.
Do the math for oil consumption.
Old 09-21-21, 07:31 PM
User 122922
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

im having the same question and wondering which oil brand are using now , I hav2 08 gs 350 with 113mi ,, any feedback will be much appreciated and do you think I should use high milage oil ? Thanks

Originally Posted by AeroLex1
Hi, sorry at the outset if this is a beat to death topic already. New owner has a general question, hoping to not open Pandora's box.
Recently bought a 2008 GS350 RWD one owner car with 64k miles. No evidence yet of oil consumption, and the car
appears to have been well maintained with regular oil changes. The internet can often provide one with a somewhat skewed
sense of how big a problem is with a car model, with the silent majority of owners who do not have a problem not present on various forums.

My question is, in general, how likely is it that one of these cars will start burning lots of oil between changes due to bad piston rings?
I have called a few local Lexus dealers and gotten a variety of responses. One told me it was worse in early IS350 models, another
said it was somewhat common, perhaps as high as 10pct of cars he (as a service writer) has seen, but also said there are high lots of high
mileage cars around without any trace of the issue. Is 10pct reasonable, or a wild swag? I suppose no one really knows.

Interestingly 3 different service desks at three different dealers told me to use 1)synthetic oil only 2) "we use a blend of synthetic and conventional" and
3) (this guy was adamant) use high quality conventional oil and change it regularly as the pre-2010 Toyota V6 engines were NOT spec'd or
designed for synthetic. There are a million opinions on oil and everyone seems to be an expert but I wondered what any long term GS350 owners
thought about this "guidance" on oil types. My inclination would be to go with conventional and change it around 3500 miles.

Has anyone put say, 200k miles, on one of these cars without major oil consumption problems? Thanks for your time.
Old 09-22-21, 01:05 PM
artfil91
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a similar issue in my 2009 GS350. It isn't substantial but I do occasionally see a blue puff on startup and it goes through about a quart in between oil changes. I change my oil every 5k with Mobil 1 full synthetic 5w-30 and an OEM Toyota/Lexus filter. I did read somewhere that a bad PCV valve ($9 part in most places) can cause oil consumption so I'm actually going to go out and buy one today and see if that helps. Does anybody else have any oil consumption experience with the 2GR-FSE engine?
User 122922 (09-22-21)
Old 09-22-21, 01:43 PM
User 122922
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I did actually changed my pcv valve 2 weeks ago , I did tune up changed head cover gasket using all oem parts , keep switching around between oil brand and type I was thinking my car didn’t like synthetic oil , so I went with catsrol gtx 10w30 which my car requires for 5w30, I’m thinking maybe thicker and conventional blends will help that smoke to disappear but so far I’m still seeing it. But anyway good luck and keep me update of you have any luck with that devil smoke 💨

Originally Posted by artfil91
I have a similar issue in my 2009 GS350. It isn't substantial but I do
occasionally see a blue puff on startup and it goes through about a quart in between oil changes. I change my oil every 5k with Mobil 1 full synthetic 5w-30 and an OEM Toyota/Lexus filter. I did read somewhere that a bad PCV valve ($9 part in most places) can cause oil consumption so I'm actually going to go out and buy one today and see if that helps. Does anybody else have any oil consumption experience with the 2GR-FSE engine?